Development Thread for Future Matsui Group Buy (3 Viewers)

But I think the reasoning is that those designs have been done and similar, existsting chips can be bought online if thats what you're after.
People want custom chips to have custom (different/unique) themes.

I have to disagree with that statement unless I’m missing a big part of the market. Other than Noirs and Protégés there are very very few classy non discript designs. I bought some scrolls as a travel set because they were the only have decent budget chips without some goofy theme. It’s seems that 99% of the quality generic poker chip market is themed designs.

Or Mob theme (Cosa Nostra or The Commision, Card Syndicate, Poker Mafia) with different slogans on perimeters like “fuggadaboutit”, “Kapeesh”, “Its just business”, etc...

As an American of Italian decent I find this to be cultural appropriation. :D Haha, just kidding....but I would personally never consider buying chips with like this.

I hope everyone is now getting an appreciation of how hard design is and why most people go to professionals and pay! I'm a rank amateur and have done 24 different designs, none of which have hit the mark.

The Paulson Noir/Elite design was done by J5 and he's a pro... and it shows!

You laugh:))) (me too), but that design is actually pretty. No joker needed. I like it. Work that one.
QUOTE="Darson, post: 637243, member: 4252"]Eclipse - check
Palm tree - check
Joker - check

View attachment 215548

Everyone happy?[/QUOTE]

What is it about those designs that makes you think they are simple?
I meant simple meaning nondescript as in no theme etc.

That said my father is a retired art director and has done stuff like that pretty quickly for me once he finally gets around to starting. He did the design for my avatar and the cocktail menu it went on pretty quickly among many other “jobs” I’ve asked him to do.

Last edited:
I hope everyone is now getting an appreciation of how hard design is and why most people go to professionals and pay! I'm a rank amateur and have done 24 different designs, none of which have hit the mark.

The Paulson Noir/Elite design was done by J5 and he's a pro... and it shows!

So lets get John to design the set for us. He’s fantastic.

We started designing a custom CPC set last year, but I decided to wait until I built a new poker room.

I have to disagree with that statement unless I’m missing a big part of the market. Other than Noirs and Protégés there are very very few classy non discript designs. I bought some scrolls as a travel set because they were the only have decent budget chips without some goofy theme. It’s seems that 99% of the quality generic poker chip market is themed designs.

Look at the Ornate set from ABC Gifts and the Appolon chips.

Ah, got it. I guess my point is that even with no theme (which I tend to agree with, btw) there's still a LOT of decisions and details to consider.

my father is a retired art director and has done stuff like that pretty quickly for me once he finally gets around to starting. He did the design for my avatar and the cocktail menu it went on pretty quickly among many other “jobs” I’ve asked him to do.

That's for a couple of reasons:

1. He is probably pretty talented, and obviously quite experienced. This is not a dig at you or anyone else, but knowing what you are doing makes everything go much more quickly.

2. He's not a committee. Designing something by yourself when you are talented and experienced, and know what you're after, is a LOT simpler than trying to invent a design to please everyone. (I know folks who think the Noir design is one of the best ever, and I know other folks who can't stand it.) See BGinGA's comments earlier :)

Alright, enough soapboxing from me. I agree, a design that is "non-themed but classy" is rarely a bad idea ... my point was that that doesn't make it any easier to design :)

Look at the Ornate set from ABC Gifts and the Appolon chips.
Those are beautiful. Just needs denominations . ;) But that is the type of chip I like

Ah, got it. I guess my point is that even with no theme (which I tend to agree with, btw) there's still a LOT of decisions and details to consider.

That's for a couple of reasons:

1. He is probably pretty talented, and obviously quite experienced. This is not a dig at you or anyone else, but knowing what you are doing makes everything go much more quickly.

2. He's not a committee. Designing something by yourself when you are talented and experienced, and know what you're after, is a LOT simpler than trying to invent a design to please everyone. (I know folks who think the Noir design is one of the best ever, :LOL: :laugh:and I know other folks who can't stand it.) See BGinGA's comments earlier :)

Alright, enough soapboxing from me. I agree, a design that is "non-themed but classy" is rarely a bad idea ... my point was that that doesn't make it any easier to design :)

He is very talented but takes for ever to get started. Once he does he goes fast. When I get around to my next custom set I expect to wait a month or so for him to start and about half a day or less to actually to to the work. But I can’t beat the price!!

I hear you on the committee thing but if someone just does it themselves and puts it out there many will be impressed. I had him do logos for a bunch of my neighbors home bars to use on our yearly bar crawl shirt. He kept wanting to go back and forth with them on the design. I told him “just to make something based on their initial idea and I’m 90% sure they will like it. What a designer may think is average blows most people away”. Everyone went with the first design and was very happy.

He is very talented but takes for ever to get started. Once he does he goes fast. When I get around to my next custom set I expect to wait a month or so for him to start and about half a day or less to actually to to the work.

I can relate. I would suggest that what's actually going on here, is that he starts right away, but only mentally. The ideas and designs percolate and refine for a month, such that when the time comes to put pen to paper (so to speak) it's just a matter of writing it down. (That's almost exactly what happens when I make original designs for myself. It takes a year to happen overnight.)

Palm tree with a "joker"?
Goldminer's Saloon.jpg

;)

I started a mock using a western theme, but quit when I realised that Matsui chips are not western theme style chips. Western is best reserved for Clay with hotstamps. Matsui should be (IMO) Asian themed, space themed, future themed, or some other "clean" concept.
I agree. Minimalist, Geometric Design

I think zombie jokers may have potential.

@Old State -- sic your dad on this project! See what fresh non-chipper ideas he may have.

May take him 10 months to even get started. He stresses me out every year for our bar crawl t shirts. I got the artwork over this year on the last possible day the printer would accept it:banghead:

@Gear, I wish you were right on him starting in his mind but unfortunately I don’t think that is the case. I have the idea in my head but he doesn’t start thinking about it until the very last minute. Super frustrating but he is free

a group thread for chip design will be a clusterfuck of major proportion. Always has been, always will be. Too many cooks spoil the broth, and it's hard enough to get just three people to agree on just a single design-related aspect regarding chips,

BG's quote of his quote rings true in part here, though I wouldn't exactly call this thread a "clusterfuck". Subsequently, it does become clear that while a conglomeration of endless ideas/opinions is great for creativity and brainstorming, it may not bet the best way to yield an excellent new set.

So... where does that leave this GB? Still on, of course. By all means keep the ideas coming here.

At some point (likely 2019) I'll select some of the what I consider the best from this thread and then talk to a TBD artist for some inlay workups. (no offense to @Darson, given everything you've done has been awesome). Once I'm at that point, I'll make a bona fide interest thread; where most of the design aspects presented will be near final.

If everyone turns green and vomits at the sight of that thread, then I'll punt and try again. With luck though, it will be something that people will want to take part in.

space mission patch themed and crazy bright colours would be cool. Denoms are too high for my use sadly

If/When this happens and there is enough interest, we could always include a 1 and 5. Just need to meet Matsui's order minimums to avoid fees.

After having played with the Matsui Horseshoe chips that Tommy organized, I'm totally in love with the sharp edges. I think they can make the edges as sharp as you want but this only works with some of the molds. I guess the edge geometry is another factor to consider...

My sincere apologies, but due to financial and other reasons, I cannot continue with this GB.

If someone wants the reigns, by all means take them. If not, @Tommy's Abbiati GB looks promising, though pricey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom