Calling all PCF runners (2 Viewers)

Well, turned out 4-6 weeks wasn’t quite enough. I ran my first little test run since the spraining today. Just 2 km but the good news is I didn’t feel a thing. Hopefully all good tomorrow as well and then I be back to slowly increasing distance

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I am a runner. Well....used to be a runner, now more of a trotter. Trying to get back to it after a season of recovering.

Don't know how I missed this thread, but I am a runner. Well....used to be a runner, now more of a trotter. Trying to get back to it after a season of recovering.
I’m definitely on the has-been list as well. It’s frustrating since I felt I was on my way a few months ago before I sprained my foot pretty badly

Made it through 5k without any bitching from the foot. Can’t say quite the same about the lungs, but it still felt decent considering the 4 months hiatus I’m coming off of.

1C402783-896B-4B5B-9CEB-F92EA56516AE.jpeg

Great thread @Eriks!

I've liked running from my mid twenties, but it wasn't until my mid thirties that it became a passion of mine.

I have signed up for the Stockholm Marathon this year. It'll be my longest run, I've never run a longer distance than 13 km (8 miles).

During the fall I always focus on strength training to get myself prepared for skiing. The plan was to start my marathon training when I got back from the French Alps in January, but a skiing injury postponed it. So my first run was Feb 15.

What's the verdict from all you xberts, is 15 weeks of training enough to finish a marathon?

Anyone else using Garmin connect?
Yup! I bought a second hand Garmin Forerunner 645 Music last summer! It's really fun with all the stats, but I find the heart rate measurements a little shaky. It can be in the 180s then BOOM down to 135 for a few minues then right back to 180. I'm pretty sure it's the watch and not my heart that's doing that! Or, one can hope at least! :LOL: :laugh:

Great thread @Eriks!

I've liked running from my mid twenties, but it wasn't until my mid thirties that it became a passion of mine.

I have signed up for the Stockholm Marathon this year. It'll be my longest run, I've never run a longer distance than 13 km (8 miles).

During the fall I always focus on strength training to get myself prepared for skiing. The plan was to start my marathon training when I got back from the French Alps in January, but a skiing injury postponed it. So my first run was Feb 15.

What's the verdict from all you xberts, is 15 weeks of training enough to finish a marathon?

Yup! I bought a second hand Garmin Forerunner 645 Music last summer! It's really fun with all the stats, but I find the heart rate measurements a little shaky. It can be in the 180s then BOOM down to 135 for a few minues then right back to 180. I'm pretty sure it's the watch and not my heart that's doing that! Or, one can hope at least! :LOL: :laugh:
I’ve been meaning to tag you here since I heard you’re a runner, great that you found your way here anyway!

I’ve never run a marathon but they (and I) like to equate Lidingöloppet 30km to a flat marathon because of its topography. I think 15 weeks is enough assuming one has built up the basic training properly, so that the body can withstand increasing the mileage building up to the race. Make sure you’ve have at least a handful of 25-30km+ runs in before. I’m sure it can be done without preparing with long runs but I don’t think it would be a joyful experience (not that it should be when aiming for a certain time, but there is a difference between being exhausted and FUBAR).

Lidingöloppet 30km
Bucket list!
I think 15 weeks is enough assuming one has built up the basic training properly, so that the body can withstand increasing the mileage building up to the race.
Fingers crossed!
Make sure you’ve have at least a handful of 25-30km+ runs in before.
From what I've gathered, that seems to be the key approach: Among all other sessions during the week I should do a long run, gradually increasing the distance. I'm following a 16 week program suggested by Garmin. :)

I’m sure it can be done without preparing with long runs but I don’t think it would be a joyful experience
My wife tried that! She ran 10k a few times as preparation. She completed the marathon, but not without a stress fracture in her foot!

Not an expert, but I've finished one marathon. I'd say you've got enough time to make it enjoyable, just make sure you get those long runs in. No real need to go past 30km for those, and there's absolutely no need at all to go fast. Long runs should be slow runs... And increase the distance over time, just a little bit week by week.
Back off on total volume for the last couple of weeks and enjoy the marathon! And after that, a weekend of poker in Stockholm :)

there's absolutely no need at all to go fast.
Well... I figure that if I make the marathon in less than 4 hours I'll have a fighting chance to join the main event tourney at the #stockholmsyndrome :)

#lifegoals

Well... I figure that if I make the marathon in less than 4 hours I'll have a fighting chance to join the main event tourney at the #stockholmsyndrome :)
That's a pretty sweet goal to aim for though!
I'd be tempted to join you, but I've gotten a bit too heavy and I'm not running nearly as much as I should.... Maybe next year though, I might just trick myself into believing it's a good idea :D

Cool, I’ll look you up over there. I have a basic 230, it doesn’t measure pulse at the wrist and the chest stripe thingy isn’t working anymore. Wrist pulse measuring is obviously more convenient but probably not as accurate as you noticed.

From what I've gathered, that seems to be the key approach: Among all other sessions during the week I should do a long run, gradually increasing the distance. I'm following a 16 week program suggested by Garmin.

Definitely important, I ran my first half marathon under prepared. Was doing fine until 13-14km and then hit the wall big time and had to really struggle to finish.
My wife tried that! She ran 10k a few times as preparation. She completed the marathon, but not without a stress fracture in her foot!

I rest my case. Definitely a big feat. Women are generally way less pussies than men though, so don’t count on being able to duplicate.

Although I don't think the #stockholmsyndrome participants would mind this... ;-)

Haha

We’ll push starting time a few hours so you can do both

I did my first long run today, as ordered by Garmin: 90 minutes in zone 2 which on my watch is set to between 148 to 165. I have no idea if that is right for me, but anyway:

SmartSelect_20230225-230902_Connect.jpg

(9.37 miles)

It's the longest I've ever run. Quite nice running at a low puls, I haven't done much of that. It was very relaxing the first hour, then I started feeling sore. It felt like I could have run another 20-30 minutes, but not much longer. I guess I need to triple my endurance in the next 14 weeks...

One week later, another long run in zone 2. This time Garmin suggested 105 minutes.

SmartSelect_20230304-230329_Connect.jpg

(11.16 miles)

Since the "long run" last week I've had three runs of different types leading up to this one. I got to say I'm quite sore. Not the heart/lungs, they feel great, it's the body. I was feeling the strain within half an hour and the last 15 were pure will.

I'm beginning to feel that the regime might be a bit too advanced for me, but I'll give it one more week. Next Saturday is 2h! :eek:

I got some company along the way :)

20230304_230634.gif

20230304_230501.gif

Now c'mon PCF runners, I can't be the only one running around! Let's not make this my personal marathon blog! ;)

One week later, another long run in zone 2. This time Garmin suggested 105 minutes.

View attachment 1092887
(11.16 miles)

Since the "long run" last week I've had three runs of different types leading up to this one. I got to say I'm quite sore. Not the heart/lungs, they feel great, it's the body. I was feeling the strain within half an hour and the last 15 were pure will.

I'm beginning to feel that the regime might be a bit too advanced for me, but I'll give it one more week. Next Saturday is 2h! :eek:

I got some company along the way :)

View attachment 1092888

View attachment 1092889

Now c'mon PCF runners, I can't be the only one running around! Let's not make this my personal marathon blog! ;)
I got a personal runners coach for birthday a few years ago. Included was a program in preparation for a half marathon and x number of joint running sessions. One of the things that I really took to heart was doing a recovery week every 5th week. It meant doing the same number of runs but a lot shorter distances and no speed runs or intervals. Also focusing on different running strength exercises.

Season premier and season closing on cross country skiing yesterday. One of the negatives of living in the Stockholm area is virtually not being able to ski at all. I won’t do the short overpriced and over crowded artificial snow tracks.

Premier in Malung, Dalarna which normally has amazing 21 km tracks. Fee is five bucks and one is pretty much alone. Wasn’t a very pleasant premier unfortunately as strong winds had left half the forrest in the tracks which made it impossible to get any speed going and I was forced to cut it short.

BBD7CB08-77E2-4BFE-88D5-C0DAED5A8E2A.jpeg

Train for a marathon, they said.
It'll be fun, they said.

My calves hurt like a m#ther f@cker!!!

Finally mustered the energy to take a screenshot.

20230313_001920.jpg

(14.7 miles)

I'm not gonna lie, this was not pleasant at all. But it gives my hope for June! Woah, I'm half way there! Wo-ah! Livin' on a prayer!

I ran into no less than 7 (!) deer this time!

So I'm getting ready for my weekly long run and I look up what Garmin has prepared for me:
SmartSelect_20230325-235757_Chrome.jpg

I'm like WTF!!?! This must be a joke. This is how I picture the good folk at Garmin:

SmartSelect_20230321-201555_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20230321-201612_Chrome.jpg

Thankfully there's an edit button, I set it to 2h instead.
I held zone 2 until the last 2 km when I saw I had a good chance to do a half marathon in sub 2h, so I kicked it up a notch. The result:
SmartSelect_20230325-235553_Connect.jpg

(13.1 miles)

I'm not as beat up as last time, but then again, this one was shorter.

So after that ^ run I got a really sore heel, started limping around. I haven't had a run since. Turned out to be bursitis, should be cured within a week with anti-inflammatory pills. My new shoes are the culprit, caused friction on the achilles.

So I've lost 2 weeks of running, will probably lose 1 more, which cuts my marathon training down to 12. But there might be a silver lining. The physical therapist I've been seeing because of this turned out to be an expert on running, on everything from running technique to exercises for strengthening key muscles to help you run more effortlessly and become less injury prone. Maybe it won't make up for the lost time this time around, but hopefully the injury was a long term win for me.

In case anyone is interested, here's two of the exercises he's pushing and the reasoning behind them:

So after that ^ run I got a really sore heel, started limping around. I haven't had a run since. Turned out to be bursitis, should be cured within a week with anti-inflammatory pills. My new shoes are the culprit, caused friction on the achilles.

So I've lost 2 weeks of running, will probably lose 1 more, which cuts my marathon training down to 12. But there might be a silver lining. The physical therapist I've been seeing because of this turned out to be an expert on running, on everything from running technique to exercises for strengthening key muscles to help you run more effortlessly and become less injury prone. Maybe it won't make up for the lost time this time around, but hopefully the injury was a long term win for me.

In case anyone is interested, here's two of the exercises he's pushing and the reasoning behind them:
Still plenty of time, hope you’ll be back at it soon.

Been meaning to leave the 10k comfort zone for a while and while it wasn’t super comfortable, I squeezed out a few extra ks today.

EA203F00-6E6B-4E6A-B6E4-836E0734E1CF.jpeg

Good job!

I've been a heelstriker since forever, any tips on how to start running properly? I've watched a bunch of youtube videos etc, but it's impossible to know if your technique is good or not.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom