Are you essential? (1 Viewer)

Rather remind them before this thread like so many others get derailed and locked into the politicos thread. Some people can’t control themselves unfortunately. Don’t take it personally.

I figure it’s still good to have a laugh every now and then, laughter is good medicine

You bet. Nurse practitioner at a subacute rehab that is shifting to all recovering COVID patients this week.
All my thoughts and prayers are with ya bud! Really, you are on the FRONT LINES! Take extra care. Wishing you safe passage through this. This thing has got to turn a corner, just gotta believe it.

Nope. I'm in the USAF but our job isn't essential to day to day ops. We've been off just over 3 weeks. They're projecting we'll be "teleworking" until the end of the month. Paychecks still coming through and been growing out my beard so it's all good. But today would have been my flight to go to my next base.

Nope. I'm in the USAF but our job isn't essential to day to day ops. We've been off just over 3 weeks. They're projecting we'll be "teleworking" until the end of the month. Paychecks still coming through and been growing out my beard so it's all good. But today would have been my flight to go to my next base.
We should start a quarantine disgusting beard pron thread.

High school teacher. Essential, only because we switched to online for the rest of the year and all the students are assigned computing devices. It's half the work for me, and about half the normal amount of students even do it. So it's a shit show and I miss my students, despite how easy it is. Been working out 2 hours a day with some of my free time (weight bench and treadmill on my porch) and I'm down 15 pounds. I keep this up, I'll hit "weight I graduated college at" within a couple months.

Short answer for me... nope

Can’t work from home. Hoping the CARES act applies to my company and we are taken care of. For now, I’m home and getting paid. That second part could change at any time, but the first part won’t.

Still working. We are a small, family-owned construction subcontractor (commercial resinous/epoxy flooring), and while there have been many site shutdowns (especially around here in NJ/NY/PA, including the New York City School Construction Authority shutting down all non-emergency construction, which was an unprecedented move), there are just as many sites that are pressing forward. Pennsylvania was the only state around here that originally shut down all non-emergency construction, but a lot of GC's in PA have applied for (and been granted) exemptions to continue their work, particularly those working on school construction, which is where the majority of our work is done, thankfully.

Within the past 2 weeks, I have had multiple last-minute postponements of our work for public projects in Upstate NY and one just the other day on Cape Cod.

A lot of my personal work could be done from home (project estimating), but I also need to be in the office to accept material deliveries and get our crews loaded and on their way. Almost every construction bid keeps getting delayed by a couple weeks at a time, so I'm currently sending out far fewer bids than normal.

Happy to still be working rather than sitting at home. And despite our revenues not being what they typically are, we are at least doing (and billing) work as normal, albeit at a reduced rate. Definitely consider myself fortunate.

My job can be done 100% remote so it doesn't matter if I'm essential or not, I can still work every day.

Company I work for is very essential and the way a lot of folks are getting supplies.

I am in the same boat. Working from home is hard but count myself lucky that I work for a company that hasn't laid anyone off in decades.

Still working 60-70 hrs a week. Highway construction.

Working on the front line - clinical hospital pharmacist. My wards have been sliced, diced, and repurposed, and for now I'm covering non-COVID wards (either patients who have had negative results from testing or deemed very low risk to be infected). We're in preparation for a surge that we hope never comes. Our local geographical numbers right now are very good in comparison to most jurisdictions.

You are one of the real heros Berny! Thanks!

My life changed a lot in the last year. We had our 1st child which was unexpected. My wife had the better job so I left mine and started bartending at night and being stay at home dad during the day. Seriously the best two jobs I’ve ever had haha. My jobs are both essential even though my bar is closed. I take care of the baby and the house stuff all day and she is still working from home and then at night I pour us both drinks and serve the dinner haha.

Everybody going out there every day please stay safe!!

Not essential as others but I am currently still working for WestJet (Canadian airline) as the YYC daily duty coordinator. I'm lucky I was not one of the 7000 employees who got laid off.

Just curious since you are probably in the know more than me. What is your outlook for Westjet and the rest of the airline industry?

Residential home remodeler and shut down. New kitchens, baths and decks are gonna have to wait. Luckily I don't need to touch any of the deposits I've taken...yet.

Firefighter = Essential, and still working.

Because of the extremely high possibility that someone in the firehouse will eventually get infected, 1/2 our station was relocated to a high school locker room. No kitchen to cook, but they get a $20 per diem to help them out.

This whole thing would resolve much quicker if people would stay home, but too many people are just so worried/self-centered about missing 2 weeks pay that they inconvenience everybody else.

I risk my life for some dumb-shits don't manage their money well enough to be out of work for 2 weeks. This whole Covid thing has made me seriously reconsider my 24-year old career choice. I once thought people were basically good. Now I know that there are a shit-ton of selfish assholes - more than I would have ever believed.

If you get infected because you were doing a non-essential activity (like building a swimming pool), do the world a favor, and die quickly.

Residential home remodeler and shut down. New kitchens, baths and decks are gonna have to wait. Luckily I don't need to touch any of the deposits I've taken...yet.

My wife and I decided to wait on a big remodel we were planning to start a month ago. In glad we did for this exact reason. But it makes me think about how many others are doing the same and how it affects the economy and folks in your line of work.

Counting myself extremely fortunate to not only be "essential" but to also be quite senior at the LUV airline so my job is safe. (Unless the company goes out of business but that is highly unlikely). Just lucky to have had vacation when the " ---- hit the fan" and have managed to only have to fly one 3 day trip. We have never had to furlough and I hope that that remains the case but just flying those three days is unlike anything I have ever experienced before and I was a captain during 9/11. Passengers have simply vanished... loads are 0-30 and maybe half of those are flight crews. Terminals are empty, Hotels are empty (flight crews being the only exception)... We are the best financially positioned of any airline to weather this storm but if things don't begin to open up soon there will be a lot of furloughs at other airlines DL,AA,UA, etc... some of that will be mitigated by early retirement offers, normal attrition, ... but easily in the thousands and that's just pilots. We might be lucky and fill in the service that the other airlines have pulled out of due to our balance sheet... too many unknowns right now. And to think that we were facing a huge pilot shortage before this all unfolded. We are taking our "travel trailer" to LAS next week (where I'm presently based) which was our original 2020 plan, but now we will stay there and see how things begin to open up... maybe through the end of August. With flights so drastically reduced it makes this nomadic lifestyle a bit more challenging but we remain undeterred! For everyone working on the frontlines you have my profound gratitude ... I'll see you out there beyond the wall next week! (D Concourse PHX and A Concourse BWI)
IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2583.jpg

I once thought people were basically good

People are. Unfortunately the dumbasses standout more than the good people. I'm greeting approximately 1500 people in a 3 hour block at one of our medical center entrances. Even though were on week 3/4 of this. 99.9% of the people have been great to interact with. This is mostly Tech's, RN's, Doctors, ect.... They all look exhausted, frustrated, and overwhelmed (this is the good days). Yet almost every single one of them tries to put a smile, returns my friendly greeting with one of their own. I'm telling you anything that you don't know. A lot of them look like death themselves.

In 3 weeks I've had one asshole that I almost threw out of the complex. He is a Cardiac Surgeon that thinks he is gods gift to humanity. Fuck, he might. If you come at me like your a jackfuck then my friendly greeting wears off really quickly. Because I'm also exhausted, frustrated, and overwhelmed. Unfortunately he is the one that stands out over this time period.

Sorry if this is a ramble, doesn't make sense concerning your post, ect.... You guys should be used to that by now.

You are one of the real heros Berny! Thanks!

Not a hero, Perry, just doing my part. The real heroes are you and everyone else who is staying home and keeping this disease from spreading. Lower Mainlanders should be especially proud. If we can all stay vigilant, our numbers should remain extraordinarily low.

If staying home is essential, then I'm your gal -- I'm retired. I can manage 10-12 days between trips to the supermarket. I felt awful yesterday because I needed to interact with additional people: Someone to start my car (dead battery), the person at the dealership who took care of me, and someone in the pharmacy where I picked up a prescription. For the first time, I used the self-service checkout at the supermarket. For the most part, I'm trying hard to become invisible to the outside world, not counting the virtual world. If it weren't for you guys, I'd feel so isolated. Thank you all for being here! :)

People are. Unfortunately the dumbasses standout more than the good people. I'm greeting approximately 1500 people in a 3 hour block at one of our medical center entrances. Even though were on week 3/4 of this. 99.9% of the people have been great to interact with. This is mostly Tech's, RN's, Doctors, ect.... They all look exhausted, frustrated, and overwhelmed (this is the good days). Yet almost every single one of them tries to put a smile, returns my friendly greeting with one of their own. I'm telling you anything that you don't know. A lot of them look like death themselves.

In 3 weeks I've had one asshole that I almost threw out of the complex. He is a Cardiac Surgeon that thinks he is gods gift to humanity. Fuck, he might. If you come at me like your a jackfuck then my friendly greeting wears off really quickly. Because I'm also exhausted, frustrated, and overwhelmed. Unfortunately he is the one that stands out over this time period.

Sorry if this is a ramble, doesn't make sense concerning your post, ect.... You guys should be used to that by now.
Bill, I can't recall ever seeing you without a smile on your face. :tup:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom