Calling all PCF runners (2 Viewers)

A little more than 60 kms (37,3 mi) in August and 23,6 kms (16,3 mi) so far in September. Will shoot for at least 80 km this month and then keep increasing. Temperature wise this is my time of the year. I love running when it’s cool and even in the winter when it’s well below freezing.

I’ve also got a little confidence back to increase speed on some of my runs after running a corporate relay race 5 x 5 km together with people from work. Finished my 5k (3,1 mi) in 22:40. Not very fast, but I estimated I would barely break 25:00 so nice surprise there.

I’ll try to match you…just for fun! I’m only at 5k right now though so have to do some catching up! (Early fall is my favorite time to MTB instead!
That does look like a lot of fun. I’m becoming less and less adventurous the older I become though. Do you use clip-ins? Mostly I don’t need another expensive hobby, but it would be fun to try

What shoes do y’all use? I used to run in some mid range Asics and I have basically suffered from every run related injury that’s out there. After the debated Nike vaporfly next was released, I tried a cheaper version, Nike zoom fly, and haven’t had a single problem whatsoever since.

I tried running in a pair of my old Asics not long ago and I felt like every step was super heavy and I really had to struggle. I guess all brands have their version of the Vaporfly nowadays but I will never buy any other shoe again. They are incredible! When I get back to where I was I will treat myself with a pair of the Vaporfly next.

These are the ”cheap” ones I have right now

View attachment 981105
I choose ASICS Kayano year by year. Gives me a bit of stability while over pronating.

25 pounds ago, I also used ASICS DS Trainer as super lightweight shoe for speed runs.

Do you use clip-ins?
Because I'm mainly training MTB for Adventure/Expedition Racing too...I've found being able to put my foot down from flats to be far better when it's 3am and I haven't slept in a day or two so I ride high quality flats vs clipless (they're VERY thin, lots of studs to lock into your shoe, etc.). Most of the top-level racers ignore that benefit though and go with clipless (i.e. "clip in").

Bikes can certainly cost as much as a fairly nice used car so beware :)...but you definitely don't need to spend all that much to be able to get out and have fun (especially used). Consider it cross-training for running...and every day you ride you don't wear out your running shoes...or something like that :)!

I think people, spend thousands in poker chips and digging deeper and deeper in that rabbit hole are at high risk of spending a LOT of money on bikes.

Just my 2 cents from a young chipper who just bought in January a Worldtour proven bike with 6.5kg, new Dura Ace Di2 and a carbon frame for which the manufacturer needed permission from the Japanese military.

I love the ASICS gel contenders which are the cheapest ASICS. Can’t bring myself to buy Brooks. I normally buy a couple pairs at the Tax free Rehoboth outlet once or twice a year. No leg or knee issues in years thankfully

I think people, spend thousands in poker chips and digging deeper and deeper in that rabbit hole are at high risk of spending a LOT of money on bikes.

Just my 2 cents from a young chipper who just bought in January a Worldtour proven bike with 6.5kg, new Dura Ace Di2 and a carbon frame for which the manufacturer needed permission from the Japanese military.
Yes, that would be my number one fear :). I know myself well enough to be fairly certain I wouldn’t settle for the low end stuff if I got really hooked.

Yeah, prices for high end Road bikes and also MTBs just went crazy the last years since COVID.

Thought about an fully MTB beside to my road and gravel bike (N+1 -> also dangerous when riding bikes :-D ) but the high prices, but above all the certainty that I would get to know my limits very painfully in a very short time, have kept me away so far.

I love the ASICS gel contenders which are the cheapest ASICS. Can’t bring myself to buy Brooks. I normally buy a couple pairs at the Tax free Rehoboth outlet once or twice a year. No leg or knee issues in years thankfully
Asics gel is what I used before getting my first Nikes. Have nothing bad to say about them, but I wouldn’t go back. They’re perfect for me

Maybe I give this new kind of shoe a try next time. I think ASICS has a similar Modell since a few month in their lineup

Maybe I give this new kind of shoe a try next time. I think ASICS has a similar Modell since a few month in their lineup
It was a total game changer for me. I believe all or most brands have an equivalent of that Nike one now

Closing up a nice 28 km (17,4 mi) week with the longest run since April. Gotta be careful though, felt the volume increase in the knees over the last few ks. Anyone else using Garmin connect?

CDAE4E87-1C6A-4E6C-B614-ED72436ED293.jpeg

Closing up a nice 28 km (17,4 mi) week with the longest run since April. Gotta be careful though, felt the volume increase in the knees over the last few ks. Anyone else using Garmin connect?

View attachment 985003

Just a short and slow mini round…

A5E07ED3-84D7-4B58-ABE2-10C3CA5543BA.png

I am using all relevant platforms for me since using RunGap on iOS. There you can consolidate all data from different platforms and share them to all used platforms.

This Workout for example was just tracked with the Apple Watch and shared from Apple Health via RunGap to Garmin connect.

Brooks Ravenna or ASICS
I just got brooks last year and I absolutely love them
Been running for decades and used to be a loyalist to Nike. That was until several years ago when I promised myself I’d never buy a Nike product. My girlfriend is a marathoner, and she’s been trying for years and years to get me to get out of Nike. She convinced me to try Brooks. Boy, was she right. There is absolutely no comparison in the quality. Nike is truly garbage when up against them. My favorite is the Ghost model.

You know the saying, “Once you go Brooks, you never go back.”

In Croatia for the week. Rented an airbnb place in the mountains. Ran the 1,6 km (1 mi) downhill and kept going flat for a bit before turning around and trying to go uphill - no-go. Had to walk a fair bit of the steep parts on the way up. Gonna give it another try later in the week.

AE584B4F-9815-447C-8830-E28555CFEF9E.jpeg

What shoes do y’all use? I used to run in some mid range Asics and I have basically suffered from every run related injury that’s out there. After the debated Nike vaporfly next was released, I tried a cheaper version, Nike zoom fly, and haven’t had a single problem whatsoever since.

I tried running in a pair of my old Asics not long ago and I felt like every step was super heavy and I really had to struggle. I guess all brands have their version of the Vaporfly nowadays but I will never buy any other shoe again. They are incredible! When I get back to where I was I will treat myself with a pair of the Vaporfly next.

These are the ”cheap” ones I have right now

View attachment 981105
Brooks

Closing up my best month since October of last year. Running is starting to feel quite easy again. Super happy with the volyme and the fact that I haven’t really had any issues with the increase. Trying to eat better as well so I can get rid of the 5ish kilo (11 pounds) over weight I’m still dragging around

FE457B72-69D4-40BC-A42E-E21B404B33F5.png

(62,75 mi)

Afraid I’m out for a while. Yesterday’s run earned me a trip to the emergency room after a really bad step. I’m there right now waiting for results on x-ray. Hopefully nothing broken at least.

008E1020-7B09-4CC9-AC2B-A94692917B1C.jpeg

Good news, it’s not that bad. Very small fracture but technically regarded and treated as a spraining. In other words not treated at all. I got crutches but am suppose to use the foot as much as possible. Will be back to running in like 4-6 weeks hopefully.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom