Member's mark 22 inch case, at Sam's Club. (1 Viewer)

JustinInMN

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Hello, so after seeing this thread I decided this needs to be the future of my chip storage.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...an-case-harbor-freight-now-with-photos.28041/

So it seems opportunity struck this week. First I noticed there was a Members Mark 20" case on Amazon Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073K3NQNV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_5etiBbW9BS3Z8

But then I found out that Sam's Club has a 22" version in stock for about the same price.

https://m.samsclub.com/ip/members-mark-22in-protective-safety-box/prod22240240?xid=plp_product_1_9

I checked with the Sam's location by work at lunch but they couldn't find them so all I got out of that was a hot dog sandwich for $1.50. (At least they serve Nathan's :) )

But after getting to my desk I saw the location by my house had some so I figured I would put in an online pickup and let them do the hunting. That paid off :). Picked them up after work.

So I got them open and got some measurements and pics.

IMG_20180613_190323067.jpg

So if you follow the Sam's link the measurements are totally jacked. Here's the best I could do.

The interior dimensions are 18 7/8" x 14 1/2". There are two layers of the pluck foam at 1 7/8" thick each and a solid layer of foam at the bottom. Inside the lid is a nice sort of eggcrate style foam.

IMG_20180613_213824388.jpg

The only dimension where this case is truly 22" is from the outer edges of the side buckles. The interior is considerably smaller.

The pluckable area of the foam layers measures 17 1/2" x 13 1/8" with each square 5/8". (So a plucking area of 28 squares by 22 squares by my count.)

I started playing with the layout and I think 5 racks across and two deep with an extra empty on top is the ticket. I have 2000 chips store, so I figure I will do 2 cases :).

IMG_20180613_221836020.jpg
IMG_20180613_222017082.jpg

This leaves me about two squares on either side for added padding and plenty of room to carve out for decks, buttons, etc...

I will play with the layout some more and hope to work on these over the weekend.

Also, I plan to treat the foam with plasti dip as mentioned in the Apache case thread once I get it shaped right.

As I go I will post my progress here.

Hope to hear your comments and suggestions.

So first question. How much foam should I leave between the racks and the the edge with the hinge?

The border before the first perf is about 3/4". Is that good enough or should I leave an extra row or two of sqares in place?

I am planning to have the short edges of 5 racks across the top as pictured above.

So first question. How much foam should I leave between the racks and the the edge with the hinge?

The border before the first perf is about 3/4". Is that good enough or should I leave an extra row or two of sqares in place?

I am planning to have the short edges of 5 racks across the top as pictured above.
Really depends on whether or not you plan on dropping (or throwing) it. Two rows of cushion should be fine (1-1.5"), especially if plasti-dipped.

Really depends on whether or not you plan on dropping (or throwing) it. Two rows of cushion should be fine (1-1.5"), especially if plasti-dipped.

Hahaha, no I am not planning on throwing it. I'm at the realization this is going to be 40 lbs when loaded :).

(Almost as much as my 3 year old daughter. I love her more than my case, but just saying she could use a solid carrying handle sometimes.)

The most shock I could see is if it should shift and tip over in the trunk/ backseat of the car sometime. So maybe I can get away with leaving the 3/4" border and one 5/8 row for a total of 1 3/8, or just doing 2 rows for a full 2"?

I'm trying to lay this out to squeeze in two set up spots below the racks, it's easier if I go snug at the top in my layout.

Hahaha, no I am not planning on throwing it. I'm at the realization this is going to be 40 lbs when loaded :).

(Almost as much as my 3 year old daughter. I love her more than my case, but just saying she could use a solid carrying handle sometimes.)

The most shock I could see is if it should shift and tip over in the trunk/ backseat of the car sometime. So maybe I can get away with leaving the 3/4" border and one 5/8 row for a total of 1 3/8, or just doing 2 rows for a full 2"?

I'm trying to lay this out to squeeze in two set up spots below the racks, it's easier if I go snug at the top in my layout.

I was surprised at the weight of these things empty. Almost 12 pounds!

Without plasti-dip, the weight of the chips/racks will seriously crush and deform the foam beween them and the case hinges, when stored (or carried) in the upright position.

Even if dipped, there is substantial weight bearing on those foam pieces. A bit extra foam there is more important than elsewhere, imo.

Without plasti-dip, the weight of the chips/racks will seriously crush and deform the foam beween them and the case hinges, when stored (or carried) in the upright position.

Even if dipped, there is substantial weight bearing on those foam pieces. A bit extra foam there is more important than elsewhere, imo.

Message received, I won't cut this corner. :)

I was surprised at the weight of these things empty. Almost 12 pounds!

Yeah. Without being home with my chips to weigh them ceramic blanks are 9.5g according to sunfly. I asaume chipcos are in that ballpark, meaning 1000 chips about 9.5kg or about 21lbs. 15 racks will be about 3lbs so 24 + the case which was listed as 9 lbs on Sam's club.com iiirc.

I can see why the smaller cases have their appeal, but I'd rather have two cases than 3 for my goals.

Message received, I won't cut this corner. :)

I use this configuration to hold 1000pc 43mm set in racks. I didn't leave enough foam at this back end (I plucked it all the way) and that's why I don't store them vertically any more.

You can store the card set-ups and dealer buttons vertically, there is plenty of space for multiple.

Me also. Picked one up today. This thing is going to be HEAVY with 10 racks. May get another before they sell out! :LOL: :laugh:

I had a birdcage tip over in the back of my Suburban once. What a mess! These will solve that problem.

I have one configured for 14 racks, leaded Paulsons... It's heavy!

Small favor if you got a minute. Could you weigh the case with the foam section/s removed please.
Got a feeling this case is gonna be too heavy for my needs.

My preference has been to use chip boxes in the 20" MM case. I just can't seem to keep chips from coming out of racks, it also allows you more flexibility when organizing chips. I currently have 1200 chips in my 20" case. I think my next move is to a wheeled case, this one is getting to heavy to lug around.

Thanks,
Grant

Reactions: 72o
So home games are interfering with working on these, but I did peel the main chip well on the first case last night.

IMG_20180615_001332594.jpg

It's pretty snug but 5 racks, two deep with two inches of foam to spare, all the way around.

Closed it and picked it up. It's heavy, but nothing moved even without enough racks to cover right now. (But I will get more racks soon.)

I plan to do the plasti dip over the weekend while the weather will be good enough outside.

QUESTION FOR ANYONE THAT HAS USED PLASTI DIP: How many coats did you apply and how many cans did you consume?

It's pretty snug but 5 racks, two deep with two inches of foam to spare, all the way around.

Closed it and picked it up. It's heavy, but nothing moved even without enough racks to cover right now. (But I will get more racks soon.)

Is that the 20" case or the 22" case?

This is the 22. But the "pluckable area" is only 17.5" wide. I think it was similar on the 20" based on the Amazon pictures anyway.

Small favor if you got a minute. Could you weigh the case with the foam section/s removed please.
Got a feeling this case is gonna be too heavy for my needs.

It’s 12 pounds with. I can weigh it later.

I don't really have a scale that's presice enough for this, but I am pretty sure the foam itself weighs less than a pound.

I have a 16”, an 18”, and a 20”, but am not sure if I can help myself from snagging one of these.

I mean, a 22” would make a great base for my telescoping stack of rarely-used hard cases, and might even drive down my average cost per case.

Looks like a rain storm and a random road trip are going to delay my progress on these. Hope to get pictures up during next week.

So update, I have decided I am only keeping one of the two cases. I was thinking they could both be travel/home storage, but I decided it's too bulky to keep both for home storage and I have another idea for that which I will share soon. I am still keeping one for a travel case.

And we are doing the work tonight ;).

So my plan is to bond the 3 bottom lauers with 3M super 77 spray adhesive and then treat the combined foam block with plasti dip.

Before

IMG_20180618_181453168.jpg

After adhesive

IMG_20180618_183130831.jpg

So I am going to let that dry about 30 mins and then start plasti dip.

I sprayed both sides between each layer for maximum hold but that made it pretty quick to get the layers lined up right. I probably should have dummied up some cardboard on the inside of the carve out some to make lining it up easier, but I think it's still okay.

For plasti dip, I figure I will do layers every 15-20 mins for 2-3 layers.

And I am working in the garage with my car out and the front door wide open :).

Last edited:
I have a 16”, an 18”, and a 20”, but am not sure if I can help myself from snagging one of these.

I mean, a 22” would make a great base for my telescoping stack of rarely-used hard cases, and might even drive down my average cost per case.

Do you have pics of your 20? How many chips did you put in there?

So I think the adhesive worked pretty well. It picks up as one solid piece.

IMG_20180618_193010937.jpg

So I did coat one of plasti dip. Those of you saying this stuff smells weren't kidding.

IMG_20180618_193331551.jpg

So the plasti dip instructions say 30 mins between coats and an average of 3-4 coats. So I will do that and see how it goes. I will try to post pictures between each coat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom