Apache 3800 Faux Pelican Case (Harbor Freight) - Now with photos! (3 Viewers)

Yep, I get them but hadn't seen the cases nor would I have thought of them for a poker case. Glad I found this thread/forum.

Yes, to the mailer. Had the 25% off in hand for Memorial Day, just could not get away to get a case. 20% coupon comes out frequently.

Posted in another thread so why not here. I believe this is a 3800 got with a 25% off and plastidip’d
0B77C632-8BD9-43BB-BFE5-FABE12E5D76D.jpeg

Hey all. I'm new to these forums and just picked up an Apache 3800 from HF based on all the awesome creative design ideas in this thread. I'm planning to do a layout for 600 chips and had a couple of questions that I'm hoping those with more experience can answer.

-The 3-over-3 chip tray layout seems to be a no-brainer choice for qty 600, but I see most have done this with all the trays to the right or left side of the case and leaving the remaining ~25% of free space for 2-deck card cases and maybe some dealer buttons. Is this arrangement with the bulk of the weight on one side of the handle uncomfortable to lug around? Would it be better to try to center the trays within the case for optimal weight distribution?

- Possible dumb question, but for plastic decks like KEM, Copag, DaVinci, etc, is it ok to store them vertically on their side for long periods, or would it be better to have them lay flat to avoid warping (KEMs in particular)? Should I try to arrange the deck boxes so that they lay flat (horizontal) when the case is stored in an upright position?

Thanks

Did a bit of crafting tonight and here's what I came up with. I decided on a "U"shaped layout for the 6 chip trays for a few reasons:

1. Weight is evenly distributed when carrying because the trays aren't all on the left or right side of the case.

2. The large open area in the middle let me orient the 2 deck boxes horizontally within the layout, not vertically, so when the case is close and stored upright the deck boxes are actually laying flat not tipped on their side. I figured for plastic cards (I've got KEMs and DaVinci) it probably better if they are stored flat.

3. If I really need to, there is enough space between the deck boxes and the horizontal chip tray to add 2 more trays (stacked) for a total carrying capacity of 800. For now I'll probably use that extra space for some dealer buttons and whatnot.

One caveat is that the U shaped orientation meant that the tray just barely fit across the width of the Apache 3800. In fact I had to slice the single row of pick and pluck foam on the left and right sides in half to get everything to fit properly. I may just get rid of that thin sliver of p&p foam and replace it with thinner foam padding at some point.

-
20190605_011125.jpg
20190605_011140.jpg

Switching to 43mm chips has presented storage problems for me. My birdcages are pretty useless now. I wanted a little more room, so I went with the 4800 (on sale for ~40 last weekend) for my tournament set...

IMG_0473.jpg

IMG_0474.jpg

Although I have a couple of 3800's ready for my cash set and secondary tourney set once Apache's (not the case) China Clays come in...

IMG_0475.jpg

Switching to 43mm chips has presented storage problems for me. My birdcages are pretty useless now. I wanted a little more room, so I went with the 4800 (on sale for ~40 last weekend) for my tournament set...

View attachment 297358

View attachment 297359

Although I have a couple of 3800's ready for my cash set and secondary tourney set once Apache's (not the case) China Clays come in...

View attachment 297360
What are those chip racks???? They're sexy as hell

Last edited:
KIMG0680.JPG
Just fyi I can get 1400 in the 4800 Apache and we live them, height is an issue so we use the blue strong foam on most construction sites cut it down to about 5/8" thick, then put a vinyl floor over top of the blue foam makes it perfect height for closing... Top layer of cut out foam has to be cut in half but not very long to make it perfect and with 20% off coupons they are 50 bucks a piece! And we don't have to worry about smashing the foam underneath! Heavy with 1400 Paulsons but still very secure and mobile. If anyone wants to see the inside I can pull the case apart. Ben

View attachment 297484
Just fyi I can get 1400 in the 4800 Apache and we live them, height is an issue so we use the blue strong foam on most construction sites cut it down to about 5/8" thick, then put a vinyl floor over top of the blue foam makes it perfect height for closing... Top layer of cut out foam has to be cut in half but not very long to make it perfect and with 20% off coupons they are 50 bucks a piece! And we don't have to worry about smashing the foam underneath! Heavy with 1400 Paulsons but still very secure and mobile. If anyone wants to see the inside I can pull the case apart. Ben
images.jpeg

Apache 3800 ($29.99 on sale) interior dimensions: 14 7/8 x 10 5/8 x 6 x 1/8 = ~968 square inches

Zeikos Deluxe Medium Hard Shell Camera Case ($27.99 on Woot) interior dimensions: 17.5 x 11.5 x 6 = 1207.5 square inches

fce838f1-0c5c-474a-9350-a50e7efa49a2.jpg

https://sellout.woot.com/offers/zeikos-deluxe-medium-hard-shell-camera-case

4.0/5.0 stars on Amazon, with tons of reviews, pics and videos.

I bought a smaller version of this from Amazon a month or so back (before getting the Apache 3800) and I have to say it was flimsy as hell. I wouldn't say the _quality_ of the case was bad for its original purpose, it's just that it's not (repeat, NOT) designed to carry the weight of 500-800 poker chips. The handle alone would probably snap off from the weight, not to mention the rather modest latches. This case is probably great for carrying the relatively light weight camera equipment for which it was designed, but I honestly wouldn't attempt it for 15+lbs of chips. Just my 2 cents, anyway. YMMV

I recently got one of these and it seems sturdy enough. Granted I only have 500 chips in there right now. Generally heavy as heck though.

How did everyone handle cutting into the 2nd layer of foam, but not all the way through? I need to cut into the 2nd layer for cards and plaques, but can’t cut all the way through (as it would be too deep).

Will post a pic of what I mean tonight if my question is unclear.

I did my cards vertically - a desijgn 2 deck box - and it was ok doing both layers. Have a big dealer pick for travel so was ok there as well...but if it was a smaller button I could see that being an issue.

A cross-post from a board-gaming website. This is an uncommon distribution for poker players, but makes sense for 18xx/economic boardgamers. I thought I would also leave this here, as I know as both a poker player, and a boardgamer, I am interested in solutions. Thanks for your patience if you're not into economic board game solutions!

I thought I'd share my poker chip acquisition and storage decisions here, in case they might help anyone doing the same. Josh from apachepokerchips.com was very communicative and helpful, and is actually now designing specific chips for 18XX. I bought my chips a little over 2 months ago, including storage and other helpful items. I will include links below. First, the chips:

These are Majestics, from apachepokerchips.com. They are "China Clays," and have a great weight and feel. I know there is a debate about denominations or no-denominations, but I prefer them. All of the chips I purchased are stock, with the exception of the Orange $20s. Josh sent me blank oranges, with more than enough stickers, and it took me perhaps one hour to attach them. I originally had intended to use grey (I think green is far too confusing as they are typically $25s), but Josh from Apache stated to me that the greys looked washed-out. So it isn't perfect, but I like the solution. It's worth noting that ordering blanks and customizing with stickers is only minimally more expensive than the presets. For anyone wondering, the orange and red are easily distinguishable, even in low light.

Distribution:

100 $1 white
100 $5 red
150 $20 orange
150 $100 black
75 $500 purple
25 $1000 yellow

Edit, as folks were interested:

600 Majestic - $234
300 Labels - $30
Shipping - $20
Total - $284

Second, the storage, easily accomodating my 600-chip set and accessories:

The Apache 3800, found here: https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-Weatherproof-Protective-C...

They very typically and often have a 20% off coupon, so search for/wait for that. I had a 25% Memorial Day coupon, such that this amazing, indestructible, light competitor to extremely expensive brands was only $30. They also have 2800 and 4800 models for more or less storage.

As you can see, it comes with "pick-and-pluck" foam, so that you can tear away bits of the foam to customize your interior storage space. The foam is fragile, however, and is prone to wear over long periods of removing and replacing bits. As such, it's recommended that you treat the foam (once torn into your desired shapes) with PlastiDip, which makes the foam more rubbery and longer lasting, more like a professionally designed gun or camera case. Acquired here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006SU3QW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...

I used the whole can, and as you can see in image 3 above, I got a bit of an uneven application. It's fine for my purposes for now, but I may end up using a second can to really make it tough and even. Search youtube to learn how to apply it -- there are a few good videos. I hope this goes without saying, but do it outside.

Third, the accessories:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5MU6JG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b...
Obtained for $6.99 per calculator. The price has apparently gone up. Theyre big and chunky, and fit easily into the case.

Most 18XXers know these well

A custom priority deal marker I got from Etsy for $15

I also got a custom train whistle to use as priority (thought it would be cute), but it didn't fit in the case. If anyone is interested, there are a few people, searchable on Etsy, that customize train whistles. It sounds great. $17

Lastly, a revenue tracker (and blank wooden discs not pictured) to track revenue for any game that doesn't include one, obtained here:
https://www.railsonboards.com/gallery-universal-hand-made-ta...

And finally, a couple pics of how it all comes together (for those wondering, the revenue tracker and blank wooden discs from railsonboard are behind the top layer of foam (loose and removable):

Thanks for humoring me, and let me know if there are any questions. I hope this helps someone thinking about acquiring a chip set and storage solution! Altogether, the case with everything in it is about 15 lbs. Not light, but easily portable to the table or car.

How did everyone handle cutting into the 2nd layer of foam, but not all the way through? I need to cut into the 2nd layer for cards and plaques, but can’t cut all the way through (as it would be too deep).

Will post a pic of what I mean tonight if my question is unclear.

Here’s the issue I’m having...I’d like to get the plaques (and a Copag setup) flush with the top of the chips, but cutting through the entire 2nd layer of foam would make it too deep.

With just the first layer carved out, the plaques sit a good 1-2 inches or so above the top of the chips.

How have you guys dealt with this issue? I’m not very handy so I’d like a non-complicated solution if one is available.

2582AF18-FF9A-4B77-958C-B9CAC70954FC.jpeg25948A79-C9D7-4F32-A9F7-71E0C18B4A12.jpeg

Turn the plaques landscape? It might require another row or two of foam to come out towards the front of the case

Not sure about the plaques, but as TonZaga just mentioned, you might want to just lay them horizontal on the long side instead of "upright" on the short side.

As for Copaq, KEM, DaVinci, etc 2-deck plastic boxes, they fit perfectly (vertically on long side) if you cut a slot through both 2" foam layers (but not the bottom 1" layer, of course). Here's my Apache 3800 with KEM and DaVinci 2-deck boxes (+ cardboard sleeves) The DaVinci box is just slightly longer than the KEM for some reason, but the same "height".

(Edit: Just remembered that earlier on in this thread someone mentioned that the Apache 3800 that they bought from Harbor Freight only had 2 layers of foam in the main compartment instead of the 3 layers that most everyone else got. Does your 3800 have 3 layers (2x2" and 1x1") foam in the main compartment?)
20190605_011125.jpg

Scratch my last 2 posts, I’m just an idiot. I remeasured and the plaques and cards are close enough to where I could cut all the way through the 2nd layer and not need any extra padding. Plaques sit a little lower, but still fit securely.

3DDABCCC-9AEB-4C36-BFFA-06D6583A0F65.jpeg

Now on to the plasti dip.

Not sure about the plaques, but as TonZaga just mentioned, you might want to just lay them horizontal on the long side instead of "upright" on the short side.

As for Copaq, KEM, DaVinci, etc 2-deck plastic boxes, they fit perfectly (vertically on long side) if you cut a slot through both 2" foam layers (but not the bottom 1" layer, of course). Here's my Apache 3800 with KEM and DaVinci 2-deck boxes (+ cardboard sleeves) The DaVinci box is just slightly longer than the KEM for some reason, but the same "height".

(Edit: Just remembered that earlier on in this thread someone mentioned that the Apache 3800 that they bought from Harbor Freight only had 2 layers of foam in the main compartment instead of the 3 layers that most everyone else got. Does your 3800 have 3 layers (2x2" and 1x1") foam in the main compartment?)
View attachment 313831
Judging by this picture it looks like four double racks of chips (800 total) with two hard shell card set ups and two dealer buttons is definitely doable in a 3800. Does anyone else recommend the 4800 over the 3800 for 800 chips? I know I definitely will need a 4800 for a 1000 chip set up with two hard shell card set-ups and a dealer button.

We have 3 of the 4800s and we love them, they are large and bulky but plenty of room for a 1000 chip set... we put 1400 in ours, no buttons or cards it's full but totally secure

The only negative I found was that 2 racks height didn't fit perfectly, I cut some close cell foam down to about 1/2" thick and a thin piece of fiberglass cut to shape and installed both over top of the bottom layer of foam which I was worried about the chip racks destroying the bottom foam anyways. Other than the height they are excellent for the price

Judging by this picture it looks like four double racks of chips (800 total) with two hard shell card set ups and two dealer buttons is definitely doable in a 3800. Does anyone else recommend the 4800 over the 3800 for 800 chips? I know I definitely will need a 4800 for a 1000 chip set up with two hard shell card set-ups and a dealer button.

4800 for 800 chips is a good idea because you get more room for cards and buttons etc.

I've modified my Apache 3800 recently to hold 800 chips. I'll try posting an updated pic later tonight.

In the meantime: the latest Harbor Freight flyer has a 25% off coupon for _any_ Apache case! (good through 9/30)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-29_11-27-31.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-29_11-27-31.png
    120.6 KB · Views: 210

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom