What other things are you a "snob" about (2 Viewers)

Sunglasses, love my Maui Jim’s!!! Ray Ban when I feeling like going cheap.

Footwear. Learned a long time ago to never skimp on quality footwear. It effects so much more than just your feet.

Booze/beer. Craft beer for sure, prefer porters and stouts.

Watches and holidays.

My speedy pro is my pride and joy. Bought it just before I joined the accounts with the wife to be and got the mortgage. Fairly genius I thought.

Footwear. Learned a long time ago to never skimp on quality footwear. It effects so much more than just your feet.

How did I forget shoes? Developed plantar fasciitis two years ago, and discovered Asics Gel Kayano shoes. I'm not a runner, but these are the only shoes I will wear for any length of time. Period.

I* am so, so, SO grateful that I haven't been bitten by the "watch" bug (yet).

*my wallet
Me too. I have several watches including a nice Tag and was going to buy a Rolex but, several years ago I quit wearing watches. I was always looking at my phone for the time of day and thought, "why the hell should I spend that much for something I will not use?".

really? i've seen plenty of 5-figure pricetags when browsing online.

i mean, i guess it depends on what chips we're talking about.
Well the sky is the limit with watches, but you can certainly get some nice pieces for between $600 - $5000 usd.

Jomashop in NY sell grey market watches, with the warranty through them and often have massive discounts.

Think we need watch thread on here.

Coffee. Hate StarSchmucks. I roast my own beans and grind before I brew . . . then I grind the game :)

I* am so, so, SO grateful that I haven't been bitten by the "watch" bug (yet).

*my wallet

RIP my wallet. I do love a nice watch. When my grandfather passed I inherited his dress watch. It is a Nixon, fell out of shape before he passed but finding someone to repair it has been a challenge. Will dig some pictures up.

For now I own a few citizens, a couple I bought through Kickstarter and one Tag I bought while on our Bahamas cruise this year

Last edited:
RIP my wallet. I do love a nice watch. When my grandfather passed I inherited his dress watch. It is a Nixon, fell out of shape before he passed but finding someone to repair it has been a challenge. Will dig some pictures up.
Central Watch in Grand Central Terminal in NYC can fix it for you. They are outstanding and reasonably priced. A family business and been there for decades.

Me too. I have several watches including a nice Tag and was going to buy a Rolex but, several years ago I quit wearing watches. I was always looking at my phone for the time of day and thought, "why the hell should I spend that much for something I will not use?".

You could always get one of these. :D

ptacasio.gif

How did I forget shoes? Developed plantar fasciitis two years ago, and discovered Asics Gel Kayano shoes. I'm not a runner, but these are the only shoes I will wear for any length of time. Period.

Good orthotics allow you to wear almost anything...

Will have to see if they will accept me shipping to them. Thanks!
Definitely call them and I’m sure they’ll be happy to discuss. I had my dad’s 1960s gold Wittenauer repaired there, good as new.

No connection to them other than a happy customer. There is a short film about them...

Is that type of directional freezing going to work if the water sources are separated? Or is the idea to pull the ice trays out while there is still some water left in the bottom of the trays?

Yeah, the main idea is to freeze from the top down. That is why the cooler and tap water inside the cooler around the trays (obv not exceeding the height of the tray) are necessary to provide insulation around the trays, but not above them. The only PITA is that you have to chisel the trays loose from the surrounding crappy ice. If I ever get this project going, I will let ya know how it goes...

Good orthotics allow you to wear almost anything...

True, but my feet haven't been bothering me since I switched to the Asics for use at the office. If the pain comes back, I'll look into orthotics.
+1 for the good orthotics. Also a steroid shot right in the foot helped me clear mine up for several years now. (if it comes back)

Some problems with many (most?) craft beers are: 1) They're not continuously available; 2) They're not consistent from batch to batch; 3) They do not offer balanced flavor profiles; 4) The definition of "craft" is quite arbitrary.

And then there are a few of the classics for comparison:

- Chimay Red and Blue (and other Trappist brews)
- Fuller's 1845
- Anchor Steam and Porter
- Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale
- Thomas Hardy's Vintage Ales

New Belgium and Ommegang make some fine beers (Fat Tire is not one of them). Celis, in Texas, used to be in their company.

I do admit to an insane lust for Green Flash Hop Head Red, but I justify it because my wife is a redhead -- and I'm not sure how many classify Green Flash as a craft brewer.
:cool:

And in our locality, Tampa's Cigar City Maduro Brown is an awfully good ale as well.

Ah well, drink up!

Shaving gear, watches, coffee, wine, but the "weird" one.... flashlights.

flashaholics : flashlights :: chippers : chips
It's a surprisingly large and active community.

I've owned, built, or commissioned custom builds that can set paper on fire, illuminate targets nearly a quarter mile away, or flood a room with what looks like daylight while fitting in the palm of your hand. Builds were modeled in 3D CAD, custom parts turned from scratch on a lathe, and my workshop became reminiscent of a mad scientist's lab.

Anything you can buy off the shelf at Lowes gets a sigh and an eyeroll.

Many of the higher-end builds (not mine) could easily fund a very large, very mint, very colorful set of Paulsons. Much like chips, it is hard to understand the appeal until you've experienced one first hand - and much like chips, they can become very, very addicting. Candlepowerforums is the place to check out the madness. Stock Mag-Lites are the dice chips of the flashaholics, but unlike dice chips, they offer a great platform for customization.

Haven't been too active the last few years, but still EDC a small light along with my knife, and have piles of components stashed away.

Definitely a wine snob. On the rare occasions that I drink, it definitely won't be crappy wine. Has nothing to do with price though. I have had $100+ bottles that I would never drink again, and $15 bottles that are so incredible you'd think it had the wrong price tag on it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom