Apache 3800 - 600 Chips - Review (2 Viewers)

flippyflop89

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I know there are definitely a couple threads on this but wanted to share my opinion and layout.

Bought the Apache 3800 from Harbor Freight and got the orange because well its bright and in your face lol. It's a little bit big for just 600 chips but the 2800 wasnt going to cut it and its heavy enough already so i didn't want to add many heavy accessories on the sides. Ive got a copag 2 deck bridge case on the right, two slots for rogue packs of poker or bridge sized cards on the left. And a little dealer button slot that should fit 60mm just fine and I plan to buy a cooler one when I get around to it.

The foam that came with it is pretty decent. The pick and pluck works well. I took a pocket knife to the top connectors of the squares to get them started and then just pulled at them the rest of the way without issue. I did make a couple mistakes, well poor planning and redesigns lol. A tiny (really tiny) amount of super glue did the trick to put them back.

They are noticeable when you glue them back until you hit it with Plastidip. I did 8 coats and it took about a can and a half and I waited 20-40 minutes between coats as I was just doing other stuff and would run out to do a coat when I had 5 minutes. I had to flip them over obviously so the insides of the cut out probably got more than 8 coats because they were exposed during both sides. Which is probably good as they will take the most abuse. Last thing I'll probably do is double sided tape the lid foam into the lid. It slid out real easy before the Plastidip but still wiggles out every third opening or so.

Also, the back part of the foam is likely to take the most abuse as you carry this by the handle and all the weight falls to the back of the case. I thought of pushing the chips 1 square closer to the handle. However as the back section squishes ill probably just rotate the whole thing 180 degrees if it gets bad enough.

Very fun project, feel free to ask me any questions. I attached my final foam pluck design layout to help anyone looking to do something similar.

Attachments

• 20230829_092244.jpg
    20230829_092244.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 327
  • 20230829_110522~2.jpg
    20230829_110522~2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 20230905_094159.jpg
    20230905_094159.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 300
  • 20230905_094228.jpg
    20230905_094228.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 324
Yea I took out too much padding on the first one I bought too. Not too big of a deal but with static electricity they start looking all wonky once I pull out the racks. My second one I am going to leave two rows of padding on top and bottom like you did just to give it a little more structure.

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the finger holes but im glad I went with them. Just makes it way easier and I think it will reduce the friction as I'm not digging into the foam each time to pull them out.

Nicely done. I have a 3800 for my 800 chip set. I like the little notch you did to get the racks out easier. I haven't plasti-dipped mine yet so I can hopefully still do something like you did.

When I setup my Apache 3800 I recommend going with a bigger notch if you have fatter fingers. Also you could lay the case flat when storing so the back part of the foam doesn’t take too much abuse. Fantastic job!

When I setup my Apache 3800 I recommend going with a bigger notch if you have fatter fingers. Also you could lay the case flat when storing so the back part of the foam doesn’t take too much abuse. Fantastic job!
Thanks! Yeah the one square notch has been just enough for me. I have large hands but I also end up just taking the top foam off when getting the bottom racks. Would definitely recommend at least a notch on one side of each rack

What racks are the chips in? Whats the overall weight when its loaded?
Justin Chip Racks from Broken Arrow Card Supply here on the forum, and I think it was around 23 lbs in total. It's not light but it's probably lighter than a solid wood case would be. Also the handle is comfortable so it's not too bad to carry around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom