Board Gamers, show us your loot! (2 Viewers)

Very happy to have tracked this down
3CEF5B65-A0C5-4F4E-892B-CDF5C937A98F.jpeg

Yep, design is my day job so it’s nice to do on something more interesting after work :p
Cool, what software do you use? I keep struggling to find 3D modeling software that doesn't frustrate the hell out of me. I want everything to work like AutoCAD because that's what my brain is attuned to. :D

I only got 1 board game for Christmas, but my wife got me one that I really wanted. Plus it's the B&N exclusive version that included a couple extra minis (but not as many as the Kickstarter version). I can't wait to play this one with our gaming group (I told my wife I won't subject her to this one).

IMG_20191225_180719273.jpg

I also picked up 5-Minute Marvel for cheap right before Christmas and I've been playing it with my son and my parents while they're in town. This game is tense! We finally beat the final boss, Thanos, on the novice mode last night. It's a fun, frantic coop game that's quite different from the other games I have, so it filled a nice gap in my collection.

I bought my wife Ex Libris but we haven't played it yet. When we first met she was working as a shelver at a library, so she will be very good at the book sorting part of the game. For the kids we got Sushi Go Party and Monopoly Frozen II (my daughter has finally started playing more games and loves everything Frozen). We also broke out Pictionary with my parents and my kids and have been having fun with that one.

Cool, what software do you use? I keep struggling to find 3D modeling software that doesn't frustrate the hell out of me. I want everything to work like AutoCAD because that's what my brain is attuned to. :D
I use solidworks, but it will frustrate you quite a bit since it is backwards to AutoCAD lol.
Fusion360 is a popular free one but I can’t stand modelling in it personally. Way to different from solidworks and they try and bundle way to many things into one function

I use solidworks, but it will frustrate you quite a bit since it is backwards to AutoCAD lol.
Fusion360 is a popular free one but I can’t stand modelling in it personally. Way to different from solidworks and they try and bundle way to many things into one function
I downloaded Fusion360 and spent a couple minutes with it before I noped on out of there. The interface was baffling.

I downloaded Fusion360 and spent a couple minutes with it before I noped on out of there. The interface was baffling.
Yea it drives me insane. Took me a solid 10 minutes and an YouTube tutorial to cut a hole. And I’ve got 10 years professional CAD experience. I have turned down jobs recently simply because they use it lol

So I have been hosting a game night recently with the only goal to play my unplayed games. I only recently made the whole list (had only been doing short games before). My little twins have really cut into my game time! this also doesn't include my 18xx games or expansions...

On the plus side, the people who come said they really like to come because my collection contains so many unique games rather than the main stream stuff

-Shorter Games
Carson City the card game
Factory Funner
London and Northwestern
Rialto
Stephenson's Rocket
Control
Rail Pass
Sunflower Valley
Fleet
Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

--Medium Length Games
Zimby Mojo
Wiz-War
Tramways
Tomorrow
Railroad Revolution
Ragusa
Penny Press
Peak Oil
Harvest
Dynasties: Heirate & Herrsche
Crisis
Colonialism
Cavum
Builders of Blankenburg
Barcelona: The Rose of Fire

-Long Games
Tragedy Looper
TOKYO METRO
The Manhattan Project 2: Minutes to Midnight
Leaving Earth
Lunar Rails
The Gallerist
Empire Builder
John Company

I love that 3D organizer! - that's why I need a 3D printer, a few years ago, I made so many board game organizers out of foamcore and glue. They are amazing, but were such hard work and I haven't kept up with my newer games.

If I can use it for both board game organizers and poker trays, that'll definitely justify the cost.

It is a fairly big 3D printed lol. I post all my designs on thingiverse and regularly have people lamenting that they are just slightly too big for their printer.

I do love it for inserts, even with my laser I just print them and call it a day. Not worth my effort to convert for the laser and glue them and what not.

It is a fairly big 3D printed lol. I post all my designs on thingiverse and regularly have people lamenting that they are just slightly too big for their printer.

I do love it for inserts, even with my laser I just print them and call it a day. Not worth my effort to convert for the laser and glue them and what not.

You have a 3D printer at home, or are you able to utilize one at work? If it's personal, which one is it?

Wish I had access to one, I used to make foamcore inserts, but they became too time consuming once I had more kids and they grew older. I did enjoy the process of designing the insert and having my games organized.

You have a 3D printer at home, or are you able to utilize one at work? If it's personal, which one is it?

Wish I had access to one, I used to make foamcore inserts, but they became too time consuming once I had more kids and they grew older. I did enjoy the process of designing the insert and having my games organized.
personal one, it's just a prusa mk3 but that is the higher end of home printers. But worth it considering it has been running almost 24/7 since mid november without breaking

I'm excited about the Scooby Doo Betrayal at Mystery Mansion! My kids love Scooby too.

I've gone a little crazy on the Funkoverse games lately but haven't played any yet. :nailbite:

My friend just gave me a copy of Photosynthesis that he got at the thrift store for $5. Never played that one.

I've played Tiny Epic Tactics a few times solo but haven't won yet. I need to do a 2-player game at lunch with a co-worker. I like the mechanics of it.

Oh yeah, my shelfie:
20200225_232712.jpg

Top shelf: huge boxes and a few empty boxes like Concordia and the Eclipse Worlds Afar expansion boxes
1st shelf: quicker to play games on the left, 2 player games on the right
2nd shelf: the meat of my collection, Eclipse being the favorite, but I'd be willing to play almost every game on that shelf at any time
3rd shelf: games to play in the future with my kid on the left, 600 Milano poker chips and box of sleeves/accessories in the middle, party games squeezed in the Telestrations box, and Harry Potter corner
4th shelf: big boxes that would also qualify for the meat of my collection

Oh yeah, my shelfie:
View attachment 414650

Top shelf: huge boxes and a few empty boxes like Concordia and the Eclipse Worlds Afar expansion boxes
1st shelf: quicker to play games on the left, 2 player games on the right
2nd shelf: the meat of my collection, Eclipse being the favorite, but I'd be willing to play almost every game on that shelf at any time
3rd shelf: games to play in the future with my kid on the left, 600 Milano poker chips and box of sleeves/accessories in the middle, party games squeezed in the Telestrations box, and Harry Potter corner
4th shelf: big boxes that would also qualify for the meat of my collection
Res Arcana, Concordia, Eclipse... You have good taste.

Edit: and Gaia Project!

Mech and Minions still in the wrapper?!?!

We have so many games that we want to play, we've never prioritized this one. I was thinking about trading it but my buddy was like, "No, we WILL play it. Just keep it a little longer." So there it sits until it gets some love.

Nice collection @geoffropuff! Do you play Codex much? A couple of my friends backed it in full on KS and we played it one night. It was interesting but there was a lot going on and I was not picking it up quickly. Made a stupid move and lost one game really really badly. I've never played stuff like MtG though, so the whole game mechanics were unfamiliar.

Nice collection @geoffropuff! Do you play Codex much? A couple of my friends backed it in full on KS and we played it one night. It was interesting but there was a lot going on and I was not picking it up quickly. Made a stupid move and lost one game really really badly. I've never played stuff like MtG though, so the whole game mechanics were unfamiliar.

Thanks! I've only gotten to play Codex a couple times but I enjoyed it a lot. However, it does seem to favor people who play it not as a one off in a day of boardgames but as people who treat it almost like a lifestyle game. There are so many different combinations that you can have, and you and your group/other player can even end up with your own meta. Like most board gamers, my group has so many different games that they're juggling to play that we don't get to go as in depth with this one as I want but I'm hoping that once my daughter is old enough to grasp some more complex games, I can get deep into games like Codex with her.

In terms of mechanics, I've been playing MTG since I was in middle school so all the different keywords were just renamed MTG keywords. We were able to pick it up very quickly but I understand that someone who did not grow up playing similar games may have keyword overload at the beginning. Again, it's a game that would require a significant time investment, as I see people playing it as an alternative to MTG or an LCG like Android Netrunner so if that's what you're looking for, it is pretty good. If you want a better experience for people that might play the game less frequently and competitively, I would suggest a lighter card battling game like Sakura Arms. You build decks in that game as well but there are fewer choices that need to be made prior to starting the game and it's overall a quicker experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom