Tourney What do you feel are some must have rules? (4 Viewers)

renegadegatorman

High Hand
Reaction score
I'm hosting my first tournament on Saturday for my group that plays a monthly cash game which is pretty relaxed. Since this almost everyone in the groups first time playing a tournament, what are some rules you think are essential to avoid confusion, keep things moving, and keep things civil? Like I said, we're usually pretty laid back but with the first place prize being more than what people are accustomed to walking away with at the end of our cash game I just want to make sure things go smoothly and everyone is on the same page.

IMG_2493.jpeg

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/need-basic-adobe-illustrator-help-poker-rules-sign.21788/

Last edited:
what are some rules you think are essential to avoid confusion, keep things moving, and keep things civil? ... I just want to make sure things go smoothly and everyone is on the same page.
All of them.

use the TDA rules.
^ This. Announce it beforehand, and have a copy (printed or electronic) available on site.

Just use the TDA rules.
Pretty solid set of rules but I doubt I will remember them verbatim and I know for sure my friends won't read them lol.

I should have clarified that I was looking for a few rules that I could throw on a rule screen in tournament director. Mostly seeing if there are some rules that are important but often overlooked.

1) do not dry hump the host
2) do not post social media pics of pets anus
3) keep testicles in pants at all times at table
4) no adjacent board games involving screaming
5) do not dry hump the host
6) do not wipe wet hands from bathroom on rail
7) never, ever dry hump host

These are all based on real world situations fwiw.

Or follow @MrCatPants home game threads and do the opposite of whatever his game does.

Here’s some very basic rules I’d put on screen and I’m sure others can add on.

1. PAY ATTENTION (in all caps and bold)
2. Act in turn
3. No string bets
4. No making change from pot until action is done.
5. PAY ATTENTION
6. No talking about hands during the hand.
7. Cards speak
8. Protect your hand
9. PAY ATTENTION

Rules are for commies. AMERICA IS FREEDOM!

So wet humping the host is allowed?

My group will boycott the game if I implement "keep testicles in pants."

Pretty solid set of rules but I doubt I will remember them verbatim and I know for sure my friends won't read them lol.

I should have clarified that I was looking for a few rules that I could throw on a rule screen in tournament director. Mostly seeing if there are some rules that are important but often overlooked.
Whoever plans to act as the floorperson should know all the rules. How do you plan to enforce them if you don't know them all? It's not required that all the players know every single rule, but there should at least be one rule expert in the room to enforce it when things go awry.

I've had the same three basic house rules for over 15 years:
  1. Protect your hand
  2. Don't be an asshole
  3. Don't be shady
The TDA rules get updated very regularly, so most of your work is already done. Tournament rules tend to be a little more strict than cash game rules, so pick ten that you think your players might accidentally break frequently and highlight them.

“Don’t forget to like and subscribe.”

I'm hosting my first tournament on Saturday for my group that plays a monthly cash game which is pretty relaxed. Since this almost everyone in the groups first time playing a tournament, what are some rules you think are essential to avoid confusion, keep things moving, and keep things civil? Like I said, we're usually pretty laid back but with the first place prize being more than what people are accustomed to walking away with at the end of our cash game I just want to make sure things go smoothly and everyone is on the same page.
Not much different than a cash game. Just can't buy back in or cash out and blinds go up, otherwise pretty standard poker rules.

The big ones that come up a lot:
  • Protect your hand. If your hand is out in front of you and the dealer pulls it in, it's gone unless it's absolutely clear what your cards were/are.
  • State your action clearly. If you want to raise, say raise. Tossing in a single chip is call unless you say otherwise FIRST.
  • No string-bets. Again, state your action clearly.
  • Don't fold out of turn. It's rude and it gives unfair information to some of the other players.
  • You have to show both cards to win a pot. No exceptions.

Take the time to read the short form TDA rules. You may be amazed. The rules that you did not know will stick with you. The rules you've been getting wrong will stand out. The rest you already knew, or would have figured out.

Quite a while ago, I tried to condense the "important" rules to a single page, but it was a fool's errand. All the rules are important. If you want to know what I went with, here you go...
1704994569288.jpeg

Sounds like a boring game. Personally I do the opposite of #3, I ask all my players to pull their balls out and place them on the table when going all in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom