Board Gamers, show us your loot! (6 Viewers)

I used to run it at conventions back in the late 80s thru the 90s. Today it would be a little more difficult to run it at a convention because of cell-phone spies.

But it was pretty fun, and allowed some variant strategies. Players only knew what their opponents had if they had a unit in an adjacent territory. 5 IPCs could also be spent on a spy roll - 5 seconds on the opponent's side of the screen for every 5 or 6 rolled.

Hard-cord, standard strategy players struggled because they "assumed" standard play. However, I once watched an insane Australian army storm the Southeast Asian continent stripping the Axis of what they thought was an easy victory as Japan was knocking on Moscow's door. Best game ever, and I wasn't even playing (I was GM).

Oh, man that sounds amazing!

I’m tempted to try running this at my local con this year... I may reach out to you for advice.

I assume this needs a 6-8 hour time slot?

About 8 hours. It plays slower than a regular A&A game, as the GM has to keep setting up the opponent's board when a player completes movement.

Aww, dang it. I bought it a few weeks ago when they had it marked down to $25. I haven't even played it yet, but it gets good reviews. I like the original Betrayal and D&D so I think I'll like this one.

Preparing for game day....
2019-09-07 10.52.44.jpg

I might try Betrayal at Baldur's Gate for the first time tonight, and my Gaslands book pre-order arrived yesterday! I watched The Road Warrior last night to get psyched up for Gaslands. I've got a bunch of stuff saved on Thingiverse to 3D print for it.

IMG_20190918_112223679.jpg

I picked up Horrified the other day, and I might get a chance to try it with my family tonight. My parents are in town too, but my dad is not great at games. At least this one is a co-op so we can work as a team. We've been playing Dragonwood with my parents and my son, which is a fun little light game, and my dad is terrible at it. Last game my son crushed us all with 19 points and my dad only had 6. :LOL: :laugh:

How is Trickerion? Even if the game is no good, man that's a nice looking box of stuff.
It's a long, heavy, tough game with lots of bells and whistles. And it takes up a tremendous amount of table space. But it's my 3rd favorite game behind Magic and Poker for a reason.

It's a long, heavy, tough game with lots of bells and whistles. And it takes up a tremendous amount of table space. But it's my 3rd favorite game behind Magic and Poker for a reason.

Interesting. My group hasn't liked super heavy games lately, mostly because of time constraints. The only super epic game we can get to the table these days is Eclipse, also a space hog. And yes, I second your sentiment that MTG is one of the greatest tabletop games.

I found this one at TJ Maxx and couldn't pass it up. I like playing the original Castle Panic with my son, and this one has great reviews too.

IMG_20191125_201111039.jpg

Over the weekend we had a short Scout trip and I had a chance to play a couple quick games with another leader that's into board games. I introduced him to Love Letter (The Hobbit version) and Monopoly Deal. Meanwhile some of the Scouts played regular Monopoly for like 3 hours and I think only one person was eliminated by that point. :D

I started a solo game of Tiny Epic Tactics at lunch yesterday. Still figuring out the rules, but it's pretty cool so far.

I also went crazy on some Funkoverse sales and picked up the 4-character and 2-character Harry Potter sets and the 2-character Golden Girls set. My sister loved that show back in the day and I've probably seen every episode multiple times. I bought a copy for her for Christmas too. :D She's not much of a gamer, but I figure the Funko minis are fun even if she never plays the game.

I bought the Home Alone game on sale after Christmas last year and finally played it with my son. It's apparently based on Netrunner, but I've never played that. It's a simple little asymmetrical game. I was Kevin trying to set up traps to guard the house, and he played the bandits trying to steal loot. I'm not sure how well balanced it is since we only played it once, but I won it pretty easily that time. It seems tougher to win with the bandits. It captures the theme of the movie well and has good humor and a decent mix of luck and strategy.

Small board game collector here:

Axis and Allies Anniversary Edition
Robinson Crusoe
Eldritch Horror
Smallworld
Smallworld Sky Islands Expansion
Santorini

Thinking of picking up Ticket to Ride for my six year old daughter for Christmas, or maybe the Snow White gem game - probably both! I'll get a pic when I'm not so lazy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom