Buying a New (To Me) Car (1 Viewer)

Be wary of the CVT in Subarus now. My transmission (2017 Outback) started slipping at 30K miles and was replaced under warranty with a refurbished transmission. Same thing with my wife’s 2016 Outback at 44K.

Not refurbished. When Subaru trannys are out of stock they use remanufactured. Might as well be new, but as a customer I would understand the concern.

CVTs are the new norm. We don’t get a ton of transmission work but it happens. More engines tbh. That’s some bad luck!

I stand corrected - remanufactured is what I was told I was getting (though I don’t honestly know the difference).

I feel like the real reason behind CVT was to force people to buy cars every 6-8 years. It’s hot garbage IMO.
Trust me the manufacturer isn't making hot garbage on purpose because they are on the hook for warranty repair.

Somewhat related...the real reason behind the EV push (from the manufacturer side) isn't climate control, it's an engine that runs forever and only needs battery replacement, tires and brakes. The cost of warranty work is minimal for the manufacturer without ICE (internal combustion engine).

In regard to CVT's and why so many manufacturers moved to them...they are more fuel efficient (required by federal law to improve their MGP) because it can produce more power out of a 4cylinder, but it requires more moving parts, and therefore not as reliable.

I drive a Nissan and have been warned the CVT's tend to have issues around 80k miles

I stand corrected - remanufactured is what I was told I was getting (though I don’t honestly know the difference).

I feel like the real reason behind CVT was to force people to buy cars every 6-8 years. It’s hot garbage IMO.
Nissan Rogue here. My CVT is hot garbage. I found out the hard way over mountain passes! Nearly killed me when I was going around 80 (with traffic) up a mountain pass, and lost all power! Had to make my way to the right shoulder from the left lane. I was nearly run over by multiple semis. I kept trying to go again, but couldn't accelerate beyond 30mph. Finally, after sitting on the shoulder for an hour, I could drive again. But I've had the issue happen multiple times.

Yep, the thought of selling my one custom poker chip set that I never use goes through my head daily

Lol did not wait long….bought a 2015 Highlander with 95k miles from a local Toyota dealership
What’s the general damage for something like that nowadays?

Car price was 27k - it was a “limited” model for what that’s worth (nothing to me really, but something to my wife)

Interestingly enough @JustDave she loathed the idea of a van

You came closest without going over, you win the showcase showdown!

Also, 27k for a used vehicle with almost 100k miles is positively nuts to me

Up is down, left is right!
It is nuts, but that's what has happened to prices in the past couple of years. 3 years ago I bought a used (2014) F-150 King Ranch with 105K miles for 21K. That is now looking like a great deal as the other day I saw a nearly identical truck (same year - slightly lower trim level) with 145K miles for over $22K!!! So for the first time in my life, I drove a vehicle for 3 years, and it went UP in value!!!

It is nuts, but that's what has happened to prices in the past couple of years. 3 years ago I bought a used (2014) F-150 King Ranch with 105K miles for 21K. That is now looking like a great deal as the other day I saw a nearly identical truck (same year - slightly lower trim level) with 145K miles for over $22K!!! So for the first time in my life, I drove a vehicle for 3 years, and it went UP in value!!!

The car I bought new a few years ago is selling used for more than I paid new, it's nuts

Vehicle prices still stupid - bought a 2017 AWD Toyota Sienna with 100k miles for $25k.

Just had a second kid so went ahead and just bought the van for myself @JustDave!
Holy shit.

Are Sienna's really getting that much at resale?

I might have to consider selling my 2017 Odyssey with 60k. I don't need the room anymore

I looked around for a while and AWD options were hard to find. (Do I really need AWD in VA, probably not but that is a different convo). This one is XLE Premium and clean - maybe a tad pricier but not completely out-of-line with other comps.

I checked the NADA for 2017 Toyota Sienna Passenger Van XLE AWD 3.5L V6 - average trade-in is $20k. This dealership had a loan on the vehicle I purchsed for $19k. Clean retail estimated at $26k.

Wish I had spoken with you haha!

Sorry just realized you were asking about Odysseys - but still probably worth checking out. Used vehicle prices....again insane

I bought my 2015 sienna (new, in 2016) for 28k ish. Sold it about 2 years ago for 26k. it was in rough shape too.....

@doublebooyah85 what are your thoughts on fourth generation Ford Expeditions?
I bought a 2011 Ford Edge with 197k miles on it…but it was only $4,000. It drove like a dream and shows so signs of stopping. Very well take care of. I’ve had it for 6 months now, put another 10k on it and no major issues. All I’ve done is chance the oil and replace the radiator fan and one wheel bearing. Cheap stuff. And very convenient to have 3 cars if anything needs work.

My wife and I paid off our other 2 cars about 5 years ago. We decided that unless something crazy happened and we had no choice that we wouldn’t have a car payment ever again. We have the Edge, a 2013 Escape (145k miles) and a 2013 Buick Verano (133k miles). Maybe I’ve gotten lucky but it seems that if you just do the maintenance and change the oil on time (I always use full synthetic) these things go for a long time. We don’t drive them hard either, so that probably helps.

Interested to hear the approach some of y’all take as far as used/new and how everything is holding up. At this point I can’t imagine ever buying a new car unless I just had a lot of money to blow.

My approach was very similar to yours essentially until I had kids. I always had two beaters in the case one wouldn't work for whatever reason. My wife felt that my approach was unsafe for children essentially - I didn't totally disagree.

My last two cars were:
- 1999 Lexus RX300 w 190k miles
- 2009 Ford Edge w 230k miles

My approach was very similar to yours essentially until I had kids. I always had two beaters in the case one wouldn't work for whatever reason. My wife felt that my approach was unsafe for children essentially - I didn't totally disagree.

My last two cars were:
Doesn’t the safety basically boil down to how well you drive/pay attention and the size of the car? I’m not sure what decreases in safety you’d have from older, higher milage vehicles. I don’t think there has been *that* much advancement in safety in the last 10-15 years. But open to being wrong as well.

My last two cars were:

Doesn’t the safety basically boil down to how well you drive/pay attention and the size of the car? I’m not sure what decreases in safety you’d have from older, higher milage vehicles. I don’t think there has been *that* much advancement in safety in the last 10-15 years. But open to being wrong as well.
Ahhhh...spoken like a youngster...LOL. :)

I might be wrong, but Burke and I did some talking a while back that "might" have influenced him now that he's married with kids. Nothing worse than a wife and 2 young kids broke down on I95. Doesn't both me if it's me, but I will pay up to ensure my family doesn't have to go through it.

I suspect the biggest safety issue is the higher odds of an older vehicle breaking down on the side of the highway. Or something failing while you're driving 60+ mph. Sounds like OP primarily self maintains, so you also have to consider how competent of a mechanic he may be.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom