What video games are you playing? (4 Viewers)

I'd stick it out with Inscryption, but I can understand now wanting to. While the direction changes, the core gameplay does not. And it continues to evolve. And the meta story expands. There is even a 3rd act where things "change" again.

I just don't enjoy the
clunky 16-bit RPG art direction or play style
(don't want to spoil it for anyone else who might want to play it).

I just don't enjoy the
clunky 16-bit RPG art direction or play style
(don't want to spoil it for anyone else who might want to play it).
I get it.

Act 3 changes back to a 3d aesthetic. Though a bit more minimalist than Act 1. But going in totally cold, it is jarring. And if you don't appreciate retro gaming like I do, it can suck out the fun. And if the meta story isn't interesting to you, then pulling the plug is probably the correct choice for you.

And besides, Slay the Spire is better. Another in the same vein of StS that I like a lot is Monster Train.

So Metroid: Dread is great. I'm hooked.
Hopefully it's the shot that the Metroid series needs for Nintendo to take it seriously again.

It is great. I've not had a huge desire to go back to it after I beat it though. At some point I'm sure I will though.
I like to try to speedrun my way through the original sometimes. I've tried to pickup speedrunning Super Metroid too, but it's such a beast. lol
As long as you stay away from Metroid: Other M. That game does not exist.

Hopefully it's the shot that the Metroid series needs for Nintendo to take it seriously again.

As long as you stay away from Metroid: Other M. That game does not exist.
Made it to Raven Beak and have gotten to his second form. Tough fight but getting the patterns down gets me further each time.

And just finished it. Great game. Missed a few Speed Block puzzles but unlocked Hard Mode so I'll take another pass at it for 100%.

I just hope that Microsoft doesn't do anything stupid like making all future games Xbox exclusives because I will never buy an Xbox.
There's already precedent. Unless they get a licensing deal they like, I wouldn't be surprised if they use this purchase to try to bite back some market share that Sony has gained over the years.

There's already precedent. Unless they get a licensing deal they like, I wouldn't be surprised if they use this purchase to try to bite back some market share that Sony has gained over the years.
Yeah, that's what I figure will happen :(

I get it.

Act 3 changes back to a 3d aesthetic. Though a bit more minimalist than Act 1. But going in totally cold, it is jarring. And if you don't appreciate retro gaming like I do, it can suck out the fun. And if the meta story isn't interesting to you, then pulling the plug is probably the correct choice for you.

And besides, Slay the Spire is better. Another in the same vein of StS that I like a lot is Monster Train.

I think I may have overdone it on Slay the Spire, I am over 40 hours in now and beat Act 3 with all 4 characters. But I've been spinning my wheels trying to beat Act 4, just can't get it done with any of them yet.

I did also try Monster Train but I don't like it quite as much. It is far more chaotic.

I think I may have overdone it on Slay the Spire, I am over 40 hours in now and beat Act 3 with all 4 characters. But I've been spinning my wheels trying to beat Act 4, just can't get it done with any of them yet.

I did also try Monster Train but I don't like it quite as much. It is far more chaotic.
It just seems that way. You can usually math things out pretty accurately.

My 5 year old loves watching me play Cuphead, now we can watch this together too next month!

I bought that game last week after considering it for more than a year..... it's actually really hard, like in the NES days. My 10yo daughter will no longer play it due to the difficulty, so I am having trouble since part of the game includes 2 player challenges. The art direction is fantastic I really like this game and will make an effort to get back into it soon.

Otherwise I have been playing the pre-release version of Mount and Blade2-Bannerlord. Medieval, rpg/battler/empire builder
Bannerlord

I bought that game last week after considering it for more than a year..... it's actually really hard, like in the NES days. My 10yo daughter will no longer play it due to the difficulty, so I am having trouble since part of the game includes 2 player challenges. The art direction is fantastic I really like this game and will make an effort to get back into it soon.

Otherwise I have been playing the pre-release version of Mount and Blade2-Bannerlord. Medieval, rpg/battler/empire builder
Bannerlord

I played the hell out of the new bannerlord game about a year ago. But have been letting them put in updates and work towards finishing it before I revisit it

Bannerlord

Cuphead basically demands memorization for positioning amongst the differing pattern of attacks thrown at you. It's the equivalent of running into a brick wall over and over again until you prevail.

The charge shot is the best weapon to use on 90% of the game. It's the highest damage and it allows you to be on the move to dodge everything thrown at you.

Good luck against Dr. Kahl's Robot if you haven't got there yet!

Activision's come a long way since a few Atari guys wanted to make a little more money on their creations. No doubt.
I played the hell out of Pitfall and Megamania when I was a kid. And my dad got really good at (and really frustrated with) Megamania too - broke multiple joysticks over that game. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

The art direction is fantastic I really like this game and will make an effort to get back into it soon.
Cuphead basically demands memorization for positioning amongst the differing pattern of attacks thrown at you. It's the equivalent of running into a brick wall over and over again until you prevail.

The charge shot is the best weapon to use on 90% of the game. It's the highest damage and it allows you to be on the move to dodge everything thrown at you.

Good luck against Dr. Kahl's Robot if you haven't got there yet!

Yeah, the art style and especially big band live music is what initially drew me in.

Seconded, Kain. I usually run that with Roundabout as my secondary, although I have different specific loadouts depending on the map. If anyone wants level advice, just PM; I regularly get S & P ranks on every map. Happy to nerd-out on it.

Still playing a lot of Minecraft JE and enjoying my first world in the 1.18 release.

Also started Jedi Fallen Order while I was home sick but haven't played in a few days. I'm enjoying it so far, but only on the second planet.

Thanks to this thread I definitely want to take a look at Slay the Spire. I think it's on Game Pass so should be free to try out.

Still playing a lot of Minecraft JE and enjoying my first world in the 1.18 release.

Also started Jedi Fallen Order while I was home sick but haven't played in a few days. I'm enjoying it so far, but only on the second planet.

Thanks to this thread I definitely want to take a look at Slay the Spire. I think it's on Game Pass so should be free to try out.

1.18 is very cool...friends and I played a bit when it first released.

Fallen Order is great too, played thru it twice which is very rare for me to do. But I'm also a big star wars fan.

Fallen Order is great too, played thru it twice which is very rare for me to do. But I'm also a big star wars fan.
Fallen Order was good. Quite linear, and I felt no real desire to play it again so I traded my ps4 copy in. I just got it again for free through Amazon Prime Gaming for my PC. So maybe I'll go through it again at some point.

Along the lines of Slay the Spire and Monster Train, I picked up Ring of Pain. I'm loving it. Unique mechanics, good challenge, lots of builds to explore. Great game when you only have 30-60 minutes.

Honestly, I have a love-hate relationship with the 1.18 changes to world generation.

On one hand, having a bigger world (floor to build ceiling) is really cool, and the new biomes are often breathtaking. The game looks better than it ever has, and there is now a lot more to explore.

But I've also noticed two major terrain problems that bug the hell out of me:
  • So much of the terrain is now Swiss cheese. Most biomes have too many caves too close to the surface, which is good for caving but really bad when you want solid ground to build a base on (or you don't want to die by accidentally running into a deep hole).
  • Village placement is atrocious. So very often now, you'll have villages that straddle a cliff or are built on top of a ravine, so you end up with huge elevation differences, stranded villagers, etc.
The changes to ore distribution make diamonds significantly harder to find now, too. That makes mining a little grindier than it already was, but I can live with that.

(NOTE: Yes, I'm a geek. Shut up.)

I'm going to jump back in this weekend and see how far I get. I don't mind the linearity that @Legend5555 and many others have mentioned. When I sometimes go days or weeks between sessions, that type of gameplay actually helps me pick up where I left off more easily.

34 days til Elden Ring. To say I'm hyped is an understatement. Going to my cousin's on the day after release. We're ordering pizza, drinking, gaming, and I'll take an Uber home in the wee hours of the morning.

Let's fucking go!

34 days til Elden Ring. To say I'm hyped is an understatement. Going to my cousin's on the day after release. We're ordering pizza, drinking, gaming, and I'll take an Uber home in the wee hours of the morning.

Let's fucking go!
Oooo….I’ve been looking for something to come along to scratch the itch I’ve had since Skyrim.
Looks quite promising, especially with contribution by George R.R. Martin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom