Does anyone use their regularly used garage for a regular poker game? (2 Viewers)

grantc54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
As the long title asks, does anyone have their in use garage setup for a regular poker game? I've seen a lot of cool setups in garages, but most look like cars are never parked there.

My wife and I park our cars in the garage daily but I could park them on the driveway for a game. With the cars in the garage it is pretty full, so everything would need to be mounted or fold up in order to be put away easily after the game.

My biggest concern is the floors. It rains a lot in BC, so the cars could often come in wet. Any suggestions on easy to clean floor?

Otherwise I think lighting, insulation, power and heating/cooling would all need to be addressed. I have a fridge, and good access to outside.

I'm starting to think this space may be my only option for a poker setup in this house.

Thanks
Grant

Yea our garage is our card room. We never park our cars in it. Only in the driveway. So i never put the tables away. Its always ready for a game :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

1579586730932.png

As the long title asks, does anyone have their in use garage setup for a regular poker game? I've seen a lot of cool setups in garages, but most look like cars are never parked there.

My wife and I park our cars in the garage daily but I could park them on the driveway for a game. With the cars in the garage it is pretty full, so everything would need to be mounted or fold up in order to be put away easily after the game.

My biggest concern is the floors. It rains a lot in BC, so the cars could often come in wet. Any suggestions on easy to clean floor?

Otherwise I think lighting, insulation, power and heating/cooling would all need to be addressed. I have a fridge, and good access to outside.

I'm starting to think this space may be my only option for a poker setup in this house.

Thanks
Grant

The cabin garage has been used for boat storage but now is a card room. While I dont have any real money invested in the garage to make it living space, I bought carpet from Home Depot to lay in there, no pad, just some cheap carpet. I just vacuum to get ready. If I were parking a car in there, I'd leave some cardboard down to catch any fluids. Even if you are tracking some mud in after it dries it is easily cleaned from the carpet with a shop vac. Concrete floors are magnets for dropped chips and the carpet prevents damage.

Thanks
Grant
I was planning on doing just this for our garage but we decided to go a different route on where to host our games. I looked into installing Swisstrax https://www.swisstrax.com/garage/interlocking-garage-floor-tiles/ or something similar. They are easy to install and handle water well, and vacuum dirt easily.

For insulation, you can use these panels for the garage door:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/si...ation-kit-stc-19-5-piece-/1001066322?rec=true

I park my cars in my garage, in fact have 3 car garage. 1 car section is a permanent gym and then I back out the cars for the game

I use mine, it's probably about the same size as @WhiteMamba1646's as pictured. We park one car in the garage and when I have my monthly game it gives me an excuse to clear the recycling and give it a good sweep.

It rains a lot here in Oregon as well...but there's not much runoff from the cars that can't be wiped up with a towel before sweeping.

A poker friend of mine finished her garage so that she can use it for parties/poker but she still parks her cars in daily. She had Nature Stone installed on the floor. TV’s on the walls. It’s. It’s not heated though so she only has games during the summer in the evening.

A08D3A65-6243-498B-8962-5A7BF4B6F4D0.jpeg
D83A7657-B255-438E-B1AD-28A82A429488.jpeg

Last edited:
concrete epoxy isnt to expensive and really simple to use if you worry about your floor, even have self leveling versions. The hardest part honestly is getting the floor super clean of oil or dirt. Pressure washer, tsp, bleach will do most of the work and then you can spot treat oil stains with OIL Vanish (home depot, advanced auto parts).

Fyi, floors not an issue nobody cares if wet or dirty and house stays clean.
I do have fridge, Heat and AC (in NJ).
Also side door for entry and bathroom right when u walk in house make it easy.

Edit: and of course full TV and music ...

I’m here this week ... not in full Hawai’i mode... in sort of banged up shape...I broke my arm badly a couple weeks ago and am basically just laying around the joint recouperating. Best place on earth to do it, though.
Sorry to hear, but sling pics or it didn't happen. ;)

Isn’t it expensive to heat the garage due to insulation costs? Does anyone use space heaters in the winter? Wondering if this is possible. Thanks

I am using an electric 220 unit for heat. It takes several hours to get up to temp on the coldest days but all in all works fine. Without heat or air my garage never goes below 40ish or above 80ish. And that is in the front by the doors. I would guess in the back where the chips are it is prob 5 degress warmer or cooler given the house walls. These are just the extremes a few times a year. Keep in mind my house is only 7yrs old and insulated well in the garage.

I guesstimate costs about $1 dollar per hr just from glancing at bill so figure $12 a week for my weekly game or 50 buck a month for jan and feb but less for dec and march ...

Unit was less than 200 and a friend helped me put it in. Garage was already wired for 220 so just needed to harwire unit in.

20151111_182040.jpg

I am using an electric 220 unit for heat. It takes several hours to get up to temp on the coldest days but all in all works fine. Without heat or air my garage never goes below 40ish or above 80ish. And that is in the front by the doors. I would guess in the back where the chips are it is prob 5 degress warmer or cooler given the house walls. These are just the extremes a few times a year. Keep in mind my house is only 7yrs old and insulated well in the garage.

I guesstimate costs about $1 dollar per hr just from glancing at bill so figure $12 a week for my weekly game or 50 buck a month for jan and feb but less for dec and march ...

Unit was less than 200 and a friend helped me put it in. Garage was already wired for 220 so just needed to harwire unit in.

View attachment 396655

Got one of these suckers for the garage now. Heats it up real quick haha

61FF6814-0C4C-47BE-A548-3A9C376F2DD0.jpeg

Nice, regular outlet?
Part of my problem is 11ft high ceilings so a lot of wasted space to heat in order to get down to normal level. But I do love the height in all other aspects.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom