Are you essential? (1 Viewer)

HHS just released today that RPh's are given the authorization to order and administer COVID-19 tests.

1. We do not have the PPE for that, at all
2. I do not feel qualified to do that without any training

Not real stoked about this. That said, happy to help if it is done right...

Last edited:
I build training systems for DoD (mostly Army) and am considered essential. My employer already has a strong work-at-home culture and infrastructure, so it wasn't a big transition for us. I consider myself lucky that my work and financial life are so far unaffected.

That said, there are certain parts of my job that I can't do at home (mostly related to custom hardware that's too big to fit in my car :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:), so for the past week I've been doing a good bit of on-site work. Otherwise I'm staying home with Mrs S and the kids, except for the occasional trip to the grocery.

I build training systems for DoD (mostly Army) and am considered essential. My employer already has a strong work-at-home culture and infrastructure, so it wasn't a big transition for us. I consider myself lucky that my work and financial life are so far unaffected.

That said, there are certain parts of my job that I can't do at home (mostly related to custom hardware that's too big to fit in my car :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:), so for the past week I've been doing a good bit of on-site work. Otherwise I'm staying home with Mrs S and the kids, except for the occasional trip to the grocery.
Wow sounds a lot cooler than my job!

Totally non essential and in the oil & gas business which is taking a double whammy. I'm lucky to still be employed and expect pay cuts coming soon. I have work for the next couple of months which is a life-line.

Maybe I should stop buying things on Amazon...

Totally non essential and in the oil & gas business which is taking a double whammy. I'm lucky to still be employed and expect pay cuts coming soon. I have work for the next couple of months which is a life-line.

Maybe I should stop buying things on Amazon...

I haven’t seen gas this cheap since 1999.

856E1F1E-F6C0-471C-A0B6-0E8F6456BC5C.jpeg

High school teacher. Essential, only because we switched to online for the rest of the year and all the students are assigned computing devices. It's half the work for me, and about half the normal amount of students even do it. So it's a shit show and I miss my students, despite how easy it is. Been working out 2 hours a day with some of my free time (weight bench and treadmill on my porch) and I'm down 15 pounds. I keep this up, I'll hit "weight I graduated college at" within a couple months.

Middle school teacher here in NYC. The only reason my grade band isn't a total dumpster fire over access and equity is because I based some of my work online starting in September, so there hasn't been much of a transition for my students. Every other grade has been a spectacular shitshow though. 30% online engagement outside of my grade. Some kids and families we've lost all touch with since closing. My colleagues are more IT Help Desk operators and Bounty Hunters than teachers now.

I need to start a workout regimen this next week. Spring break work is all scheduled in advance so I'll have time and energy. Before today, we were all working longer hours than ever before.

I waver on whether I'm essential or useless, depending on the day and how many shitty video meetings and professional development sessions I get forced into.

I haven’t seen gas this cheap since 1999.
The oil patch walks a tightrope between supply and demand and is a cyclical business. I joined the industry out of college in '97 just before prices tanked. Same again in 2001, 2009 & 2015. We really haven't recovered since 2015 which gives me some hope - I survived all the other crashes so I should survive this one too. Doesn't mean I'm not worried though - I'm no longer "cheap to retain, expensive to hire" - I'm now "expensive to retain, expensive to hire". I guess I should be grateful that I'm not "expensive to retain, cheap to hire"!

Divorce Attorney.

I cannot think of a less "essential job", pandemic or not.

And yet here I am at my desk at 4:30 on a Thursday afternoon leading up to a long weekend.

911 dispatcher, so deemed essential personnel and working full-time hours +. There are so few of us, my bosses try to keep us isolated within the building. (No one is allowed to even enter the dispatch center unless you work inside, and then only after a temp check.)

Wishing all here a safe trip though this and back to normal very soon.
Wow that must be an akward feeling being that isolated but still need to be there. Is there any talks about shifting this to online or it wouldnt work online anyways? Take care mate and stay safe!!!

911 dispatcher, so deemed essential personnel and working full-time hours +. There are so few of us, my bosses try to keep us isolated within the building. (No one is allowed to even enter the dispatch center unless you work inside, and then only after a temp check.)

Wishing all here a safe trip though this and back to normal very soon.
Wow that must be an akward feeling being that isolated but still need to be there. Is there any talks about shifting this to online or it wouldnt work online anyways? Take care mate and stay safe!!!

The technology to work from home exists, but it would not be practical to do it that way. (We joke about it all the time.)

I sit at a workstation that has 10 computer screens in a half-circle with massive amounts of real-time information. Above those, giant flat-screen TVs around all four walls of the room show views from lots of high-def cameras. (We have over 1,000 but you can only watch a dozen on each screen.) When someone calls in on 911, one person is asking questions and entering information while a second dispatcher is calling the officers on the radio to put out the information. When it gets bad, a third person can be in doing things like calling supervisors, pinging phones and pulling up camera views of the area.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom