Board Gamers, show us your loot! (1 Viewer)

and another die, this time for a game on kickstarter I got the PnP pledge from and asked the creator for the die file. He even said I could sell them which is cool
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michieldewit/rollecate
IMG_0377.JPG

anyone gotten anything new lately? I had a copy of Cavum show up so I'm interested to try that soon. I have a game of time of crisis scheduled for tonight as well

Batman Season 1 is opened but still unplayed. Also got a couple of 7th Continent all-in pledges too. Those are for resale so I can buy more poker chips. I'm looking for a copy of City of Big Shoulders when it releases.

Used to have a Talisman league, complete with player drafts etc. May need to fire that up once again someday.

Only 7 years, 10 months, and 18 until retirement.... :meh:

My friends won’t play Talisman with me any more. :(

It’s always been one of my absolute favorites.

They’re all burnt out on it and would rather play newer titles like gloomhaven or pandemic.

Talisman was a staple in college. You could drop in/drop out as needed for class, and never really miss a beat.

Sadly, as I am building a new game group, the pressure has leaned toward games of the 15-20 minute variety. I prefer games that play around the 4 hour mark (including poker).

Talisman was a staple in college. You could drop in/drop out as needed for class, and never really miss a beat.

Sadly, as I am building a new game group, the pressure has leaned toward games of the 15-20 minute variety. I prefer games that play around the 4 hour mark (including poker).
You should be able to find a long game group. They are almost always looking for players (mine included) because it’s harder to schedule and less people interested in general

How did I scroll through this entire thread and only see a single copy of the greatest game ever made, Twilight Imperium?! You call yourselves serious board gamers?!?!?!

I'm interested in playing TI at some point...but I probably spend more than enough (as far as my wife is concerned) long weekend nights playing poker. I've consider myself lucky enough to have time and a capable group to just have gotten Eclipse to the table 3-4 times in the last 5 years.

Also, I prefer euro mechanics to "ameritrash" in general...the thought of spending a day getting crushed at negotiation and/or galactic war isn't extremely appealing :)

My friends won’t play Talisman with me any more. :(

It’s always been one of my absolute favorites.

They’re all burnt out on it and would rather play newer titles like gloomhaven or pandemic.

I think I played Talisman very early on in my interest in board gaming and I found it quite boring...isn't it essentially a roll and move? I can understand if you are into D&D and really can get into embilishing the story...but as far as an interesting challenge that includes strategy I didn't find it very interesting.

I miss a regular game night...but almost universally these days I would rather play poker. Bittersweet. Someday I'll have enough time to do both regularly.

How did I scroll through this entire thread and only see a single copy of the greatest game ever made, Twilight Imperium?! You call yourselves serious board gamers?!?!?!

Yes... my pic DOES show the full 3rd ed set. ;) We dust that off about once a year now, though I wish it was more often. It’s hard to get everyone to commit for something that can run 6-8 hrs.

I think there’s a 4th Ed out now???

Yes... my pic DOES show the full 3rd ed set. ;) We dust that off about once a year now, though I wish it was more often. It’s hard to get everyone to commit for something that can run 6-8 hrs.

I think there’s a 4th Ed out now???

The 4th Edition is real, and it is glorious! I have a full 3E set as well, but it has not seen the light of day since 4E was released. If you only get TI out once a year, probably not worth it, but 4E streamlines a lot of things and I was able to get it out to the table once a month during board game season. Thankfully I have several friends who also love it, so I don't have too hard of a time getting people putting aside a Sunday to battle for the galaxy

You can play unpainted perfectly fine. While it is more satisfying to play with painted Miniatures it isn't a must. In fact, i am playing a team of totaly unpainted ninjas in one of those pictures.

This thread has made me realize how much we had put off our old game nights. I’ve decided that we need to at least run through the games still in their packaging.

Starting with gloomhaven since it seems to be a current favorite. Any recommendations for a first run through you wish you had done?

This thread has made me realize how much we had put off our old game nights. I’ve decided that we need to at least run through the games still in their packaging.

Starting with gloomhaven since it seems to be a current favorite. Any recommendations for a first run through you wish you had done?
Unpack the rules first and spend some time with them. I think the rulebook is over 40 pages long, and there's a lot to keep in your head. A couple of us read through it entirely before our first game and we still got plenty of things wrong. Then we read it again after a couple games and made notes on things we had done wrong (they were numerous).

There are lots of little markers for conditions, damage, etc. to keep track of. Definitely get some little bowls to put them in.

Get the removable sticker set if you ever want to reset the game and start fresh.

There are a lot of apps to streamline play, but I would recommend starting by doing everything manually. Then you understand what the apps are doing for you and can recognize if something goes wrong. We ended up doing most things manually anyway, just because we wanted a full board game experience, not a hybrid board game/video game. Some of the bookkeeping is tedious though.

Assign each person a job to do every turn. One person keeps track of the elements board (fire, wind, etc.), one person puts damage tokens on monsters, one person manages the conditions, one person drops coins when monsters die, etc. It's too much for one person to do all of it, and if you have multiple people doing the same thing it gets messed up.

If you're into sleeving cards, you'll be handling the cards for your character a lot as well as the damage modifier deck. We didn't sleeve anything, and the cards were showing some wear after about a dozen sessions (if that bothers you).

And have fun!

You can play unpainted perfectly fine. While it is more satisfying to play with painted Miniatures it isn't a must. In fact, i am playing a team of totaly unpainted ninjas in one of those pictures.
True.

I have been debating bolt action... mostly just to have an excuse to develop new things for my laser cutter lol. Plus it goes with my wings of glory stuff, just wish there was affordable pre-painted version

@One Eyed Dollar Appreciate the info! Half of us read through a ton beforehand, so it was a bit of slow climbing through the first scenario.

Anyone use a specific organizer? I’d like to use the broken token but at about $100 for an organizer of a game that costs about the same....

@One Eyed Dollar
Anyone use a specific organizer? I’d like to use the broken token but at about $100 for an organizer of a game that costs about the same....
The cheapest method is the Plano tackle boxes described as YASS on the BGG message board. Lots of discussion on there about organizers. I played a friend's copy and he didn't use anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom