Your BEST 6 PL circus game rotation? (1 Viewer)

I prefer to call them "carnival games". There is a certain amount of skill and dignity associated with the circus, at least in my mind. The carnival on the other hand has rigged games and rickety rides which is what some of the games we play are, rigged and rickety.
Anyway, here are 5 games that I've taken a liking to because they haven't descended past the first or second level of poker perversion like some others have.
1. Shuck - pretty tame when played limit. If you want to walk on the wild side play pot limit.
2. Studugi - just about the only version of badugi I can tolerate.
3. Irish Hold 'Em - I hosted an Irish tournament for St. Pat's day. It was a lot of fun. Do you keep the made hand or play to the draw?
4. Drawmaha - 2 card or 3 card determined by number of players.
5. Oklahoma - this one is polarizing. How could you play a game where your hand is completely obliterated on the river? How could you not?

A couple of games that are guaranteed to make me cuss......
Scarney - any version. Really don't like that game.
Banko - ditto.

I'm hosting a game tomorrow with some regulars and planning to introduce Short Deck Hold 'Em. I've been interested in that variant. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
I prefer to call them "carnival games". There is a certain amount of skill and dignity associated with the circus, at least in my mind. The carnival on the other hand has rigged games and rickety rides which is what some of the games we play are, rigged and rickety.
Anyway, here are 5 games that I've taken a liking to because they haven't descended past the first or second level of poker perversion like some others have.
1. Shuck - pretty tame when played limit. If you want to walk on the wild side play pot limit.
2. Studugi - just about the only version of badugi I can tolerate.
3. Irish Hold 'Em - I hosted an Irish tournament for St. Pat's day. It was a lot of fun. Do you keep the made hand or play to the draw?
4. Drawmaha - 2 card or 3 card determined by number of players.
5. Oklahoma - this one is polarizing. How could you play a game where your hand is completely obliterated on the river? How could you not?

A couple of games that are guaranteed to make me cuss......
Scarney - any version. Really don't like that game.
Banko - ditto.

I'm hosting a game tomorrow with some regulars and planning to introduce Short Deck Hold 'Em. I've been interested in that variant. We'll see how it goes.
The circus games are only rigged if someone is cheating. Plenty of skill involved, they’re almost all Omaha variants.

Okay my wise friends, I'm trying to learn more about this form of degeneracy. Is there a place that has the rules to these games? I see some of them have a basic explanation attached but I get lost, let alone the mooks I'll try to explain it to.

How do you play Shuck?
5 card stud with the option to “shuck” a card for a small amount of money after 5th street. Up for up. Down card for down.

Hi lo split. Importantly, there is NO qualifier for the low. Aces play hi and low. So AA scoops any other pair - it’s a pair of 1s and a pair of 14s. Aces also play hi and lo on unpaired hands.

I'm pretty boring, so a big bet mix for me would look like:

1. Double Board Bomb Pot PLO
2. Big O
3. Drawmaha
4. Drawmaha 49
5. PL 2-7 TD
6. PL Badugi or Badeucey

I am not game to play Archie in big bet format. In fact, all the big bet triple draws are absolute traps for the hopeful idiots among us.

Give me your BEST 6 circus games.

Has to be PL and split pot.

What are you playing?

I'd go with this line up:

1) BigO-Tahoe aka Tahoe hi/lo aka ‘2or5’ (no draw, low or high can be in your hand or on board. 8 qualifier, more pain more gain)((and yes I know others have other names for this...what eva))

2) Archie. - 3 draw rounds, 99+ qualifier hi and 8 qualifier for low, NO BOARD. probably my new favorite degen game. Most dangerous game of them all. And who Is Archie anyway? I am afraid to meet them.

3) Derailment - a twist on the classic Gods Game. Much pain. 3 boards. Lowest river card of the 3 gets that board removed.

4) Draw2maha - kept at draw 2, keeps some donkeys from losing their ass. Highest 5 in hand and highest Omaha hand chop.

5) Doubleboard 5 card - Gods game, nuff said.

6) Dramaha49 - Torn between this and dramaha Low. a coin flip. Omaha hIgh hand and highest pips in hole hand. four tens and a 9 is the nut high. hence 49

6+1) Scarney. - Icelandic rules. Lose all your cards. GTFO ! And normal Scary too. LOL 6 in hand.
I put as 6+1 because it doesn't have to get called. can be thrown in anywhere. Shouldn't be played after 1am when everyones drunk.
@MatB @bergs

do you play derailment with 4 hole cards or 5 hole cards? with 5 hole cards you’d have to go to 6 players max dealing 3 boards

And which variation do you like best if all 3 rivers have same value:
1) leave all boards (split pot 3 ways)
2) clear all boards (play cards in hand, 5 card only)
3) throw cards in, reshuffle, and new deal for those still in hand
4) other

In no particular order
1. 6 card 6 board Scarney
2. Derailment my way - ultimate hi/lo 8 middle card removal
3. Double hand super holdem 8
4. Shuffle God’s game
5. Criss cross 8

@MatB @bergs

do you play derailment with 4 hole cards or 5 hole cards? with 5 hole cards you’d have to go to 6 players max dealing 3 boards

4) other

Personally I like 5 cards in your hand.

And I’ve never seen a 3 way tie at the end. But I like the idea of the best hand in the hole wins if it happens

In no particular order
1. 6 card 6 board Scarney
2. Derailment my way - ultimate hi/lo 8 middle card removal
3. Double hand super holdem 8
4. Shuffle God’s game
5. Criss cross 8

Not even sure what half these are

Shuffle Gods Game?

Criss Cross?

Not even sure what half these are

Shuffle Gods Game?

Criss Cross?
7 pre to 7 players. Muck 2 cards each before action. Shuffle those 14 cards. They become the board.

B4782F0F-8057-404D-8A35-551CC71FFF09.jpeg

@MatB @bergs

4) other
Always 5 cards. No burns. 7x5=35 plus 15=50 cards.

If all 3 boards are the same (never seen it) then all 3 boards play. I’ve heard play your hand too but I’ve yet to see it happen.

I have held quads on a bottom board when the rivers came 3-3-case 2 though. Closest I’ve seen.

My best 6 seem to change as I learn new games, but as of today…

1) Dra2maha
2) God’s Game
3) SOHE
4) Derailment
5) Scrotum
6) 5-Card Stampler
(5-Card Omaha, high spade in hole splits pot)

Can you go wrong with any of these 6 games

Been digging three-handed hold 'em (6 cards, split into 3 hold'em hands, discard one hand post-flop, one hand after turn), or double super-hold 'em (same concept, 2 super hold'em hands, discard one after flop) recently.

Been digging three-handed hold 'em (6 cards, split into 3 hold'em hands, discard one hand post-flop, one hand after turn), or double super-hold 'em (same concept, 2 super hold'em hands, discard one after flop) recently.
You gotta try triple super holdem hi/lo

7 pre to 7 players. Muck 2 cards each before action. Shuffle those 14 cards. They become the board.
Tried this out last night at @wonderpuddle! i think most liked the interesting twist. Played several hands including w/8 players where each got dealt 6 and discarded 2, or 5-6 players where each player got dealt 8 and discarded 3.

Also tried reshuffling the rest of the stub with the discards a few times. Didn’t change too much since there’s only 3-4 cards in the original stub.

Did high/high and also ultimate hi/lo.

On two hands I managed to hit quads. Actually one hi/hi hand I flopped quads on one board and rivered quad deuces on the other. The funny thing is the deuces was the only card that I had three of in my hand and discarded one to hope it came up. The other quads came “naturally”.

I have a new game, we’re going to play it in October. Heard about it on pokerfaceash’s IG.

It’s actually an add-on to any of the games you listed (or anything else we play).

It’s called “With A Stand”. So you’d call Doubleboard Omaha with a stand. All the players have to stand and remain standing until they win at least a part of a pot. Play a full orbit of 8 hands, and anyone still standing at the end has to pay everyone at the table $10 (amount can vary depending on stakes).
Standup game is pretty cool! I heard a twist on one of the shows where the last person standing has to pay every person a predetermined amount ($100 per hand in this instance) for each pot won while the person is still standing.

So if I win 3 hands once you become the last person standing, you owe me 300. It keeps up until you sit. That could get expensive but should be some fun action!

I'll give this a shot (no particular order):

Dra2maha
Archie
Dra2maha 49
Archie 49 (30 or more pips qualifier)
Dra2maha Zero
Archie Zero (10 or less pips qualifier)

It's a guarantee I'm calling one of these games at my game lol.

Our next Limit game is coming up in a couple of weeks. Going with this 8 game rotation. @MatB talked me into adding some Hi/Lo games and I agree.

This might be on the verge of near perfection. I’m just saying.

1) Double-Board Hold’em
2) SHESHE
3) 5-Card Double-Board Omaha (God’s Game)
4) SOHE
5) Dra2maha
6) 5-Card Derailment
7) 5-Card Omaha 8 (Big O)
8) Dra2maha Low (A-5)

Dra2maha 49 and Scarney just missed the cut and I’m simply not a fan of Archie.

Reactions welcome.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom