Development Thread for Future Matsui Group Buy (1 Viewer)

The star fields will get largely lost at actual size. The one on the left will be barely noticeable, the one on the right more noticeable, but the cluster will show as shades of grey.

The star fields will get largely lost at actual size. The one on the left will be barely noticeable, the one on the right more noticeable, but the cluster will show as shades of grey.
good point. That's why it's so hard working on such a small art board :banghead:

Some colour variations. I didn't like how the "LIP" was standing out too much.

Matsui GB 11.png

I've done a lot of labels, and made a lot of mistakes. :oops: May as well pass on the wisdom before people get something they're thrilled with on the screen, but kinda disappointed when it's on a chip.

Reactions: BNM
What's the label diameter on these chips? I just printed at 16mm diameter and the yellow looks best.

use the 23mm decal
-1.5mm for type safe zone (any type should be within 20mm)

Attachments

• Guide2.pdf
    374.2 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
There are some great star-theme personal sets out there. Via Lactea for one. I don't have my samples handy, but those show the reality of a small label that looks great and has solid detail.

Last edited:
For something with that much detail, you might want to go with the glossy decal. The glossy unfortunatly will show scratch marks and might be a bit slicker than the matte decals. I agree that the type with the yellow gradient from the top looks best, but I'm not sure how it will read when it's on the actual chip. The E is a little more washed out compared to the LIPSE because of the background. If I didn't know, I might read it as E-LIPSE. Maybe pulling the E closer in and having a black E behind it with a guassian blur so it pops more?

I'm using Hubble images since they are public domain. Here are a few different star fields/nebula examples. I tried to keep the star fields mostly dark. I made the text bold to stand out more. The bottom row has a glow around the text which looks fine when large but at small size looks a bit messy to me.

Matsui GB 13.png

Reactions: BNM
I'm using Hubble images since they are public domain. Here are a few different star fields/nebula examples. I tried to keep the star fields mostly dark. I made the text bold to stand out more. The bottom row has a glow around the text which looks fine when large but at small size looks a bit messy to me.

View attachment 214969

No glow. Top row, two on the right (3&4) appeal the most. If you can bold up a few of the fainter stars in 3, and thin out the rest of the star field a bit, I think you'd have a contender.

View attachment 214969

All of a sudden I can't un-see this as ELIPSE/E LIPSE, not ECLIPSE. Might want to show this to a few people and see what word they read this as. Dependingh on how that goes perhaps you want to consider making the "C" portion stand out a little more.

Just my 2c, and as much as I'd like to I won't be participating in the GB - so take or leave my suggestion :)

I'm reluctant to criticize a design that I'm not currently planning to order, but having said that, I have some feedback. I do not mean to antagonize or to condescend, but only (to try) to help!

Right now, that design clearly says "ELIPSE". It is not at all obvious that the visible crescent of the sun is supposed to be a "C" until after you've looked at the design for a while and thought about it. Which breaks the first rule of logo design -- if you have to think about it for a while in order to "get it" then your design has failed.

I'm not sure how best to fix it, but you might try making the moon/planet much bigger than the sun/star, so the ends of the crescent are closer to, say 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, than almost 3 o'clock. Here's the kind of thing I mean:

1541532701055.png

Maybe drop the corona/halo?

All of a sudden I can't un-see this as ELIPSE/E LIPSE, not ECLIPSE. Might want to show this to a few people and see what word they read this as. Dependingh on how that goes perhaps you want to consider making the "C" portion stand out a little more.

Just my 2c, and as much as I'd like to I won't be participating in the GB - so take or leave my suggestion :)

Took the words right out of my mouth ... I was writing my post when timinater posted this :)

Candara, with Agency FB a distant second. Here is the Via Lactea awesomeness:

1541532919436.png

You probably need to leave at least as much space between E and LIPSE as would be required for C in the same font.

For example the Tempus Sans version doesn't work because a C wouldn't fit in the current gap.

It's a very valid point. Smaller eclipse:
Matsui GB 15.png

You probably need to leave at least as much space between E and LIPSE as would be required for C in the same font.

For example the Tempus Sans version doesn't work because a C wouldn't fit in the current gap.

Also very valid point! More space:
Matsui GB 16.png

OK, I really need to do some work today or someone will fire me. Have at it with your feedback and I'll update later.

Work? What is that?

Tempus Sans and Candara look like carbon copies.... and are my personal favorites.

Last edited:
I’ve never understood why the 500 and 1K have such similar colored edge spots on the WSOP set?
I have always preferred the fuchsia/lavender version of 500 with black/grey spots for this set, while the light blue with burgundy/pink spots would make a nice 5K.
@Tommy :)

I would withdraw my interest with the current design trajectory. It is both somehow too plain and too busy at the same time for a chip inlay.

No offense to the the design itself or the designer - I just wouldn't be interested having that as the inlay for a poker a chip. Just not interested in a space theme set.

My mistake - fixed Tempus Sans
View attachment 215087

Candara.

But like @Gear stated: is there a way make the corona surrounding the moon less encompassing; whereas, it will more emulate a "C" rather than most of an "O" ?

Side note: @Darson, you're awesome for taking the time to provide all of these inlay mocks. Much appreciated.

I would withdraw my interest with the current design trajectory. It is both somehow too plain and too busy at the same time for a chip inlay.

No offense to the the design itself or the designer - I just wouldn't be interested having that as the inlay for a poker a chip. Just not interested in a space theme set.

I suspect this design will change significantly over the next weeks and months. Denominations added, space reconsidered design clarity limitations realized. If you have suggestions then now is the time.

I suspect this design will change significantly over the next weeks and months. Denominations added, space reconsidered design clarity limitations realized. If you have suggestions then now is the time.

Absolutely right.

As I said at the start, this is not an interest thread (though there is nothing wrong with expressing interest here). I encourage any not enamored with the design now to check back periodically. Things may or may not change to your liking. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom