Tourney When Can a Player at the Table Ask to See Your Cards Before You Muck Them? (1 Viewer)

I've never used them, but I could see their value in a very social game, or in a game where you have a mix of poor players and good players. The show'em chips may actually help the poor players a bit, and teaching the fish to play better is good for the game in the long run.

They can also help new players by not requesting a Show/Rabbit Hunt EVERY DAMN HAND. One chip per buyin, you get one Show/Rabbit Hunt.

They can also help new players by not requesting a Show/Rabbit Hunt EVERY DAMN HAND. One chip per buyin, you get one Show/Rabbit Hunt.
Funny thing... in my group the only players that ever tried to rabbit hunt were the few we didn't teach poker. In my experience, it's the veteran players with bad habits that are the real problem - but again, they also have the most to gain.

The simplest solution is, in a tournament, no rabbit hunting...ever...no exceptions. In a cash game, rabbit hunting will cost you $x paid directly to the dealer. If you want teaching moments, you can tell them what you had and they can elect to believe you or not, but either way, it's a teaching moment.

Yeah, you folded, those cards are gone and he should have his hand broken.
If you called, he showed a winning hand, and you mucked, then he would arguably have a right to see your cards.
But that rarely happens.
It’s considered bad form.

If he called so he wasn't the aggressor, then the other player does not have any right to see his cards.

If you raise, he calls, he turns over the nuts, then he does have a right to see your cards. This is considered bad form by some if he forces it on you. But also, if he wanted to play that hardball, he did not have to show his hand first...he could have waited for you to show your hand before turning over his hand.

If he called so he wasn't the aggressor, then the other player does not have any right to see his cards.

If you raise, he calls, he turns over the nuts, then he does have a right to see your cards. This is considered bad form by some if he forces it on you. But also, if he wanted to play that hardball, he did not have to show his hand first...he could have waited for you to show your hand before turning over his hand.
Read the OP again. OP folded BEFORE showdown. There isn’t a rule anywhere that allows someone to a see a folded hand.

This is easy. TDA rules (big wig stuff) states that player would lose an orbit. I can add and prob a tooth if someone was in a bad mood that day.

Nice lay down. Never fault aggression.

Home game? Better be the fish or don’t expect an invite back.

Just my 2 cents but if you fold to action and muck your cards then absolutely no one can just grab them and show. I believe people would've been shot for that.

Sorry to go dark... BTW when I said "you can't do that" he said, "Yes I can sweetie" Two guys grabbed me! lol I'm serious! Never meet the dude and he called me "sweetie". I will make another post on that topic.

This was sent to both me and the guy the next day from (JLD) that wanted to see my hand.

Robert's rules of poker are available online here. <---- You can click that link.

Under Section 3 - General Poker Rules: The Showdown

it says

5. Any player who has been dealt in may request to see any hand that was eligible to participate in the showdown, even if the opponent's hand or the winning hand has been mucked. However, this is a privilege that may be revoked if abused. If a player other than the pot winner asks to see a hand that has been folded, that hand is dead. If the winning player asks to see a losing player’s hand, both hands are live, and the best hand wins.

Leonard

In other words, he can ask, but it's really bad form. Another BTW...we ended up being friends to this day.

So just curious, as a follow up, did you ever show your friends how blatantly wrong they were about the rules? Or do they continue to think it’s ok to pull folded hands out of the muck.

It's fun to talk about this.

I feel like, people can ask all they want about what you had, but to pull a hand out of the muck is a huge no-no.

If it was a totally beginner player, I would explain that you can't do that, ever. If it happened again, no more invites for Mr. Nosy, and possibly an ejection from the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom