Apache 3800 Faux Pelican Case (Harbor Freight) - Now with photos! (2 Viewers)

Will do. Going to do mockups on the computer first to see if it’s possible.

If you can pull it off it's probably going to be snug. The 3800 is close to the Pelican 1450 which I think maxes out at 8 racks. I think for 1000+ chips you'd need the equivalent to the Pelican 1500 or 1520, but Apache doesn't make a 20" case. I'd also concerned about the weight... although a few folks here have done it.

BE2D9B76-73B4-413A-B4E6-10031106D403.jpeg

I use hinged boxes, so YMMV, but this is the only way I can fit nine in a 3800 case.

Both layers of pluck foam have been removed, leaving the base and lid layers in place. The lid does shut, and holds them in place pretty snugly.

There is about an inch of clearance in both front and back - less on the sides.

Yep just spaced it out and it’s a no go. Sadly sams didn’t have anything in stock so I’m back to the waiting game.

Yep just spaced it out and it’s a no go. Sadly sams didn’t have anything in stock so I’m back to the waiting game.

Maybe you're a younger guy and don't mind the weight. But honestly... I am finding the Apache 3800s to be kind of perfect. At 800 chips max, it's really as much as I'm willing to lug around anymore. That may mean more trips to/from the basement, but in the end, it's easier on my back. In 10-15 years, you might be happier with those smaller cases. Just sayin'. (y) :thumbsup:

Maybe you're a younger guy and don't mind the weight. But honestly... I am finding the Apache 3800s to be kind of perfect. At 800 chips max, it's really as much as I'm willing to lug around anymore. That may mean more trips to/from the basement, but in the end, it's easier on my back. In 10-15 years, you might be happier with those smaller cases. Just sayin'. (y) :thumbsup:
I'd be crazy to try to tell somebody to shave 100 chips out of their set, but I'm with you on the 800 thing - I'm pretty sure that's enough chips for any single table cash game.

Anything over 800 chips and I need the case to have wheels (Pelican 1510, MM 24", etc..) I have done a MM 20" to hold 1200 chips and it is way too damn heavy. This Apache 3800 & the MM 16" kinda hit the sweet spot of 800 max. Wish I'd bought more of the MM 16" at the time.

16-25 person tourney set but we rotate hosts every month so I need a mobile option. I could always buy another case but I’d rather just have everything in one.

I like that these knockoff Pelicans have made it affordable enough to use two small cases instead of a single bigger one.

Is the next step in our storage evolution going to be rolling Chip Steward robot carts?

I like that these knockoff Pelicans have made it affordable enough to use two small cases instead of a single bigger one.

Is the next step in our storage evolution going to be rolling Chip Steward robot carts?
Boston Dynamics is about to start selling their little dog robots, which have flat heads for a variety of attachments... ;)

I was just down the road from a Harbor Freight this weekend and picked up one of these (along with a $7 set of screwdrivers). I've been using a small camera bag for my 400 chip travel set, but I wanted something a little bigger (600 chips) and better suited for travel. Unfortunately the coupon had just expired, so I paid the full $40 for it.

Still an excellent deal compared to a Pelican.

So slight change of plans, my local sam's had 2 of these 22" in stock. I will start a new thread on these as I work with them over the weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20180613_190323067.jpg
    IMG_20180613_190323067.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 324
Is this a new range or some leftover stock? Their website shows all cases out of stock and no 22" at all.

I haven't seen any MM 22" cases before. They've had 20" & the 24" on wheels so it a new model I suspect. Looks like an in store only but the sam's website has them listed for in store pickup. I just drive by and see if they have any. Looks like this 22: has no wheels so I might not pick one up. The 20" held 1000+ and it was really too heavy. I liked the 24" for the wheels.

Imag-mm22.jpg

Is this a new range or some leftover stock? Their website shows all cases out of stock and no 22" at all.

So I went to the Sam's by my work at lunch. They said they had them in stock, but no one could find them for me.

The customer service guy told me this is a "seasonal item" so maybe they just carry some version of this during summers or something?

So I had to settle for a $1.50 hotdog sandwich to ease my disappointment.

But then I saw the location by my house had them so I reserved two online and I picked them up after work.

I know the measurements on Sam's site are super wonky so I will try and get better numbers for you guys when I start working on these.

I laid out a tight plan for 10 racks on the 20" case before I camcelled that order. I am still going to do 10 racks and just space everything better. I will link the new thread here when I start it.

I plan to grab some plasti dip too and try to treat the foam out on the deck this weekend. Gonna be warm in the mini-apple this weekend.

I laid out a tight plan for 10 racks on the 20" case before I camcellec that order.
10 racks fit fine in the 20" case (5 across left-to-right, two deep), with plenty of room up front/top for card setups, plaques, and dealer buttons. But 1000 chips in one is pretty heavy.

10 racks fit fine in the 20" case (5 across left-to-right, two deep), with plenty of room up front/top for card setups, plaques, and dealer buttons. But 1000 chips in one is pretty heavy.

Yeah, the bigger case was the same price but I don't think I want any more weight than 1000. This will just be extra room to space things apart better. But I am guessing I will be 30 lbs fully loaded.

The Members Mark 16" can easily hold 8 racks with plenty of foam to spare around the sides .... I actually added a covered box for a 9th rack on its side and still have room for foam all around and a spot for my dealer buttons and card guards

I have to say it's amazing how far we have taken this hobby, over the year, and made it better, with all the add-ons , storage, tools, etc....

I'm curious, would you guys prefer hard foam, or loose foam?
I'm thinking that the foams job is more to keep the goods tight and in place rather than cushioning and wobbly support.
What do you think?

I think stiffer foam would be better, but still loose enough to shape.

I think this why the plasti dip treatment after plucking is a good step.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom