Apache 3800 Faux Pelican Case (Harbor Freight) - Now with photos! (2 Viewers)

Really nice job with this! I'm going to have to post my Apache 3800 case on here now (been putting it off for months). One thing, hows it carry with the chips slightly offset to the right? I

The weight definitely felt a little bit to the back so I swapped the empty rack to the right and put more weight in the middle and i don’t notice any thing now. I think if I was doing another one I would try to center them a little more though. Didn’t give it much thought at the time.

The weight definitely felt a little bit to the back so I swapped the empty rack to the right and put more weight in the middle and i don’t notice any thing now. I think if I was doing another one I would try to center them a little more though. Didn’t give it much thought at the time.
Thanks good to know, may buy something similar soon and was thinking I may do the card/button setup in the middle. I'll have to figure out how to make it look symmetrical though... time will tell.

So I picked up two cases today:
https://m.harborfreight.com/3800-We...iMjkuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiMTIzNDIifQ==

Questions though:
Is it better to order the racks with cover?
https://www.thepokerstore.com/collections/poker-supplies/products/chip-tray-with-lid-10-pack
And there’s enough room?

Or are the racks meant to be stacked with no problems?
https://www.customizedpokerchips.co...c-chip-trays-set-of-10?variant=12434832490568

Thanks.

I use the same covered racks you linked in that case no problem stacking 2 deep. They are cheaper on Amazon also I believe. Not the best fit for Paulson's but it works.

Just bought one of these with the 20% off coupon....

View attachment 197891
Original base layer on the left and thinner pick and pluck layer on the right (one that comes in an Apache case with two layers of pick and pluck).

View attachment 197890
Two sets of stacked racks with chips - seems to be the perfect height to not need a 3rd empty rack on top.
Here's my Apache 3800 mini-project. In September I picked one up and was able to get both a thicker pluck layer of foam and a thinner pluck layer as pictured in my original post above. From other people's posts I saw that the stacked chip racks still didn't quite fit snuggly enough so I had the idea of replacing part of the base layer (bottom) of foam with the thinner pluck layer I had.

To do this it was first a matter of plucking the thin pluck layer of foam to the right size. I wanted give myself the option to be able to carry 600 or 800 chips securely so I plucked 3 racks' width of it (see the last few pictures on how I fit 600 chips). Next I cut the base layer to fit the pluck layer I had made and super glued both together.
IMG_2469.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

Once the glue had dried I went to Plasti Dip'ing both the new base layer and the thicker base layer which I plucked to fit 4 racks across as well as one pick'n'pluck column on each side to act as finger slits to help grasp the racks (highly suggest this).
IMG_2471.JPG

I followed the instructions on the can to a tee and used about 80-90% of one can. I did 4 coats on the original base layer and large pluck foam (middle foam) and 5-6 on the thinner pluck layer since I was now using it as the base which the rack edges would be digging into.
IMG_2474.JPG

I let the pieces sit over night then fitted them back into the case. Upon testing, putting in and taking out chips in racks, I noticed the middle layer of foam kept partially lifting up out of the case when removing the racks. Since I didn't want to super glue the base layer to the floor of the case, incase I wanted to change back to the original format, I glued the middle layer to the base layer. This worked perfectly and neither pieces of foam move at all now.
IMG_2500.jpg
IMG_2502.JPG

I did noticed a few areas where either my plucking or the foam itself cause some unintended imperfections. Unfortunately I didn't notice these until after I had glued all the pieces together which made Plasti Dip'ing them a bit more difficult (so I'd suggest you double check your foam before inserting it into the case). Luckily I hadn't used the entire can and was able to fix these areas without needing to buy a second can.
IMG_2503.JPG
IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

Finally (after letting the last layer of Plasti Dip dry) I was able to store my chips in a cheap, secure, and transportable way!

800 chips setup where I was able to fit two decks in a turned over rack on the lower stacks plus a dealer button on the side.
IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2508.JPG

600 chip setup with a foam insert over the lower level of original base foam. The insert was made from the middle foam plucked earlier and fashioned to fit one setup and 1-2 dealer buttons.
IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0442.JPG

If I had one drawback to this case it would be that the pick'n'pluck foam used in it is no where near as nice as the foam used in Pelican cases. Pelican foam is much firmer, easier/cleaner to pluck apart, and the size of the plucking columns is much smaller allowing you to customize the foam more thus fitting your items more snuggly. Overall though this is an amazing case for a price and allows you to put more of your money towards your next set of chips!

Here's my Apache 3800 mini-project. In September I picked one up and was able to get both a thicker pluck layer of foam and a thinner pluck layer as pictured in my original post above. From other people's posts I saw that the stacked chip racks still didn't quite fit snuggly enough so I had the idea of replacing part of the base layer (bottom) of foam with the thinner pluck layer I had.

To do this it was first a matter of plucking the thin pluck layer of foam to the right size. I wanted give myself the option to be able to carry 600 or 800 chips securely so I plucked 3 racks' width of it (see the last few pictures on how I fit 600 chips). Next I cut the base layer to fit the pluck layer I had made and super glued both together.
View attachment 223985
View attachment 223986

Once the glue had dried I went to Plasti Dip'ing both the new base layer and the thicker base layer which I plucked to fit 4 racks across as well as one pick'n'pluck column on each side to act as finger slits to help grasp the racks (highly suggest this).
View attachment 223988

I followed the instructions on the can to a tee and used about 80-90% of one can. I did 4 coats on the original base layer and large pluck foam (middle foam) and 5-6 on the thinner pluck layer since I was now using it as the base which the rack edges would be digging into.
View attachment 223990

I let the pieces sit over night then fitted them back into the case. Upon testing, putting in and taking out chips in racks, I noticed the middle layer of foam kept partially lifting up out of the case when removing the racks. Since I didn't want to super glue the base layer to the floor of the case, incase I wanted to change back to the original format, I glued the middle layer to the base layer. This worked perfectly and neither pieces of foam move at all now.
View attachment 223993View attachment 223994

I did noticed a few areas where either my plucking or the foam itself cause some unintended imperfections. Unfortunately I didn't notice these until after I had glued all the pieces together which made Plasti Dip'ing them a bit more difficult (so I'd suggest you double check your foam before inserting it into the case). Luckily I hadn't used the entire can and was able to fix these areas without needing to buy a second can.
View attachment 223995View attachment 223996
View attachment 223998

Finally (after letting the last layer of Plasti Dip dry) I was able to store my chips in a cheap, secure, and transportable way!

800 chips setup where I was able to fit two decks in a turned over rack on the lower stacks plus a dealer button on the side.
View attachment 224001
View attachment 224002

600 chip setup with a foam insert over the lower level of original base foam. The insert was made from the middle foam plucked earlier and fashioned to fit one setup and 1-2 dealer buttons.
View attachment 224004
View attachment 224005

If I had one drawback to this case it would be that the pick'n'pluck foam used in it is no where near as nice as the foam used in Pelican cases. Pelican foam is much firmer, easier/cleaner to pluck apart, and the size of the plucking columns is much smaller allowing you to customize the foam more thus fitting your items more snuggly. Overall though this is an amazing case for a price and allows you to put more of your money towards your next set of chips!

Very nice work! Looks great and reminds me I need to finish mine up!

Apache Pron
I chose to go with the 600 chip setup. Plastidipped all foam on all sides. Also plastidipped all of the plucked foam to use in situations where only 3 racks need hauled. Also set up for two copag cases, 4 decks, with option to only take 1 copag case and add plucked foam back in. Left additional space for future bounty and seating chips.

This thing is awesome. I have never had a Pelican, so I can't compare to that, but I can tell you its well worth the $35 dollars and you may be able to use additional coupons to get it even lower.

Apache 3800 Case by ShaneOhMac, on Flickr

WHOA, randomly came across this and must say, hellova case.

May I also ask where you got the Atlantic Club Dealer button? Is it from CPC?

First time plasti dipping. About to plastic dip an RTIC case.
Couple questions:
How long do you let your plasti dip dry?? I have seen as little as 24 hours and some recommendations for allowing 2-3 days.
Also, does the dried plasti dip have an odor?? Thanks

Couple questions:
How long do you let your plasti dip dry?? I have seen as little as 24 hours and some recommendations for allowing 2-3 days.

I was just waiting until dry to touch, 2-3 hours between coats. But I did about 5 coats.

(See the link to my case thread in the comments.)

Couple questions:
Agree with @JustinInMN. Dry to the touch and mine was plenty dry after 10 hours in this dry Illinois weather.

Smell is similar to spray paint while spraying. Long term scent I don't notice anything at all.

Took chips along with me to Texas for a small family game. 500 purple chips for limit games, and 300 chips for 5¢/10¢ NLHE (bank of $200+), plus a setup and dealer button.

My personal edition of the 3800, fits 6 racks in a dedicated area and did an optional area for a 7th rack or cards/accessories..I could dig out that area for an eight rack at any time but it’s not necessary for my needs at this point.

Now onto the plasti-dip!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom