Buying a New (To Me) Car (1 Viewer)

I’m in car sale sales. The new car market is just as insane. Expect to pay MSRP and no dealer discounts nor rebates for the next 6-12 months due to the micro chip shortage. A Subaru would be the ideal choice. Nothing holds its value better and they are extremely safe. I would recommend the Forester or Outback.
20200502_181757.jpg

No 6 speed on those models though! Crosstrek all the way!!

@Colquhoun - not against a van. Sienna or Odyssey may be a good choice?
Check with your wife on this one. I'm in favor of a van and willing to be the one who drove it daily. My wife said hell no. She wouldn't even allow us to own one because she said people would assume it was her's.

@Frogzilla you should post pictures of your first "family car"
Lol the mustang had a backseat, the child restraint hooks back there for car seats, a very low center of gravity for rollovers. It was a great family car. @MatB with his superhuman shoulder strength could put a baby in the back no problem. But, was not great for road trips, so it’s gone.

OP…used car prices are also challenging. Here’s a chart that’s a pretty good measure

https://publish.manheim.com/en/services/consulting/used-vehicle-value-index.html

Used car prices are up like 50%. I would strongly considering trading in one of your cars…your higher trade in value will help offset

Used car prices are up like 50%. I would strongly considering trading in one of your cars…your higher trade in value will help offset
I have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 with 250k and a 2009 Ford Edge with some cosmetic damage with 220k. Was in an accident and has a replaced engine which I don’t even know the full details of nor do I know when the timing belt was last replaced.

I highly doubt I get ?anything? for them in trade-in value. Suspect I will donate them when no longer working.

I have a 1999 Lexus RX 300 with 250k and a 2009 Ford Edge with some cosmetic damage with 220k. Was in an accident and has a replaced engine which I don’t even know the full details of nor do I know when the timing belt was last replaced.

I highly doubt I get ?anything? for them in trade-in value. Suspect I will donate them when no longer working.
Normally no, but in this climate, assuming they are in decent mechanical order, you might be pleasantly surprised

In my jurisdiction, it can be worth $6000 as a trade-in when purchasing a new "recognized" non-polluting vehicle. Add in all other current government incentives and that can increase to a whopping $14000 if you play your cards right. When an electric minivan shows up, I will say goodbye to the Odyssey.

You could probably get around $1,000 from a dealer

Dude, I just went thru this shit with my kid after he got in a wreck...we bought a Toyota Camry...turns out it had a bad engine and those fuckers probably knew it too. Shopped around FOREVER....ended up going twice our budget and got a Prius.

In my wildest imagination, I never thought I would drive a friggin' prius, but to be honest, when my son is at school, my wife and I drive it everywhere! They are great little cars that are magical on gas. Supposedly one of the lowest cost of ownership cars on the road. Let me know if you want to take a ride.

Also, Subarus are pretty awesome machines as well. You won't find a good newish one for 15K though.

Just saw this is an old thread, but this still stands.

Dude, I just went thru this shit with my kid after he got in a wreck...we bought a Toyota Camry...turns out it had a bad engine and those fuckers probably knew it too. Shopped around FOREVER....ended up going twice our budget and got a Prius.

In my wildest imagination, I never thought I would drive a friggin' prius, but to be honest, when my son is at school, my wife and I drive it everywhere! They are great little cars that are magical on gas. Supposedly one of the lowest cost of ownership cars on the road. Let me know if you want to take a ride.

Also, Subarus are pretty awesome machines as well. You won't find a good newish one for 15K though.

Just saw this is an old thread, but this still stands.
Also, there is some joint in town that buys up cars sight unseen. We got like $1800 for the camry with a blown motor, tow truck driver just said "make sure it turns on"....it did so he took it and gave us a check.

Also, there is some joint in town that buys up cars sight unseen. We got like $1800 for the camry with a blown motor, tow truck driver just said "make sure it turns on"....it did so he took it and gave us a check.
wow, you really have to rag a camry to kill one too. I hate mine, but it gets me where I need to go with no fuss.

Have been peripherally looking. With current used car prices though, almost wonder if it is worth just buying a new car at this point. Never thought I would consider that

The only thing I'd worry about is the quality of cars made during the pandemic

Most industries have faced labor issues, forcing them to just hire warm bodies

I've noticed quality of food and service drop significantly in the restaurant industry, I imagine the cars made recently will have a variety of issues down the road

Leasing may be the better option

I've noticed quality of food and service drop significantly in the restaurant industry, I imagine the cars made recently will have a variety of issues down the road
This x100. Honestly at the point where I’d just as soon grab a pre packaged food item from a convenience store as I would go sit in a restaurant anymore.

This x100. Honestly at the point where I’d just as soon grab a pre packaged food item from a convenience store as I would go sit in a restaurant anymore.

Jenn and I had already cooked most meals at home anyway, maybe eating out or takeout 2x/week

But when you order a pizza that has THREE ingredients on it (dough, sauce, cheese) and they forget the fucking sauce

Or you order scrambled eggs and they are fried everytime

You just decide it's easier to do it yourself

Have been peripherally looking. With current used car prices though, almost wonder if it is worth just buying a new car at this point. Never thought I would consider that
With gas prices the way they are I've moved to bicycle as my daily commuter. And in all seriousness modern ebikes can get you pretty far pretty quick for a fraction the price of buying a car

There are no attractive leases right now. The manufacturers want to retail vehicles, and not offer lease cash/rebates or low money factors.

I would advise buying new @ MSRP > buying a used vehicle. And shop your trade, lots of crazy offers out there. But remember the tax savings your state may give you on a trade in towards new may be better than a higher trade offer somewhere else.

I'm located in Ohio and sell Ford, Honda, Subaru, Kia and Mitsubishi. Most vehicles I can offer $500 OFF MSRP to PCF members, but there are a few models I am over sticker. Almost all new cars are a 2-9 month wait/purchase. I have about 40 cars in stock today across all 6 new car brands.

And lastly, this car shortage and prices won't change for the next 3-5 years. Used car supply will be extremely low with NO leases coming due up supplying the used car inventory, NO rentals cars supplying the used car inventory, and less gas cars being made but will still be desirable. New car parts will be short also for 3-5 years. Demand isn't even crazy high right now and we can't supply what is needed. Not even counting pent up demand, this is the new norm in the auto industry.

Restaurant industry went to hell, so sad because it's your direct local economy. I won't even eat fast food anymore because it's complete dog shit anymore. Thankfully, that's a good thing.

There are no attractive leases right now. The manufacturers want to retail vehicles, and not offer lease cash/rebates or low money factors.

It wasn't so much about the attractiveness of the offer, but the concern over the quality of vehicles if you're buying anything made during the pandemic. The potential for quality issues I imagine is much higher than usual because of production and labor issues. So buying under a lease will let you get out of a poorly manufactured car sooner than fully financing one, as you'll be returning it back to the dealer rather than making it your future headache.

Restaurant industry went to hell, so sad because it's your direct local economy. I won't even eat fast food anymore because it's complete dog shit anymore. Thankfully, that's a good thing.

We haven't eaten fast food in a long time, I'm talking just dining restaurants in general. Places we used to enjoy nice meals have gone to crap because the cooks they have working are the only people they could find and they can't properly cook even simple things like burgers or scrambled eggs.

It wasn't so much about the attractiveness of the offer, but the concern over the quality of vehicles if you're buying anything made during the pandemic. The potential for quality issues I imagine is much higher than usual because of production and labor issues. So buying under a lease will let you get out of a poorly manufactured car sooner than fully financing one, as you'll be returning it back to the dealer rather than making it your future headache.

We haven't eaten fast food in a long time, I'm talking just dining restaurants in general. Places we used to enjoy nice meals have gone to crap because the cooks they have working are the only people they could find and they can't properly cook even simple things like burgers or scrambled eggs.
You are still better off buying over leasing. To your point, just sell it before your warranty expires. Or purchase a factory extended warranty. 7 year 100K warranty's can go for under $2,000 at a reputable dealer. Triple your warranty for about 5% of the sale price. But lease money factors/residuals/and no lease cash make it ridiculous to lease right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom