Calling all PCF runners (1 Viewer)

Eriks

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to start this thread for a while now. Figured there must be others who enjoy torturing themselves on a regular basis. And that we could use this thread to inspire each other. I know at least @FordPickup92 and @Freudeus are runners.

My running background: I have started many times in my life, but the start in 2016 is the only one that has lasted more than a few months. Up until the pandemic I ran quite a lot (at least for a close to middle age dude with two kids), 55-60km per week over 4 sessions. Usually 2 distance runs, 1 speed/interval run and one long run on the weekend.

I had a long term goal of running the 10k under 40 minutes. I believe I would’ve had a good shot to make it in one of the races I was booked for during the spring of 2020. Naturally, the races didn’t happen and I gradually lost motivation and ran less and less and got fatter and fatter. Starting August 2022, I am getting back on the saddle. Goals are a lot more modest right now:

- I want to slowly build up kilometers/week to where I was.
- Don’t wanna be a fat dad on the beach next summer
- I wanna start running ”fast” again and start doing interval sessions.
- long term goal is still the sub40 10k, but it’s way ahead right now.

I’m pretty focused on chasing times for my own training as I need it to keep myself motivated but please feel free to join in here no matter if you couldn’t care less about times, or if you’re a way faster/better runner than I am. Whatever ambitions you might have with your running, it’s nice to find likeminded. We could share tips on training, gear, vlogs to watch, races, food, whatever.

For the past month I’ve been running 3 times a week, 6+6+10k and doing strenght and stability training twice a week.

This is me doing 4 x 2,5km trail speed intervals in on a saturday evening in 2019

8A9930CE-4782-4EAF-BEDC-04A1CB8422A4.jpeg

And this is me after a very modest 5k run August 2022. (The fuck happened?) Got some work to do!

27C9343F-A36C-455A-82A4-5829D9DCDF7B.jpeg

Who is with me?!

Also, (and I know I didn’t adhere to this myself in the OP) but please, when making a post containing distance and/or tempo, write it out in both km and miles. I’m sure xxxx per kilometer means as little to the US folks as xxxx per mile means to me. So please do that. It’s just annoying to have to convert, makes it a lot easier to follow.

I am a big runner. I do 7 miles three nights a week. Two of which I do while playing online poker. I am also a not very slender so I don’t look like a runner lol. I’be done 3 marathons with a best time of 3:33 but haven’t in about 4 years due to having young kids and not wanting to leave my wife with them for hours on weekends for long runs. A 20 mile training run takes me like 4 hours and I’m ruined the rest of the day. But I look forward to getting in to those again one day….

Cool! I’ve never done a marathon. Longest is a 30km (18,64mi) trail run. I did do a half marathon at just under 1:39 which should translate reasonably close to a 3:33 full marathon (should I train for it).

I agree, finding the time for long runs is difficult. My kids are 9 and 15 now though so I should be able to

Here's my stats from a few days ago, rarely do I have time to run long distance, and also in part to my knees not being able to take it. I typically put a mile and half in at work during my lunch break. I'm trying to get back under 10 minutes, that's my goal for now. Many moons ago when I was 14 I ran 5 miles every day and placed in a 5k, I'd have to dig up the picture to find the plaque I was given. Anyways, I try to run at least 4 times a week, and on my "off days" I lift weights and do workouts for my arms and abdominals

Screenshot_20220901-162759_Samsung Health.jpg

Ok…I went back and forth, back and forth.

The training I do is for Expedition Races (multi-day navigation challenges…let’s call a 120hr race the norm!). So I tend to train for long-slow-shuffling vs traditional racing.

But I’ll play along…you all need someone to consistently beat!!

I’m not a runner. I run on occasion, but more for a change in workout-type than improving my pace/distance/etc.

However, my wife runs everyday. Every. Day. Since May 23, 2020. For those counting, that’s 832 days in a row as of today.

Her original goal was to just complete 1 mile (1.6 km) per day to create consistency. Some days more, but never less. That is still the running goal today - minimum is always 1 mile (1.6 km).

This summer, she has averaged between 15-25 miles per (24-40 km) week. Again, sometimes 1 mile (1.6 km), sometimes 3 miles (~5k), sometimes 7-10 miles (11-16 km). It is usually dictated by how much time she has. Isn’t that true of most of us!?

She has recently made a goal to strength train more (2-3x/week), but her running frequency is still daily and still always a minimum of 1 mile. (Overall distance is down, but to be expected.)

From my perspective, it’s all about consistency. Training programs and running programs are great, but mean nothing without consistency.

Be consistent and I have no doubt you can hit your goals.

Ok…I went back and forth, back and forth.

The training I do is for Expedition Races (multi-day navigation challenges…let’s call a 120hr race the norm!). So I tend to train for long-slow-shuffling vs traditional racing.

But I’ll play along…you all need someone to consistently beat!!
That is unreal. Dare I ask how many miles/kilometers you typically cover in those races

Also have an eventful runner past and just struggling with the ego from before.

Come back later with a few impressions.

Also have an eventful runner past and just struggling with the ego from before.

Come back later with a few impressions.
Nicely put! That is definitely a thing. I have trouble running my easy runs slower than I used to. Which obviously makes them not so easy

I can really recommend the ”Team Ingebrigtsen”tv-series. They are a running family from Norway that Norwegian tv has followed for a number years. First it focuses on the older brothers Henrik and Filip and their training and racing together with their colorful dad/trainer, Gjert. The younger brother Jakob is only 13-14 in the beginning but the focus gradually shift towards him. The series follows the entire family on and off the running course.

I suppose everyone the least bit interested in running now know the name Jakob Ingebrigtsen pretty well.

Truly a must see imo

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpnN1SizpICbL-dIbjgVU42cc9kNcolBo

Last edited:
I’m 55 and between 1990 and 2015 I basically ran 6 miles a day about 5 days a week. I’ve never ran more than ten miles, my best 10k was 42 minutes. I’m so addicted and I’ve never done it for anyone but me, and have never wanted to do a marathon. In 2015 overuse shredded the tendons in my left ankle and I needed surgery. My feet are totally flat so the doctor also put a cadaver bone wedge in the top of my foot to change my heel strike. It worked and I am back running but I have toned it down and tried to be less obsessed. I also walk and ride a bike etc. I also put on some weight around this time and I have been working to lose that, it feels much better to run without an extra 25 lbs on your belly! Anyway I love it and would recommend it as an excellent life therapy for people that enjoy running. I know many hate it just like I’ve never enjoyed weight training. But I’m almost 55 and I’m a 32 year runner I guess.

In 2011, I weighed 102 kg @ 1.79m and smoked about 30-40 cigarettes a day. I was 25 years old and had just bought my first iPhone. I found the app Runtastic and thought it would be a great idea to go running with this new device. After 800m I collapsed and an old man on the side of the road laughed at me. That evening I decided to smoke my last cigarette and made a firm resolution to change my life and become healthier and more athletic.

Here's a photo of me at the time (Yes, it's a mustard colored Ed Hardy t-shirt with gold metallic logo. o_O )

7B8D01C4-063C-4D10-9AE3-C4C946F24AB0.jpeg

In the following six months I stopped smoking, stopped drinking alcohol, ate healthy food and lost about 30 kilos. I also went running several times a week and made rapid progress. Suddenly it was 10 km, then 15 km, getting faster and faster, and suddenly I was running my first half marathon without competition. I think I became pretty addicted to running after a short time. But in a positive sense.

In May 2013 I ran my first marathon in 3 hours 36 minutes. It was a marathon that led through four cities in the Ruhr area.

There is a great rivalry between the two soccer clubs Borussia Dortmund and FC Schalke 04. The marathon led at the end through Gelsenkirchen, the city where Schalke is a part of. I ran the marathon in a Borussia Dortmund jersey. Small fun fact is that I ran just before the finish at kilometer 38 through Schalke and I ran this kilometer then 1 minute faster than before. Everywhere on the roadside there were drunk Schalke fans and I was worried that someone throws a bottle at me.

B2060315-C07E-4CCA-84E7-76FDD43FBF21.jpeg

All in all, between 2014 and 2015 I ran the Berlin Marathon twice, this marathon in the Ruhr area and once a marathon in my home city of Essen.

A3A8FEEF-6598-42BC-8F3E-719F9D047CB6.jpeg

70EFF31B-BF7C-44D9-A896-7CEE35E487EA.jpeg

BB144D01-1370-4C89-A78D-351A4F0261A3.jpeg

After taking it easy for a year, I then ran the Paris Marathon again in spring 2018 first in my best time of 3 hours and 29 minutes and four weeks later the Hamburg Marathon in 3 hours 30.

12CBA886-9198-4F85-B4B5-3452FE4BF5BD.jpeg

9AF8BF99-E3DD-480D-AE36-67F82807CBA9.jpeg

After that, at some point I had problems with the Achilles tendon and the ankle. So that I decided to switch more to the road bike and became just as passionate road cyclist for a year and a half.

64667B33-30E5-4D7C-8242-71833BFF5527.jpeg

Unfortunately, then came COVID and my first COVID disease has thrown me pretty much off track and I could unfortunately never get back to the previous fitness level.

Currently I torture myself mostly once a week to run and otherwise ride 3-4 times a week leisurely bike, mostly rather gravel bike instead of road bike.

I have unfortunately gained quite a bit of weight and currently weigh 13-14kg more again than before COVID.
Nevertheless, your thread here has motivated me, Mister @Eriks, get up the ass today and to give everything. It has then become 14 km. Better than nothing!

A9BE6071-4730-4C31-99D9-0202C1A4FACC.png

Looking back, it was the best turning point in my life. I am convinced that all the attitude, discipline, perseverance also had the most positive impact on my personal and professional life.

In this sense... happy running. Ralf

... also in part to my knees not being able to take it.
Save those knees for your older age while you can, because once you have to have one replaced, your distance running days are over forever. There are other cardio training methods -- like bikes and ellipticals -- that don't destroy your knees.

That is unreal. Dare I ask how many miles/kilometers you typically cover in those races
Could be all over the map because a typical race involves multiple stages of trekking, biking, and paddling (at very different speeds obviously) but can also mix in all sorts of other things to keep it interesting (ropes, canyoning, etc). There’s also no marked course…just a team’s navigator with a topo map and compass deciding how to get from A to B which can mean slowing to a craw as you shlog through thorns, knee deep mud, or anything else you come across!

All of that being said…the last 5 day race I did was around 300mi/500km to clear all the points over the various disciplines. A typical team will sleep around 10hr total so maybe 110hrs of moving to cover that distance? But a race that covers less distance in the same number of days can easily be more difficult, one that covers more could easily be easier. Just depends on what’s along the way!!

If you’re interested and have Prime, check out Bear Grylls World’s Toughest Race. It was a reboot of the EcoChallenge races from a few decades ago. A bit more ‘made for TV’ than most races, but it gives a solid idea of what they’re like!

I’m not a runner. I run on occasion, but more for a change in workout-type than improving my pace/distance/etc.

However, my wife runs everyday. Every. Day. Since May 23, 2020. For those counting, that’s 832 days in a row as of today.

Her original goal was to just complete 1 mile (1.6 km) per day to create consistency. Some days more, but never less. That is still the running goal today - minimum is always 1 mile (1.6 km).

This summer, she has averaged between 15-25 miles per (24-40 km) week. Again, sometimes 1 mile (1.6 km), sometimes 3 miles (~5k), sometimes 7-10 miles (11-16 km). It is usually dictated by how much time she has. Isn’t that true of most of us!?

She has recently made a goal to strength train more (2-3x/week), but her running frequency is still daily and still always a minimum of 1 mile. (Overall distance is down, but to be expected.)

From my perspective, it’s all about consistency. Training programs and running programs are great, but mean nothing without consistency.

Be consistent and I have no doubt you can hit your goals.
Wow! She’s awesome!

In 2011, I weighed 102 kg @ 1.79m and smoked about 30-40 cigarettes a day. I was 25 years old and had just bought my first iPhone. I found the app Runtastic and thought it would be a great idea to go running with this new device. After 800m I collapsed and an old man on the side of the road laughed at me. That evening I decided to smoke my last cigarette and made a firm resolution to change my life and become healthier and more athletic.

Here's a photo of me at the time (Yes, it's a mustard colored Ed Hardy t-shirt with gold metallic logo. o_O )

View attachment 980301

In the following six months I stopped smoking, stopped drinking alcohol, ate healthy food and lost about 30 kilos. I also went running several times a week and made rapid progress. Suddenly it was 10 km, then 15 km, getting faster and faster, and suddenly I was running my first half marathon without competition. I think I became pretty addicted to running after a short time. But in a positive sense.

In May 2013 I ran my first marathon in 3 hours 36 minutes. It was a marathon that led through four cities in the Ruhr area.

There is a great rivalry between the two soccer clubs Borussia Dortmund and FC Schalke 04. The marathon led at the end through Gelsenkirchen, the city where Schalke is a part of. I ran the marathon in a Borussia Dortmund jersey. Small fun fact is that I ran just before the finish at kilometer 38 through Schalke and I ran this kilometer then 1 minute faster than before. Everywhere on the roadside there were drunk Schalke fans and I was worried that someone throws a bottle at me.

View attachment 980302

All in all, between 2014 and 2015 I ran the Berlin Marathon twice, this marathon in the Ruhr area and once a marathon in my home city of Essen.

View attachment 980303
View attachment 980304

View attachment 980305
After taking it easy for a year, I then ran the Paris Marathon again in spring 2018 first in my best time of 3 hours and 29 minutes and four weeks later the Hamburg Marathon in 3 hours 30.

View attachment 980306

View attachment 980307

After that, at some point I had problems with the Achilles tendon and the ankle. So that I decided to switch more to the road bike and became just as passionate road cyclist for a year and a half.

View attachment 980308

Unfortunately, then came COVID and my first COVID disease has thrown me pretty much off track and I could unfortunately never get back to the previous fitness level.

Currently I torture myself mostly once a week to run and otherwise ride 3-4 times a week leisurely bike, mostly rather gravel bike instead of road bike.

I have unfortunately gained quite a bit of weight and currently weigh 13-14kg more again than before COVID.
Nevertheless, your thread here has motivated me, Mister @Eriks, get up the ass today and to give everything. It has then become 14 km. Better than nothing!

View attachment 980309

Looking back, it was the best turning point in my life. I am convinced that all the attitude, discipline, perseverance also had the most positive impact on my personal and professional life.

In this sense... happy running. Ralf
Truly inspiring story, great job! Yeah, let’s push each other forward

Could be all over the map because a typical race involves multiple stages of trekking, biking, and paddling (at very different speeds obviously) but can also mix in all sorts of other things to keep it interesting (ropes, canyoning, etc). There’s also no marked course…just a team’s navigator with a topo map and compass deciding how to get from A to B which can mean slowing to a craw as you shlog through thorns, knee deep mud, or anything else you come across!

All of that being said…the last 5 day race I did was around 300mi/500km to clear all the points over the various disciplines. A typical team will sleep around 10hr total so maybe 110hrs of moving to cover that distance? But a race that covers less distance in the same number of days can easily be more difficult, one that covers more could easily be easier. Just depends on what’s along the way!!

If you’re interested and have Prime, check out Bear Grylls World’s Toughest Race. It was a reboot of the EcoChallenge races from a few decades ago. A bit more ‘made for TV’ than most races, but it gives a solid idea of what they’re like!
I’m pretty sure you’ll be winning this thread. I figured there would be a few runners here, but that’s pretty incredible!

Wow! She’s awesome!
I agree! She’s always been active. But this is a new level of commitment from her. She has since brought on a friend who has the same goal (daily mile or more), and they are chasing another friend who started a similar streak about a year or so before.

The running buddies definitely help with accountability.

I’m pretty sure you’ll be winning this thread. I figured there would be a few runners here, but that’s pretty incredible!
Lol….remember what I said though…it’s a whole different animal to train to go 3mi/5km per hour for 100+hrs straight…than even a marathon distance straight and fast! My training is the BBQ of running…low and slow!!!

Wow, lots of inspiration in this thread, nice one! I'm really not much of a runner, my main form of exercise is power lifting/weight training. But I really like it, so I have a treadmill set up with Zwift in my home gym. Just getting back into the groove of things after a long hiatus, so I'm in that awkward but nice position of making progress every week while still feeling useless :D
By the way, I definitely recommend getting Zwift if you're stuck with a treadmill during the winter months.... It really makes it WAY more enjoyable!
No particular goals set with my training as far as running goes, not yet. I need to shed a few (hrrm, ok, several) pounds and really get into it for a few months before I do that, but I'm definitely going to join a few city races (10 Ks mainly) next year for shits and giggles.

Many moons ago when I was 14 I ran 5 miles every day and placed in a 5k, I'd have to dig up the picture to find the plaque I was given.
I've always had a knack for finding 4 leaf clovers too, you can see the one I found that morning on the plaque

20220904_101238.jpg

What shoes do y’all use? I used to run in some mid range Asics and I have basically suffered from every run related injury that’s out there. After the debated Nike vaporfly next was released, I tried a cheaper version, Nike zoom fly, and haven’t had a single problem whatsoever since.

I tried running in a pair of my old Asics not long ago and I felt like every step was super heavy and I really had to struggle. I guess all brands have their version of the Vaporfly nowadays but I will never buy any other shoe again. They are incredible! When I get back to where I was I will treat myself with a pair of the Vaporfly next.

These are the ”cheap” ones I have right now

4DDDDFDA-BBEA-41A9-AAE6-44558BC76A4E.png

What shoes do y’all use? I used to run in some mid range Asics and I have basically suffered from every run related injury that’s out there. After the debated Nike vaporfly next was released, I tried a cheaper version, Nike zoom fly, and haven’t had a single problem whatsoever since.

I tried running in a pair of my old Asics not long ago and I felt like every step was super heavy and I really had to struggle. I guess all brands have their version of the Vaporfly nowadays but I will never buy any other shoe again. They are incredible! When I get back to where I was I will treat myself with a pair of the Vaporfly next.

These are the ”cheap” ones I have right now

View attachment 981105
Brooks Ravenna or ASICS
I just got brooks last year and I absolutely love them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom