Does anyone use their regularly used garage for a regular poker game? (1 Viewer)

You mean like this?
giphy.gif

I use my garage as card room almost every week.
I park my car inside every night, so when I'm hosting a poker game I need to clean the floor before.
It's easy because the surface is epoxy but I live in Iceland and in the winter time it can be really dirty because of the snow/salt/dust.
My garage is approx 25m2 so I have space for max 2 tables.
The area is heated and if we want to ventilate I just open a little the gate.
I hang my octagonal poker table in a corner and put on the legs just when the friends are coming.
I installed a pendant light to pull down over the table so the atmosphere is really cool while we playing.
Old flat tv, home teather 5.1 and Android tv box are the components of my multimedia setup, enough for the moment to stream some soccer games or play some sorround music.

Few weeks ago...
IMG_20191207_175214.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-07 at 18.06.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-12-08 at 00.38.44.jpeg

Dirty floor
IMG_20200309_160038.jpg

My homemade table
IMG_20200309_160134.jpg

IMG_20191101_173116.jpg

IMG_20200221_221314.jpg

Pendant light
IMG_20200309_160200.jpg

I like how you hang the table from the cup holders, but why wouldn't you hang it a little higher so that the rail is off the floor and less prone to damage?
Well, actually it's not touching the floor, it's just few millimeters higher. There used to be more space before, but I guess the weight of the table bent the hooks.
I'll try tomorrow to fix it.

One thing I did when I was garage hosting was got fans and a portable AC - helped with circulation with so many warm bodies.

@grantc54
I used to run games from my garage. It was great as far as space and the guys could smoke and whatnot. The issues that came up (and I am only mentioning this to help you out... they can be remedied, but take work)
- bathroom (#1 is ok outside as the garage was detached double in the backyard, but #2 meant inside which meant trekking indoors)
- temperature/heating (Ontario, Canada) - gets cold, so keeping the heat in,... we used a wood burning stove, but that was a pain for our clothing as we basically smelled like we had been sitting next to a camp fire. I would look into insulating and using space heaters.
- The setups above are all great, but the biggest issue for us cold weather folk it to make it warm so people arent playing in their parkas.

A poker friend of mine finished her garage so that she can use it for parties/poker but she still parks her cars in daily. She had Nature Stone installed on the floor. TV’s on the walls. It’s. It’s not heated though so she only has games during the summer in the evening.

View attachment 395642View attachment 395643
Gosh, poor guy on the left in purple undershirt is in the tank pretty hard...

- temperature/heating (Ontario, Canada) - gets cold, so keeping the heat in,... we used a wood burning stove, but that was a pain for our clothing as we basically smelled like we had been sitting next to a camp fire. I would look into insulating and using space heaters.
- The setups above are all great, but the biggest issue for us cold weather folk it to make it warm so people arent playing in their parkas.
https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tool...MI6s-ct8iH6QIVj_zjBx3RZQBKEAQYDiABEgIZu_D_BwE in my first home the garage was detached so several drunkathons happened in there. I used one of these and we were just fine year round, and I am just in Buffalo so your weather isn't that much different than mine.

I generally don't park my car in my garage, although I can and have when needed, but I did turn it into my poker room. I was planning to post a thread with pics of it before and after but haven't gotten around to it yet. Here are a few photos though. I got an epoxy floor and it turned out great. I went with NewAge cabinets after tearing everything out and insulating/sheetrocking the walls. I think it turned out great overall. Super happy with it. I still need to add some poker themed wall art, but otherwise, everything is done.

1588008286000.png
1588008315811.png
1588008338974.png

1588008083956.png

1588008027175.png
1588008053365.png
1588007923072.png
1588009240941.png

1588008585960.png
1588009055092.png
1588009089871.png
1588009125828.png

1588008644701.png
1588008722336.png

I generally don't park my car in my garage, although I can and have when needed, but I did turn it into my poker room. I was planning to post a thread with pics of it before and after but haven't gotten around to it yet. Here are a few photos though. I got an epoxy floor and it turned out great. I went with NewAge cabinets after tearing everything out and insulating/sheetrocking the walls. I think it turned out great overall. Super happy with it. I still need to add some poker themed wall art, but otherwise, everything is done.

View attachment 448414View attachment 448415View attachment 448416
View attachment 448413
View attachment 448411View attachment 448412View attachment 448408View attachment 448429
View attachment 448419View attachment 448425View attachment 448426View attachment 448428
View attachment 448420View attachment 448423
Sick garage Travis. Nice work.

Also - you need to design a custom Lakeshore felt for that table :wow:

@RainmanTrail

Astounding! How long did it take you? Did you add a door? I am guessing the side door is to get out... then you connected it to the house somehow?

The floor took about 2 days, tearout of the old cabinets took about a day, then insulation and sheet rock with mudding and taping took a few days, then insulating the roof and painting it took a few days, changing out the utilities took a few more days, replacing garage door took one day, installing all the cabinets took about 2 or 3 days. Altogether, it was probably 2 to 3 weeks worth of work. Well worth it. We have an attached garage though. The new door you see is because we remodeled the kitchen and relocated the garage door to a different wall so that we could expand the kitchen.

I've played in people's garages/pole barns that were not dedicated poker spaces. It does not make for a very comfortable setup.

Between having to go into the house to use the bathroom, the humidity, the and the breeze from having the door open, not to mention the lack of consistent heat in the winter months, it was less than ideal.

Doable? Yes. Will your peeps mind? Maybe, maybe not.

Great job @RainmanTrail!

My wife and kids and I were cleaning our garage Saturday and she was talking about getting Nature Stone put down in the garage. The concrete has lots of pitting in it. She wants to put a small pool in the garage for the kids this summer. We aren’t sure if the development pool will be open this year or not.

The bad thing about getting the flooring done is that we have to empty the garage for 3 days while it cures, ugh!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom