What advice do you wish you knew at the beginning of your journey of poker chips? (1 Viewer)

I know getting samples is being preached heavily around here (I have uttered those words myself). But while a handful of chips will give you a pretty good idea, I’d say that ideally you’d want a full barrel (20 chips) to really test how certain type of chips feel and handle.

I realize getting a bunch of different barrels isn’t very economical, which is why I’ve been buying full sets to try out instead. I happened to start my journey at a good time and have rarely lost money on any chips but I think it can still be done today as long as one picks sets with good resale value and makes sure not to overpay when buying.

It basically means jumping in the deep end and skipping all the entry level crap.

Or get a set of ceramics or china clays and if you like them, immediately erase your account here. Because it won’t be long before you start thinking along the lines of ”I wonder how much better those Paulsons really are”. After that, you’re fked (like the rest of us).

Expect that your tastes will change over time. What appears to be the ultimate set now is unlikely to have the same appeal later.
This exactly.

Get samples early on (at least a shuffle stack or 10 to 20 chips) of every type of poker chip you can get your hands on. Decide what your budget is first. Get what you like best out of what your budget can handle.

I would have saved myself so much time and money if I had just gone for what I like best at first.

PCF is like Costco. You think you’re here for some eggs and milk. The longer you browse these aisles the more full your cart gets. So bring a lot of ca$h.
1678471504775.gif

I wished I had more money and start collecting much earlier :wtf:

Advise is budget well and don’t overspend on one set, set limits to 500-600 for cash set if covering 1 stake or 700-800 for cash set if covering 2 stake

Go with what you like and not the norm, don’t buy set just to get likes

I wished I had more money and start collecting much earlier :wtf:

Advise is budget well and don’t overspend on one set, set limits to 500-600 for cash set if covering 1 stake or 700-800 for cash set if covering 2 stake

Go with what you like and not the norm, don’t buy set just to get likes
I see that’s where I went wrong! I had 3000 HSI at some point. Now basically zero.

Also having more resources doesn’t mean you will make better decisions. You may just be using a bigger shovel.

This exactly.

Get samples early on (at least a shuffle stack or 10 to 20 chips) of every type of poker chip you can get your hands on. Decide what your budget is first. Get what you like best out of what your budget can handle.

I would have saved myself so much time and money if I had just gone for what I like best at first.
There is a danger to sample sets though. My Kings Castle and ES sets started with sample sets. Let’s just say ignorance is bliss sometimes and drug dealers get you on the comeback.

Advice I'd give myself if I started over:
- don't spend too much time or money on entry level chips (CC, cheap plastics, etc.). Good condition Paulson RHC are a great entry level
- try to buy primarily from TCR sales when possible, low risk of losing money if you decide you don't like the chips (although with recent price increases may be more risk)
- try to buy all the chips you will need from the start, lots of resources here on ideal cash and tournament sets, start there and buy more
--diligently watch the classifieds for chips you want, don't post a wanted ad unless you want to pay a premium (you can "watch" a forum and get alerts)
- don't overthink a purchase, if you want it, buy it. I've rarely regretted buying a chip but often regretted not buying chips
- educate yourself as much as possible on chip prices, comments in sale threads saying "great deal" or "why are these still here" often indicate it isnt a great deal. Great deals get snatched up in seconds. Many new users end up overpaying on their first premium set.
- if you dont have thousands to spend on chips then dont get premium chip (Paulson, TRK, etc) samples, buy a cards mold set and leave the site

Good luck!

Like most walks of life, use the golden rule: treat others as you want to be treated.

There are lots of great members here. Go out of your way to help others whenever you can, be polite, and PM often. Karma is a big part of my chipping experience over the years and there are many people who will be eager to help if you're someone worthy of helping.

I know getting samples is being preached heavily around here (I have uttered those words myself). But while a handful of chips will give you a pretty good idea, I’d say that ideally you’d want a full barrel (20 chips) to really test how certain type of chips feel and handle.

I realize getting a bunch of different barrels isn’t very economical, which is why I’ve been buying full sets to try out instead. I happened to start my journey at a good time and have rarely lost money on any chips but I think it can still be done today as long as one picks sets with good resale value and makes sure not to overpay when buying.

It basically means jumping in the deep end and skipping all the entry level crap.

Or get a set of ceramics or china clays and if you like them, immediately erase your account here. Because it won’t be long before you start thinking along the lines of ”I wonder how much better those Paulsons really are”. After that, you’re fked (like the rest of us).
Thank you for your advice! I will try to focus on understanding, good values/prices of chips.

What advice do you recommend to a new poker chip enthusiast getting into purchasing or creating/customizing their first cash set.

I think one of the most valuable is purchasing samples.

Sincerely,
Jack
Focus on what speaks to YOU and then set out to accomplish putting YOUR set together.
Don’t waste your time and money chasing what others are looking for, concentrate on YOUR set and you’ll be much happier in the long run.

Don’t believe the hype. Which ever way you see the herd going……just stay focused on your journey. ;) If you know what you like, be happy and stick to it.

Like most walks of life, use the golden rule: treat others as you want to be treated.

There are lots of great members here. Go out of your way to help others whenever you can, be polite, and PM often. Karma is a big part of my chipping experience over the years and there are many people who will be eager to help if you're someone worthy of helping.
@Unsteady_Legs………THIS EXACTLY!

What criteria would you describe that creates hot chips/sets?
You’ll see it in the classifieds. Suddenly there are multiple people looking for the same things, chips sell instantly, and the prices start to go up. Months later the same chips will sit on the board without selling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom