Double Board Star Wars with Ray/Death Ray (2 Viewers)

Jeff

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Played a new (to me anyway) limit game last night. It was pretty fun. Pots were decent size, and I'd hate to see what a pot limit version might play like. I wonder if any of you already play this:

Anyhow, here's a mocked up card:

Screenshot 2024-01-20 at 3.38.14 PM.png

Assuming you either play "Ray" or "Death Ray" - the difference just being the cost of that optional down card at the end?

No antes or blinds right?

No ante's per se. You could fold. If you were first to act, and stayed in, lyou had lead out with the min bet for that round. Very few people folded for the $1 pre-flop bet, so while it wasn't an ante, it pretty much worked that way. But very few people folded $2 second round either. You're playing with a LOT of cards.

We played 3 rounds of this over the night, so I played 21 hands, and I can't say I'm an expert.

Yes one difference is cost, but the other difference is what you end up with as far as hole cards. With "Ray" you pay $5, (and get the new card), but you discard one card from your hand before you get the new card, so you end up with only 6 hole cards. With "death ray" you pay $10, get a new card, but end up will 7 hole cards.

From what I saw last night, if you haven't folded by that time, it almost always was worth it to get either Ray or Death Ray. Standing pat to save the $5 into a $100 pot didn't seem +EV.

Whether you got the card and which one you chose was based on the texture of your hand (your playing both low and high hands, playing one side only from your down cards, etc..) could cause you to want to pay $10 for the death ray to keep all your cards. The majority of the time you had a disposable card under that allowed you to cheap out to pay $5 for the extra card and discard the disposable card.

With "Ray" you pay $5, (and get the new card), but you discard one card from your hand before you get the new card, so you end up with only 6 hole cards. With "death ray" you pay $10, get a new card, but end up will 7 hole cards.
Aaaah OK that makes more sense, thanks. Sounds like a fun way of loosing a bunch of money lol. Can't wait until the meetup degens make it pot limit.

Also...another note...this guy said that order of dealing the flop boards was specific and different than usual. It is two boards, dealt one card top board, one card bottom board, one card top, one card bottom, one card top, one card bottom (instead of 3 cards top board, 3 cards bottom board). I don't know why.

But I put the numbers on the C cards to indicate order.

And your individual hand could technically scoop the pot (something like a suited wheel)?

And your individual hand could technically scoop the pot (something like a suited wheel)?
Not sure what you mean by individual hand. You could win both high and low in scoop.

One, both or neither of the wins could be 5 cards in the hole vs 2 cards in the hole using 3 on the board.

Using only the hole cards can obviously make a good blindside, but I think the best hand we saw under was a full house and there were several low wins under. Technically, there might not be a low qualifyer on the board (on either board).

Also...this game is one of the games that seems to take quite a bit of time to play. Sort of like when we first started playing scarney. I wonder if it will get faster with experience. Scarney has gotten a bit faster.

Not sure what you mean by individual hand. You could win both high and low in scoop.

One, both or neither of the wins could be 5 cards in the hole vs 2 cards in the hole using 3 on the board.

Using only the hole cards can obviously make a good blindside, but I think the best hand we saw under was a full house and there were several low wins under. Technically, there might not be a low qualifyer on the board (on either board).
The card says split pot high / low hand from either board, but either ( or both) could come from just the cards in your hand. Probably not likely (I’d image there are lots of houses here), but possible. That’s the kind of hand I usually run into at Dan’s meetup lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom