When it's just not your day at the tables (1 Viewer)

FDLmold

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Crushing $5 PLO.

Oh wait...

Attachments

• just not your day.jpg
    just not your day.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 292
OK turning it around. Played more PLO tonight than in my entire life combined up to this point. Fun game. Up 68bb. Was down about 70bb.

OK, strategy post. I raised from BB preflop because I knew villain would call. I potted flop, he called. I check turn, he 3/4 pots it. I hate that turn. The flop hit me in the face, then turn kicked me in the nuts. This is a fold? At $5 PLO, potting does not necessarily mean the nuts, but it does mean a good hand.

Attachments

• ok getting better.jpg
    ok getting better.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 238
A basic rule of thumb in Pot Limit Omaha for me is to not pay a bet to draw when the board is paired. The risk of drawing dead plus the risk of "outs" making you a flush vs a villain full house is a potential disaster.

Hero is a bit better off in this hand holding a true three out draw (the two aces making overfull plus the royal flush draw), but the cost of calling the turn and potentially a river bet only to find the ace high flush or Broadway hand is a loser is a surefire buzzkill. Always folding when the board pair does have some exploitation risks but I am willing to accept that while still drawing.

Mistakes in pot limit games compound quickly. Hero isn't greatly invested in this hand relative to the bet he is facing and the likely river bet. Folding now isn't expensive while paying off the full house will be very ouchy.

Let's be clear, Hero is behind and drawing. On a lucky day he is drawing to more than three live outs, but he doesn't know which outs are good and which are better for villain than Hero. Villain has position as well. On balance, Hero is going to lose more than he wins and he is going to lose more often than he wins. This is an ugly situation even when villain holds "only" trip queens and a money pit when Hero is drawing dead.

I vote fold -=- DrStrange

I'm folding 99% of the time there. And as far as smashing flops goes, while there are a lot worse flops for your hand in PLO that's not what I would consider a "dream" flop or anything. Yep, top pair, nut flush draw, and a gut shot to broadway, but you have no set and no made straight, both of which can very easily be out there. The turn obviously brings more bullshit, but you know that so yeah.

PLO, once you start playing it will make you see monsters under the bed wherever you go.

If you are interested in playing some PLO we have a group that plays on Pokerstars and PLO is played a couple times a week. We play on the play money side of stars so wherever you are you can play, we send buyins and get paid out through paypal, it's real easy and a lot of fun. Typical buy ins are mostly $10, $15 for the NLHE bounty tourneys, and $20 max for the rebuy/add on games. There is usually a game 5 nights out of the week or so, come play with us, always looking for more people and it's a lot of fun. There is a subforum in the homegames forum for the PCF tourneys with info on how to get added to the club (spoiler alert: you just gotta message Tommy your stars screen name), check it out for more info or message myself or one of the tourney directors and we'll hook you up.

The transition from NLHE to PLO is trickier than it appears and trickier than most realize right away. Playing a 4-card draw game is quite a difference, but the pot limit structure also makes it a different game. A pot bet PF will not always clear garbage hands because there are so many draw options with 4 cards. And the best hand PF is not always still the best hand at showdown. Position is immensely important in PLO.

For some reason I'm getting confused. The "three clean outs" are :jh: :ac: :ad:, correct?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom