Calling all PCF runners (1 Viewer)

Oh, and one last piece of advice from her: When you're getting really tired and you're having a hard time focusing, then at the very least focus on #1. Otherwise, you'll fall back with your ass which costs a lot of energy.

Last edited:
FB_IMG_1689602018124.jpg

I competed in a half marathon yesterday, my first ever in a race setting. The course was really beautiful (but hilly! 250 meters where climbed!) and the weather was hot and sunny. That's how I like it! Maybe cooler weather is better for running, but I just love a hard run in the hot sun!

I was aiming for sub 1:35 so I was very pleased to cross the finishing line at 1:34:28. :)

VID_191430924_122536_742_1.gif

20230820_142927.jpg

Very impressive! I’ve done one in 1:38:59 but that was Stockholm half marathon on asphalt and fairly flat

What shoes do y’all use?
I've used Brooks Adrenaline since about 2014-ish. I learned this summer that it's good to have several pairs because:
  1. You become less injury prone if you use several models because you'll be running with more variation.
  2. You'll extend the life of each shoe because they get more time to return to their intended shape
  3. Most importantly: MOAR shoes!!
I bought a pair of Saucony Endorphin Speed 3 to use for speedwork and races, while my adrenaline will be used for recovery runs, easy runs and long runs.

The Saucony feel great! What a difference! I used them in the half marathon, I had not have run sub 1:35 in my Brooks, that's for sure!

They felt so great that I went and bought the Saucony Endorphin Pro 3 as well. Almost like the Speed, but lighter and with a carbon plate. Those will be my race shoes. :)

I don't really like my adrenalines any more, they now feel like bricks. Any suggestion to fill that gap? I'd like something soft for the gentle recovery runs.

Maybe next year though, I might just trick myself into believing it's a good idea :D
That's a good idea!!

zone 2 which on my watch is set to between 148 to 165. I have no idea if that is right for me
Lol, that was way too high. I've changed to 121-141.

Last edited:
I'll be running a marathon relay next Sunday. Each team has 3 members who together will run a marathon. There are 19 laps of 2225 meters where you have to change runner each lap.

I've never done this before. Any thoughts on strategy? What I'm thinking is:
  • Run harder than you think. You'll have around 15 minutes of rest, if not more, so you should be able to recover.
  • Don't sprint at the end of each lap, I think that might worsen the recovery each lap. Except your last lap, of course :)
  • Never sit down between laps. Keep moving!
Thoughts? Has anyone done anything similar?

So basically 6 or 7 x 2,25km intervals with a really long recovery period between each. No, can’t say I have done anything like that. I would guess that going fast is correct (at or faster than 5k pace) and not getting too comfortable in recovery as well.

Me and one in the team did a training run on the course where the relay will be. The plan was a 15 minute warm-up jog to the course followed by 3 laps (2225m each) with about 8 minutes active rest in between (easy jogging), then a recovery jog back.

One thing we both learned is that we can't just go crazy. We started at about 3:20 pace (minutes per kilometer) which dropped to 4:20 within 3 minutes of the first lap! Not a good way to start! I was spent after the first lap!

After the active recovery it felt okey-ish, and I paced myself a lot more on the second lap, but the damage was already done. We couldn't do one more. Defeated, we recovery jogged our way back to the office.

My average pace was 4:03 on the first and 4:06 on the second. One and a half weeks ago I did 3:59 for 10km. So the new strategy will to calm the f#ck down! I'll try to run each lap with negative splits, i.e., slower at the start of the laps. That way I'm in control, I can always accelerate towards the end but if I start too fast my whole day could be ruined.

Oh, and also to warm up thoroughly! Not just getting warm, but to get that puls up! The first lap should not be the first puls chock of the day!

#hubris
#lessonslearned

The Marathon Relay was an absolute blast!! If you ever get a chance to do something similar, take it!

I googled a bit, every hit I got was about dividing a marathon between team members. But then it's still a solitary race where you run once and that's it. What made this really fun was that you got to run so many times, each run being short enough for some good speed but long enough to punish you if you pushed too hard. Also, getting to mingle with your team mates and other racers between runs was great fun!

FB_IMG_1695062266315.jpg

(Image courtesy of Andreas Strand, all rights reserved. Still unclear if The Chip Guide holds any rights to it though.)

Race Report
19 laps, 2225 meters each. Our team had a sub 40 min 10k runner (me), a sub 45 and a sub 50. We got the job done in 3h and 2 minutes and finished 16th of 44. I took 7 of the laps:

Lap time / pace (min/km)
8:46 - 3:56
8:58 - 4:02
8:57 - 4:01
8:48 - 3:57
9:00 - 4:03
9:15 - 4:09
8:57 - 4:01

My average pace was 4:01, I'm a little disappointed that I missed the 4 min mark but I'm still happy with my performance. :) In general I think that a 10k pace is what you should aim for in this race. A 5k pace is probably optimistic.

Starting our last lap of the race:
VID_66711008_060607_408_2.gif

Last race of the year will be a local half marathon tomorrow. It's a two lap marathon, but you could register for one lap as well and I'm not up for the full distance.

It'll be chilly, here's the forecast in celcius, the half marathon races start at 11:30.
Screenshot_20231006-141756_Chrome.jpg

(About 40° Fahrenheit)

What should I wear?? When asking around I've been recommended everything from long tights, long shirt, tshirt on top of the shirt, hat and gloves to "the same as if it was 25°! Short tights and a singlet!". What does the brain trust here say?

My pb is
My goal for this race is sub 1:30. That pb was from a hilly course while this race is flat. Plus I think I'm in better shape now. Fingers crossed!!

I chickened out and went for
long tights, long shirt, tshirt on top of the shirt, hat and gloves
There were some heroes there with shorts and singlet, but with the strong, ice cold northern winds I'm happy with my choice. :)

Race Report
My pb was 1:34:28 at a hilly race. I wanted to run this half marathon in sub 1h30min which means an average pace below 4:16 min/km (6:52 min/mile) so I started optimistic, running at around a 4:12-4:15 pace. The winds really helped the first 1/3rd since we were running south, so when we turned north I was down at a 4:10 average pace! I was sure of success at this point. :)

But the head wind was bitch! My worst km heading north was 4:31. My average pace slowly but surely got destroyed like a nit's chip stack in a short handed ante tournament! I was really worried at this point, how far will it go? Was my great start just an illusion? It didn't help either that my runner's knee started acting up or that I nearly drowned at a water station (I suck at drinking while running)!

But through pure grit I managed to contain the damage. The average pace had only dropped to 4:15 when I was back to the same latitude as the start. I now knew I had a great chance at sub 1:30, but not at anything better.

But at 16km something magical happened!! The best thing that can happen during a race! I got overtaken by someone running just slighty faster than me! And y'all know what that means!! Hello OoC thread, 'cause I road his ass like there was no tomorrow!! I kept at it as long and as hard as I could and managed to keep his ~4:05 pace for 2.5 km before I had to let him go, releasing him to do his run of shame (without buying him dinner, that's how I roll).

With about 2.5 km left I now knew I was close to greatness as long as I could keep it together. My right hip flexers hurt and my runner's knee was killing me, but I kept about a 4:14 pace until the final hundred meter sprint which my clock claims to have been at 3:01!

The result...

1:28:56!!! People in the finishing area started laughing when they heard my breath deprived cheer! Must have sounded like someone was choking on Zoloft pills! I just couldn't believe it, DID THIS JUST HAPPEN?!?

Not that I care that much, but I finished 23rd out of 108 starters. This race doesn't attract too many racers, probably due to it being in October in a cold climate. It mostly attracts running enthusiasts, not your average Joes.

This was the last race for me this year and I'm SUPER happy with it!!!

20231007_134203.jpg

Last edited:
Working on rejoining the contributing side of this thread. Ran 5k and change today and on Wednesday, and the back still feels fine.

I don’t wanna jinx it too much but I’ve been back in the trainers again lately. Did the first 10k of the year last weekend.

Finished my first marathon in about 6 years! Coastal Delaware Running festival! Totally beautiful day!! My kids the did the 9k and only one of them puked at the finish line :wtf: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: In fairness to that one the other two were riding in a double bob lol

IMG_7793.jpeg

Happy with my time and sore AF. I mostly trained on a treadmill while playing online poker with quite a few PCF degens. Thanks guys!! You made my 20 mile Friday night training runs fly by!!

IMG_5534.png

Finished my first marathon in about 6 years! Coastal Delaware Running festival! Totally beautiful day!! My kids the did the 9k and only one of them puked at the finish line :wtf: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: In fairness to that one the other two were riding in a double bob lol

View attachment 1311728
Happy with my time and sore AF. I mostly trained on a treadmill while playing online poker with quite a few PCF degens. Thanks guys!! You made my 20 mile Friday night training runs fly by!!

View attachment 1311723
Great job, hats off to you! Very impressed with the little 9k-champs as well, that’s quite the feat!

View attachment 1311728

View attachment 1311723
Anything sub 4:00:00 is a great time. Congrats!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom