What’s going on with USPS? (1 Viewer)

One shippment I sent to California from Greece in late May took almost two months to arrive (safely, at least).

Another one, Illinois-bound, arrived obviously vandalised, with 80% of the chips missing.
The recipient submitted a damage report to USPS and I submitted a corresponding inquiry form to ELTA (Hellenic Post).
The latter (ELTA) informed me that the USPS falsely replied to them that the recipient had NOT submitted a damage report.:banghead:
The recipient sent me a scanned copy of his damage report, which I forwarded to ELTA, to rub it on the USPS @ssholes' face.
To be continued.

An opinion (for what it's worth) of a conservative (born and raised in colonial Rhodesia) Democrat Greek American friend of mine is that the USPS hasn't just been let, but rather encouraged to rot during the pandemic, by the current US Administration, in order to discredit mail voting, in view of the election.

Since you asked... I had one box arrive 40 days late. After a couple of weeks I submitted a lost item report as tracking showed it was sitting at a warehouse for about two weeks. About 30 days AFTER it arrived I got my first communication from the lost and found team letting me know my package had arrived. I thought "Snail mail" was hyperbole.

I also had a funny run in with a postal worker. I open the door to, "Here, don't know why but you need to sign for this little package." Huh, I guess nothing valuable could be in a small package and I've never seen a forum thread FULL of examples of USPS losing items. Thanks USPS, exactly what we've come to expect from old blue.

1 word: Covid

I've had shipments arrive on time as usual, but more often than not, they're way way late. The postal service, both USPS and Canada post are a mess right now.

I wonder how many chips and packages you’ve received in that time period:. Because my track record with USPS over the past few years has been almost flawless. 2-3 business days always meant 2 days. Now, since covid, having received a buttload of packages in that time, 2-3 business days means 5-10 business days.
I will say that it’s gotten better in the last month - it’s been more like 3-5 business days.

Well, in the past month I’ve received 4-5 chip deliveries (both PCF and eBay) and more other packages than I can count, some USPS, others UPS/FedEx. (I am still almost completely quarantining; only going out due groceries and essential hardware store visits.)

It’s also probably worth mentioning that at home I have the same mail driver every single day. I also know the very small staff at my rural post office. They have been quite steady during this period, so any potential delays in receiving packages would happen long before they got to my ZIP code.

Last edited:
The info about delays related to infrastructure and staffing is of interest, and something I was aware of... Just noting again that the big problems mentioned were related to misdelivery or actual loss, not delays.

it may well be, though, that generally low morale due to both the virus and the politicized changes contribute to other mistakes. One thing leads to another.

And yes, of course I realize that two problem packages in one month doesn’t really make a fullblown trend. But going from zero problems over a period of years to two in a month certainly can feel that way.

BTW, I issued a refund in the first case, and the buyer repaid once they showed up. In the second case, I had more of the same chips on hand and re-sent the buyer another batch of what they’d purchased.

While it is seldom a seller’s fault when a shipper screws up, that just strikes me as good business and good for the community.

The info about delays related to infrastructure and staffing is of interest, and something I was aware of... Just noting again that the big problems mentioned were related to misdelivery or actual loss, not delays.

it may well be, though, that generally low morale due to both the virus and the politicized changes contribute to other mistakes. One thing leads to another.
And yes, of course I realize that two problem packages in one month doesn’t really make a fullblown trend. But going from zero problems over a period of years to two in a month certainly can feel that way.
Just bad luck, received/sent 50+ packages in the last two months no issues.

Just bad luck, received/sent 50+ packages in the last two months no issues.
Maybe incoming international is worse, 'cause it has to spend indefinite time at the US Customs (my vandalised package spent almost a month in their filthy hands, according to the tracking machine).
Next time in the foreseeable future, I would only ship through companies like ACS, DHL etc, with full insured value.

Maybe incoming international is worse, 'cause it has to spend indefinite time at the US Customs (my vandalised package spent almost a month in their filthy hands, according to the tracking machine).
Next time in the foreseeable future, I would only ship through companies like ACS, DHL etc, with full insured value.
Assuming we’re just talking domestic, international is a whole different ball game with a lot more players.

There are the political theories, and then there is the simple issue of volume. People are inside and ordering LOTS more online. And with that, there’s lots of returns back through the postal service. I have NEVER seen the kinds of lines at the post office like I’ve seen over the last few months.
Got to agree with this. I've had a lot more delays recently than I did earlier in the pandemic, and sometimes I still get stuff early. I've never seen lines at the post like there have been the last few months. Glad I can just print labels and drop off and avoid all that. Fortunately we still have the same awesome guy delivering the mail every day, but he doesn't have time to chat anymore like he used to. The other day when he dropped off our deliveries I saw his truck and was amazed he could even fit in there with all the packages. He said he had over 150 packages just that day alone. Still far and away better than UPS. Don't have much experience with FedEx. Don't even get me started with Amazon (who regularly deliver to the wrong house in our neighborhood). All of them have been trying to avoid signatures, so much so that I had to put up an official looking sign with a "under penalty of law" threat that anything delivered for my business was absolutely required to be signed for. Seems to have worked, had to pickup something from the UPS store once, and the driver commented to them that it shouldn't have gone there, haha.

I remember getting a control box for my cash register from China. Had them send it DHL. If I am not mistaken, I think DHL has a facility in Cincinnati (maybe somewhere else) that gets all incoming US shipments - a dedicated customs facility so they can maintain more control of the process. Usually things takes a week or longer in customs (pre-COVID) and the DHL facility got it through in 4 hours.

"451: Unavailable due to legal reasons​

We recognize you are attempting to access this website from a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA) including the EU which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and therefore access cannot be granted at this time. For any issues, call (800) 777-8640. "

:D
Well, that's one way of solving data privacy issues. o_O

I'm sorry? 30 days to deliver a PRIORITY MAIL 2 DAY BOX?!?!?!?!?! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Screenshot_20201207-181821_Gmail.jpg

Staying as far away from politics in this thread as possible, but in blunt terms you're asking what's wrong with the USPS lately, and the reason is because of what I mentioned above. There really is no guessing game or theories to be had - this is all fact based and can be confirmed. Starting with new procedures in July, mail sorting machines that sorted 30,000 pieces of per day were removed from 600 post office centers nationwide. Additionally, workers are no longer allowed to work overtime.

What we have is a removal of automated processes coupled with a decrease in man hours and an increase in online shopping.

Here's an article about what's happening if you care to peruse.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alison...anges-raising-alarm-louis-dejoy/#ca4478f106f5

Quotes of note directly related to your recent issues:
"Multiple outlets report that the USPS is removing more than 600 mail sorting machines nationwide, which postal workers say may further slow down the mail"
"CNN and the New York Times report that some post offices were being forced to reduce their hours of operation, and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WVa.) and American Postal Workers Union president Mark Dimonstein have warned of rumors that some post offices may soon be closed entirely. "
"DeJoy also implemented transportation and processing changes, including mandating that drivers leave on time—resulting in mail getting left behind, rather than mail carriers waiting for it to be processed—and prohibiting extra trips to deliver mail. "
The mail sorting machines were scheduled to be removed by the previous administration due to significant decrease in mail volume. The overtime thing was to curb intentional misuse of overtime, especially to inflate salaries for pension credit purposes. Usps is not innocent in all of this. My uncle recently retired as a manager at a sorting facility. Every single shift, they had employees who were paid to sit in the break room and watch movies, play games, and sleep. Why? Because there was no work for them, snd according to their Union contract, usps was not allowed to reduce employee headcount due to machines eliminating the need for their jobs. Our tax dollars at work.

The mail sorting machines were scheduled to be removed by the previous administration due to significant decrease in mail volume. The overtime thing was to curb intentional misuse of overtime, especially to inflate salaries for pension credit purposes. Usps is not innocent in all of this. My uncle recently retired as a manager at a sorting facility. Every single shift, they had employees who were paid to sit in the break room and watch movies, play games, and sleep. Why? Because there was no work for them, snd according to their Union contract, usps was not allowed to reduce employee headcount due to machines eliminating the need for their jobs. Our tax dollars at work.
Wow. Just wow. That’s crazy stuff right there.

Except that other packages are arriving right on time. What I don’t get is taking 5-6 days to budge from the initial destination to a distribution center far west of the initial drop off (I’m in NY, so you’d expect these to move east). I’m betting it got missorted.

Covid-era delivery times are very inconsistent, imo. Had two packages shipped last week -- one from California, which arrived in three days. Another from Delaware, which only managed to make it to nearby Philadelphia in that same amount of time. Makes no sense to me.

I shipped around a hundred packages thanksgiving weekend. Almost half of them have not moved with no tracking updates. It’s terrible.

I shipped around a hundred packages thanksgiving weekend. Almost half of them have not moved with no tracking updates. It’s terrible.

Jim at the chip room should have a pretty good dataset on package delays/delivery. Hundreds of packages to multiple states and countries in a few days. He could package up the results and market them for PO delivery investigations/benchmark delivery times.

I shipped a dozen Priority Mail packages last Wednesday (all in a SFRB). I live in Iowa - middle of the country. Two packages were delivered to California in 2 and 3 days. One was delivered to North Dakota yesterday. Everything else is still undelivered, including one to the Chicago area. I could have hand-delivered that one myself in about 3 hours, yet after 6 days it's still "arriving late."

Jim at the chip room should have a pretty good dataset on package delays/delivery. Hundreds of packages to multiple states and countries in a few days. He could package up the results and market them for PO delivery investigations/benchmark delivery times.
I ship around 300 packages a week, nationwide. Right now about 50% of my shipments that were made on the week of and after thanksgiving are stuck with no tracking updates other than the initial acceptance scan. The others have been delivered, all of them several days late. It’s a cluster.

As sad as it is to wait for chips, USPS is slammed right now. I was talking with a couple of Postal workers about what this year is like in comparison to years past, the COVID effect. Two boxes are on their way to me. One from Alabama, sent on Dec 3rd will hopefully be here tomorrow. The other from Vegas is still in Reno, shipped on Dec 3rd.

Been pretty lucky so far, except now I have one package that’s having some issues. Tracking info said it was going to show up on Monday. Magically halfway through Monday it changed to Tuesday. Well…Tuesday has now come and gone with no delivery. Tuesday is no longer on the tracking information and it is now blank. Not looking good…

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom