Chips that everyone else likes but just don’t do it it for you… and go (1 Viewer)

[*]Giant inlays - just no
[*]Photo giant inlays - anyone have some dice chips instead?

Agree

[*]Plaques - concept is cool, but not really fun or practical

Disagree if used solely for high denoms in a cash game. For example for 2/5 I have a Jack set which includes plaques for &500 and $1000. They seldom get in play but I think it is practical to make these stand out from the rest to avoid any confusion.

[*]Hotstamps - they wear, hard to see in poor lighting, and the hostamp reminds me of some cheap crap knickknack that was cheaply branded like the way you used to get a day planner stamped with your initials free with your subscription to Life magazine.

Disagree. My first “real” set was hotstamped THC solids and they have proved incredibly durable through probably 100 tourneys.

My experience with hotstamp‘s is that if they are in very good condition, they take a very long time to degrade. Once the foil starts to go, the degradation process accelerates. When well-sealed, it is hard to wear them down; once worn to where the outer layer is chipped or removed, it is easier to cause more damage.

Conclusion: Buy only minty hotstamps.[/list]

Disagree if used solely for high denoms in a cash game. For example for 2/5 I have a Jack set which includes plaques for &500 and $1000. They seldom get in play but I think it is practical to make these stand out from the rest to avoid any confusion.

I tried introducing them and while you are right that they don’t get into play, we had several situations where people completely mis-guessed someone’s stack when calling or making an all-in. I am sure we probably would have eventually gotten used to it, but it led to some people pretty upset with themselves (including me). I just think it makes more sense for all chips to be chips.

Well, don’t I feel like an idiot……
View attachment 759635
View attachment 759636
Nah, you have good taste :tup:

FF9C4E92-ABBD-4779-A111-63DE02F1890B.jpeg

• Giant inlays - just no
  • Photo giant inlays - anyone have some dice chips instead?
  • Plaques - concept is cool, but not really fun or practical
  • Well used chips - they aren’t buttery… they are butt. Excellent+ or gtfo.
  • Hotstamps - they wear off if you actually play frequently, hard to see in poor lighting, and the hotstamp reminds me of some cheap crap knickknack that was cheaply branded like the way you used to get a day planner stamped with your initials free with your subscription to Life magazine.

I guess you'll have to bring a guest set if you ever play at my house lol

Hotstamps - they wear off if you actually play frequently, hard to see in poor lighting, and the hotstamp reminds me of some cheap crap knickknack that was cheaply branded like the way you used to get a day planner stamped with your initials free with your subscription to Life magazine.
It’s legit the same process. I thought about starting a bible stamping business when I used to stamp chips.

I tried introducing them and while you are right that they don’t get into play, we had several situations where people completely mis-guessed someone’s stack when calling or making an all-in. I am sure we probably would have eventually gotten used to it, but it led to some people pretty upset with themselves (including me). I just think it makes more sense for all chips to be chips.

IDGI. Seems more likely that a stack (or a messy pot) would more easily get misjudged if it contains just 39mm chips.

For example, if I have a barrel of 1s, 3+ barrels of red 5s, a barrel of green 25s, and two big ol’ purple $500 plaques, the plaques should stand way the heck out.

IDGI. Seems more likely that a stack would get misjudged with chips.

For example, if I have 3+ stacks of red 5s, a barrel of green 25s, and two big purple $500 plaques, the plaques should stand way the heck out.
I've thought about trying plaques but they are just so awkward to handle. I really like having oversized larger denominations to help give the larger denoms a bit more heft.

The matsui emerald bay and horseshoe tributes. Too heavy, too sharp, too slick.
The emerald bays are the biggest disappointment of my time in chipping. I was so excited when we finished designing those, in spite of the spot shortcomings offered by matsui and they just felt so crap in person. I even managed to lie to myself for a few months and was convinced they weren't too slippery lol

The emerald bays are the biggest disappointment of my time in chipping. I was so excited when we finished designing those, in spite of the spot shortcomings offered by matsui and they just felt so crap in person. I even managed to lie to myself for a few months and was convinced they weren't too slippery lol

That was really disappointing. We play a lot of split pot games. Trying to move half the chips to a player on the other side of the table was a challenge. Slipperiest chips I ever played with.

We nailed the colors, edge spot flow, and inlay............

IDGI. Seems more likely that a stack (or a messy pot) would more easily get misjudged if it contains just 39mm chips.

For example, if I have a barrel of 1s, 3+ barrels of red 5s, a barrel of green 25s, and two big ol’ purple $500 plaques, the plaques should stand way the heck out.

We are just used to consciously and subconsciously judging value by eyeballing stacks of 39mm round chips. Especially after many years and decades of doing it. The plaques sometimes just didn’t register.

Those cookies were the bomb, not only did they look amazing, they tasted amazing.

Interesting... after @upNdown comment on TRKs being 38mm... I thought, there is no way. I mean I have never measured but can't be that much of a difference... went to the races last night... had a few Brews and decided that had to be a troll post! Woke up this morning and yup curiosity got me, so if it was a trolling post you win buddy!

But to those that are wondering... they are not 39mm
20210821_102935.jpg

But pretty damn close!! definitely not 38mm though!

But you got me Bro, I had to check

Interesting... after @upNdown comment on TRKs being 38mm... I thought, there is no way. I mean I have never measured but can't be that much of a difference... went to the races last night... had a few Brews and decided that had to be a troll post! Woke up this morning and yup curiosity got me, so if it was a trolling post you win buddy!

But to those that are wondering... they are not 39mm
View attachment 760158
But pretty damn close!! definitely not 38mm though!

But you got me Bro, I had to check
I’m surprised it’s that wide. I’ve only owned a few TRK singles, and they’ve always seemed noticeably narrower to me. And I thought it was commonly accepted that they were 38mm. Have you measured any others?

I’m surprised it’s that wide. I’ve only owned a few TRK singles, and they’ve always seemed noticeably narrower to me. And I thought it was commonly accepted that they were 38mm. Have you measured any others?
They’re commonly accepted as being about 38.5mm, but being hand-lathed resulted in variations that could bring chips anywhere from 38-39mm. Even among my small set of Pick Hobsons I can see that variation, but it’s only really noticeable while they’re racked up.

They’re commonly accepted as being about 38.5mm, but being hand-lathed resulted in variations that could bring chips anywhere from 38-39mm. Even among my small set of Pick Hobsons I can see that variation, but it’s only really noticeable while they’re racked up.
gonna have to go relathe them yourself, then

no choice

Can't have everyone liking the same chips otherwise it would be impossible to afford them :)

The labels on the PNY is part of what I like lol

The chips that seem to be adored by many but just don't do anything for me are the IOC chips
View attachment 759160

Yup. I know people love these, but I absolutely can't stand the $1 and $5. I think the colors/spots are just gaudy.

The other denoms are cool tho.

Last edited:
For me it’s not that they’re ugly as much as it is the stupidly high prices they go for. More than 5$ a chip for a not particularly good looking oversized label rhc 1$? 45$ a chip for the 1ks? Only the 25s are in the ballpark of “slightly unreasonable”.

Of course it’s supply/demand but if the 1s are actually that scarce then why are people even trying to make it work? What’s so special about them? It’s just a label on a basic chip!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom