Board Gamers, show us your loot! (4 Viewers)

You mean more awesome!

I'll be giving it a look at Gen Con this year as we're playing in an A&A tournament, but expectations are low. Having been involved in the games development community, I know how some games will get bastardized for the sake of sales. For instance, Robo Rally was set to be sold to a mainstream game company. However, they said "We want you to do this with dinosaurs instead. Dinosaurs sell."

The game went to Wizards of the Coast instead, who although at the time was just a RPG manufacturer, gave Richard Garfield the leeway to design other games as well, including Magic.

I expect A&A Zombies to be a cheap money-grab, but it could still have solid logistics.

Watch this video.... (if you've played A&A, you'll find much of the explanation the same as the standard game.)

Zombies are in battle territories. They strike first during the combat phase, against the attackers and defenders. And if they manage a successful strike (on an attacker or defender), not only do you lose an infantry, but another zombie is added to the territory. That's a neat twist. Obviously, zombies have no effect on tanks, aircraft or fleets.

We went camping over the weekend and played some games in the pop up camper while it rained. We played Dragonwood for the first time and it was a lot of fun. I look forward to playing that one again and recommend it for kids around 8-12. My son is still laughing about how he screamed at a Bucket of Spinach and defeated it.

Zombies are in battle territories. They strike first during the combat phase, against the attackers and defenders. And if they manage a successful strike (on an attacker or defender), not only do you lose an infantry, but another zombie is added to the territory. That's a neat twist. Obviously, zombies have no effect on tanks, aircraft or fleets.
This kind of reminds me of a variant of Risk that we played back in college that had Martians. The Martians got a turn once per round, and they would land on a random territory and attack whoever controlled it. I can't remember how many troops the Martians got, but it was enough to overwhelm a territory that was behind your lines with just a troop or two. Then all of a sudden you've lost your continent bonus troops because of these damn Martians and you have to spend part of your turn clearing them out. If the Martians managed to hang on and control several territories, they would attack and try to consolidate their power. It was a fun little twist after you'd played Risk dozens of times and needed some variety.

Anybody else pick up some games when Amazon had the 25% off sale the other day? There were some good ones in there. I scooped up Ex Libris for $30 for my wife's birthday (which isn't until November, so I won't get to play it for a while). It looks similar to Lords of Waterdeep (which I love and she likes) with a library theme (she worked as a shelver at the library when we met, so she has lots of personal experience sorting books!). I think it will be a fun medium weight game to play with friends, and it looks like it has good replayability.

The next day I bought Betrayal at Baldur's Gate on clearance at Woot! because I couldn't resist. I've had it on my Amazon wishlist and the price never goes below $35, and they had knocked it down to $25.

Anybody else pick up some games when Amazon had the 25% off sale the other day? There were some good ones in there. I scooped up Ex Libris for $30 for my wife's birthday (which isn't until November, so I won't get to play it for a while). It looks similar to Lords of Waterdeep (which I love and she likes) with a library theme (she worked as a shelver at the library when we met, so she has lots of personal experience sorting books!). I think it will be a fun medium weight game to play with friends, and it looks like it has good replayability.

The next day I bought Betrayal at Baldur's Gate on clearance at Woot! because I couldn't resist. I've had it on my Amazon wishlist and the price never goes below $35, and they had knocked it down to $25.
Posting great sales after the fact...
1564660133964.png

Other than being worker placement I wouldn’t say ex-libris is anything like lords of waterdeep. It is a fun game though for sure.

No new games for me, probably ordering the Dilluvia project and unbroken though. A buddy ordered 18MEX and 1817 for the recent mass printing so that saved me some money lol. Tried to organize a game of 1846 this weekend but no dice sadly.

We've started playing 7th Continent with a group of 4 at lunch. I think we've played twice now. I'm not really sure because time seems to slow to a crawl with that game. Like today we played for an hour and my character built a shovel. It's an interesting game, but I don't know if I have the patience for it.

We've started playing 7th Continent with a group of 4 at lunch. I think we've played twice now. I'm not really sure because time seems to slow to a crawl with that game. Like today we played for an hour and my character built a shovel. It's an interesting game, but I don't know if I have the patience for it.
I've got a couple all in pledges from the last Kickstarter campaign. I don't think it's my style and I think neither will get opened.

Holy buckets have you actually done that?!? I’ve wanted to do that for 30 years!
I used to run it at conventions back in the late 80s thru the 90s. Today it would be a little more difficult to run it at a convention because of cell-phone spies.

But it was pretty fun, and allowed some variant strategies. Players only knew what their opponents had if they had a unit in an adjacent territory. 5 IPCs could also be spent on a spy roll - 5 seconds on the opponent's side of the screen for every 5 or 6 rolled.

Hard-cord, standard strategy players struggled because they "assumed" standard play. However, I once watched an insane Australian army storm the Southeast Asian continent stripping the Axis of what they thought was an easy victory as Japan was knocking on Moscow's door. Best game ever, and I wasn't even playing (I was GM).

Nice! How do you like RFTG New Frontiers? RFTG is one of my all time favorites (Race and Roll, depending on player count) but I haven't looked into New Frontiers much.
I like it a lot. Its easier to get to the table than either of the others (and easier to teach), though if I was forced to rank them it would be Roll>Race>NF. Buts it's close enough that I don't really care which one I play.

My board game collection is stuck in 2013. Potentially looking for some newer games to play, but I haven't kept up much on the scene. Any recommendations based on the games y'all see here? My favorites are games like TI, Civ, Game of Thrones, and Twilight Struggle. Despite the big D&D collection, games like Gloomhaven/Descent/etc. don't do it for me. I have played Scythe a few times, wasn't crazy about that either.

IMG_20190821_082403.jpg

I will always suggest 1830 but that doesn’t really modernize the collection lol
I have been considering an 18xx game after seeing the influx of 18xx folk here for chips, do you think 1830 is the best to get started with? My group is all pretty deep gamers, so I'd rather get something that we can "grow" into as opposed to an 18xx game that is "limited".

My board game collection is stuck in 2013. Potentially looking for some newer games to play, but I haven't kept up much on the scene. Any recommendations based on the games y'all see here? My favorites are games like TI, Civ, Game of Thrones, and Twilight Struggle. Despite the big D&D collection, games like Gloomhaven/Descent/etc. don't do it for me. I have played Scythe a few times, wasn't crazy about that either.
Have you tried Lords of Waterdeep? That and the expansion are still one of my favorites. Maybe you'd like Galaxy Trucker or Root or the new Lord of the Rings game?

I have been considering an 18xx game after seeing the influx of 18xx folk here for chips, do you think 1830 is the best to get started with? My group is all pretty deep gamers, so I'd rather get something that we can "grow" into as opposed to an 18xx game that is "limited".
It sounds right for your group. They are all high interactivity games with lots of good decisions. 1830 is a great starting board, 1846 is also a good starting point but a different “style” of 18xx. Either can easily be played 100+ times. If you can swing it, I would get both and see which style the group likes more

View attachment 326635

Root is a very cool game, as suggested by @One Eyed Dollar

You might also enjoy Blood Rage? Between TI, Civ, GoT, and TS I feel like to pretty much have the best of the best in that war/asym/conflict sub genre covered... But I also stopped keeping tabs on all of the new releases a few years ago.

Through the Ages maybe?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom