Anyone know Rimmerryan in Real Life ? Sus his account is hacked (1 Viewer)

If something is too good to be true it generally is.

Sorry to hear that members got scammed yet again. Hopefully implementing this new guideline across the forum will go along way to eliminating this sort of behaviour on PCF.

I think the "need" for members to transact quickly is also part of the problem. I know its viewed favourably to transact almost instantly with little to no interaction but it should probably should be worth while that purchasing members asks the selling member for a photo with something else to verify themselves in PM. Just a thought.

New account using the same proxy was rejected. Please be careful. Unless you can confirm you are dealing someone you know, new or old account, please consider using PayPal Goods and Services to protect yourself. If the seller doesn't want to accept that type of payment even if you offer to cover the fees, I would not send them any money.

Yes, I believe that is the case. There also have been many zero-day OS and web browser exploits recently. Make sure you keep your browser and OS updated. I'm also aware of the Log4j security vulnerability effecting many web servers and have already applied patches for that a week ago.

I read that many sites like PayPal and Google will require users to use 2FA as some point in the near future. 2FA using an app on your phone is the best way to go IMO.
Especially since Lot of money change hands on classifieds; it good to always ask for more proofs and be more suspicious about the one you dealing with

Nice catch @LeLe. Hopefully all of this leads to people being more vigilant. I just enabled 2FA on my account!

I just talk to @rimmerryan on FB. I reactivated his account with a new pw. He will be on shortly

Hey all.
I was notified that apparently my account was hacked. Not sure how, my apologies to anyone that may have lost any $.

If so, please reach back out to me. I can’t make it right, but I’d like to apologize personally and would like to send a little something to you.

Thanks.
Ryan

Hey all.
I was notified that apparently my account was hacked. Not sure how, my apologies to anyone that may have lost any $.

If so, please reach back out to me. I can’t make it right, but I’d like to apologize personally and would like to send a little something to you.

Thanks.
Ryan
I believe so far the ones that are affected are @rendangzi @ArielVer18 & @chrismurda

I only know for sure @rendangzi had paid

Is this clear enough? Edits? @gopherblue Spelling/GrammER OK? ;)

Screenshot 2021-12-18 225635.png

4. ....... *requirements

Is this clear enough? Edits? @gopherblue Spelling/GrammER OK? ;)

View attachment 831708

4. ....... *requirements
Thinking about it out loud, this process will stop the quick scam, i.e. that off copying listing and stealing pics and not requiring to have chips but doesnt stop the poppin situation but we got to start somewhere.

Yall know they make smart phones right? Most new phones and new photo apps have an "unwanted image or background removal" feature.
So essentially with an extra 5 minutes they can still remove the index card/date/username/time stamp and insert a new one
Or just drop click an image over top an image.
They're hackers they do this like a profession

It's worth a shot and may slow them down or deter lazy ones at best

Is there a way to set up a sales ad with a series of security questions? I've no clue how these things function on a forum, but you enter specific info when creating an account. So if the info is already there could you add security questions like birth date, phone number, email etc.?
Or something like a banking website requires where you have to set up a series of security questions like what's your mother's maiden name? What's the color of your first car? What's your favorite high school teachers name?
What's kind of pet do you own?

I saw that ad first thing this morning. When I saw “Zelle or crypto only” I though, eff this guy, I don’t even know what zelle is, and crypto is dumb. But now I see that his first ad allowed paypal ff and zelle. I certainly could have fallen for that one, from a seller who is a longtime member.
So I guess the lesson is, remain vigilant; nothing is safe. Even if I have had hundreds of paypal ff transactions without a single problem, don’t ever assume the next one will be another honest seller. Or at least don’t make that assumption when the money feels significant.

Maybe the answer is simply to chat up your seller. Like in the war, when they’d ask suspected spies who played centerfield for the Yankees? I mean, as a seller, I don’t think I’ve ever been in too much of a rush to chat with a buyer.
I dunno; it’s a risky game we play here.

How about a registry of PayPal addresses? Not to have the addys public but a reference tool built into the site where you can enter a pp email, and it confirms/disconfirm whether it matches the username.

Thanks @LeLe for raising this at the first instance.

I got scammed US$800 by this hacker. Sickens me to think that people would target us Chippers :(.

I was on a night out pretty tipsy when someone texted me this link to what seemed like a great deal. I dibbed it immediately and PM'ed the seller. Did a quick background check on the account and it was a legit account so thought nothing of it and paid instantly (through crypto). I was even pretty happy that crypto was preferred.

My own suspicions were raised when after payment he offered me another of the same set at a reduced price...

"Let me check sir. Thanks.

There is 1 more of the same set in this .

Would you like to take it too? I can do it for $750.
"

I said I would be interested but would like to wait till I received the first batch before paying for the second to which he replied:

"There are those who want it.

If you won't pay, I'll sell it to the next one sir."

The pushiness and overuse of "sir" were big red flags and I let LeLe and the rest of the SG guys know in our WhatsApp group. Again, big thanks to @LeLe for raising it so others could avoid this.

In hindsight, it was all pretty obvious and I only have myself to blame. Regardless, thank you to the real @rimmerryan for offering a little something to soften the blow. It means a lot thank you!

Tough lesson but life has been lucky to me lately and I guess it's about time I run into some shit. Will just have to take it in my stride and be more alert next time. I do hope this serves as a lesson to everyone to be vigilant.

Lastly, thanks @Tommy for implementing even more measures so promptly It is what makes this community great. Happy chipping guys!

Regards,
Ryan

Hey all.

Thanks.
Ryan
I lost a lot of money, but it was on the Pats and the under. Whatchagotforme?

The photo requirement is fine and all but adds an annoying overhead for the 99.99% of people who are not scammers. Perhaps a better solution would be to only allow classifieds posting to members who have activated 2FA…

We’re trying to stop hackers and anyone with a modicum of photoshop skills can fake a photo.

The photo requirement is fine and all but adds an annoying overhead for the 99.99% of people who are not scammers. Perhaps a better solution would be to only allow classifieds posting to members who have activated 2FA…

We’re trying to stop hackers and anyone with a modicum of photoshop skills can fake a photo.

I can custom code a 2FA indicator on a member profile when they have it enabled but one negative that I received about doing that is it helps the scammer target the non-2FA accounts.

Just got done working back to back 16 hour shifts. I wanted to get something in place ASAP. I've seen the photo requirement used on other sites that I visit. I have receive some good suggestions. I'm off for the next few days. I'll be working on putting a more permanent solution in place.

Luckily I haven’t been scammed on here, but I was pissed off when I committed to a purchase with someone in another country, and when I didn’t pay right away, he sold to someone else for more money. Since then I always pay immediately but this is a reminder to use PPGS or at least think/ ask questions before you click send.

I am curious, has anyone here ever gotten ripped off by accepting G&S payment, sending the chips, and then getting the funds yanked via chargeback etc?

That is a problem in my personal business/industry. In general I am happy to accept G&S but I am about to list a larger (for me) auction where I would not have control over who I am selling to and am curious if that is potentially an issue with G&S as a seller.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom