Development Thread for Future Matsui Group Buy (3 Viewers)

But like @Gear stated: is there a way make the corona surrounding the moon less encompassing; whereas, it will more emulate a "C" rather than most of an "O" ?

Original on the left and some options with smaller arcs.

Matsui GB 19.png

At this point, I'd like to stop with Eclipse for now. I'm getting a bit blinded by it. I'd like to play with some other ideas, for example the mission patch or something not space - Joker?

Matsui GB 20.png

How about something poker related?
Suicide King?
One eyed Jack?
Something with the suits in a black/gray tone?
How about something like The Mirage chips?
I’ve always loved the colored palms, maybe with a black background and change the name to something like “PCH Club” in a neon light type text?
A64B5DA1-A920-4F14-95A1-72B4FACA6D05.jpeg

I know suicide King and Queen has been done before but what about suicide Jack or Joker? Has that ever been done before?

Love the jokers. A different joker per denom!)
As much as we'd love to have different labels per denomination, this is really a no-go as it can add up to 50c per chip in cost since Matsui charge $250 art fees for every different label. This option only really becomes feasible if we have 1000s of each denomination bought to spread the cost over more chips which is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Joker theme has potential, provided we stay away from Batman versions.....

Some may feel it's too close to scary clowns and creepy jesters. :)

Joker is an interesting direction. Of course I would have a ton of interest in a palm tree version for a tourney set :cool:

Then
I know suicide King and Queen has been done before but what about suicide Jack or Joker? Has that ever been done before?

As much as we'd love to have different labels per denomination, this is really a no-go as it can add up to 50c per chip in cost since Matsui charge $250 art fees for every different label. This option only really becomes feasible if we have 1000s of each denomination bought to spread the cost over more chips which is highly unlikely.

Then the multi-coloured hat joker may be the one. Perhaps w colours from all the chips, incorporated into the joker image, once colours finalized.

OK some examples: suicide Jack, full Joker and Joker head. These are all googled pics (modified a little) so once we have a consensus on the style, then I can make some alternates.

Matsui GB 21.png

Ok I get it.
You want astro theme.
Im out on this one.
But if anyone is planning on designing a bold, colourful, tourney GB set on Matsui or GOCC quality blanks, Im interested.

Ok I get it.
You want astro theme.
Im out on this one.
But if anyone is planning on designing a bold, colourful, tourney GB set on Matsui or GOCC quality blanks, Im interested.

Don't bail yet. The Astro theme wasn't getting huge response, and people seemed more intrigued by something more poker related but there are lots of possible ideas out there. The Zens are poker related but those were made and are well-regarded (we couldn't do the different inlays, though). The "tournament poker" set is classic. The "city of oaks" doesn't do anything for me, but seems popular to others. I'm hopeful that something great comes from this thread. I wanted to buy during @Tommy 's group buy, but the whole WPS design thing just feels like its been done a lot and the colors variance between the 100 and 500 weren't enough for my eyes. The quality of the chips in that group buy is supposed to be fantastic, though (barrel pending!), so keep the ideas coming.

1541628886085.png

Somebody asked me via PM a couple of weeks ago about starting a community designed fantasy chip set. Below is my response. Take it for what it's worth. :)

BGinGA said:
While a noble thought, a group thread for chip design will be a clusterfuck of major proportion. Always has been, always will be. Too many cooks spoil the broth, and it's hard enough to get just three people to agree on just a single design-related aspect regarding chips, much less 30 or 300 to agree to complete and total design. My strong advice is just don't do it. Come up with a design privately, and then offer it to the masses. Either they want it, or they don't, and expect multiple people to try and sway your design ideas anyway, regardless if you open them up to debate or not. Any other approach almost always results in chaos, including mixed feelings and resentment from those who participated but did not get their way, or felt their ideas were not given adequate attention. The wide scope of ideas already thrown into the ring in this convo with just a limited number of participants is a perfect example -- group design projects just don't work. Small private groups of three to five people maximum typically works best, and I've even seen groups that tiny fail miserably.

I hear you. And if I have to, I will.
But Ive only been creeping here a relatively short time, and I managed to follow at least 3 successful developments.
1- Sals Tangiers
2- Apaches Paulsons
3- PCF version of those
4- WPS

So although consensus wont happen, something productive can come of it, occasionally.

But I hear you. I may wait to see what Gene offers from the PGI purchase, and make a custom set w him.
So far in one year, I bought 1100 Tikis and 1000 Muertos plus samples and all went 100% perfect.

I'm just having fun doing these mock-ups. It's a nice way to procrastinate at work! At Matsui prices, this would have to be a design that I really like for me to actually buy in... I would guess the same for most.

With that said, some more!
Matsui GB 22.png

I'm just having fun doing these mock-ups. It's a nice way to procrastinate at work! At Matsui prices, this would have to be a design that I really like for me to actually buy in... I would guess the same for most.

With that said, some more!
View attachment 215350
Pirates are much cooler than space themes.

Pirates are much cooler than space themes.

Or Mob theme (Cosa Nostra or The Commision, Card Syndicate, Poker Mafia) with different slogans on perimeters like “fuggadaboutit”, “Kapeesh”, “Its just business”, etc...

What is the aversion to making a simple inlay designs like these? I’m positive something like this would appeal to a ton of people and would even be desirable to non chip collector types (like me).

Attachments

• 2EBB8DE1-9572-4CF2-BB89-13451A33E0F9.jpeg
    2EBB8DE1-9572-4CF2-BB89-13451A33E0F9.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 562B4F23-5404-44D8-A88C-C66741BF65B9.jpeg
    562B4F23-5404-44D8-A88C-C66741BF65B9.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 154
No aversion personally. I actually saw a dealer button like the green chip in first pic.
The guy who started this thread, likes astral themes and thats where this particular set is headed.
Start a thread with those ideas and see what happens.
But I think the reasoning is that those designs have been done and similar, existsting chips can be bought online if thats what you're after.
People want custom chips to have custom (different/unique) themes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom