We lost another great member....

In terms of raising money for the family its more complicated when selling even a small business. When en entity buys a small business what they are really buying is the name. Generally the original business is shut down and a new one started with the same name. This is invisible to the customers but makes a clean start for tax and liability reasons. The value of the name is brand recognition and an established customer base. This would be the most valuable but there would have to be someone who really wants to start a custom and stock poker chip business interested right away. I won't go through all the hurdles after that.

The second most valuable is the intellectual property rights. In this case the designs have value, maybe to Sunfly, maybe to another chip designer. If there was no one interested and we anted the designs to live on I suppose we could raise funds as a group to pay for the design licenses and have the family legally release them as royalty free. Then we could all use them without having to form any legal entity. This may be the best way to raise money for the family and to keep Sal's amazing work alive. The advantage here is the only thing we would need to do now is respectfully ask the family to please be sure to preserve Sal's files, or better yet his whole computer system until they are ready to discuss further.

The third and probably least valuable will be the physical assets. My guess is this includes his sample inventory, proto-types, lots of blanks and maybe some miscellaneous cards, cases and so forth. This could get sold off on Ebay or here buy whoever was willing and had the time. Maybe we let them know we as a community are here to help them appraise and value the items for sales.

If we want, as a community, to reach out further and help we must do it from a purely altruistic point.

This is a sad news...
I was in contact with him +/- one year ago for "custom" bounty chips. It has been a pleasure to talk to him.
Condolences to his family.

I was sadly unaware of this until I got Gene's email earlier tonight. I had just talked to Sal the first week of February and placed an order with him since he was so helpful in other projects I had done in the past. Very sad to hear. Condolences to his family. The chipping community has certainly lost one of the best

muggles

High Hand
Very sad to hear of this. I was a customer on 2 occasions all the way from Singapore and he was always a pleasure to deal with. :(

Today I finally finished putting on the semi custom labels on the hybrid chips that Sal made for me. I had no idea that he had passed as I have not been on the site my usual 22 hrs a day. He asked me to post pics when I finished putting the labels on. I was going to put the pics on and read the news. Very sad new to hear. He will be missed. Always very helpful and a complete pro at what he did. I am going to have a game in a couple of weeks and will be using his chips.

20180227_183134.jpg
20180227_183334.jpg

Potsie1

Straight
Only two days left to donate. I will be meeting Amanda and Michael for lunch on Sunday. Information is in the OP if you would like to give. The memorial is on the 11th.

Joedy

Waiting List
Being a newcomer to the chip hobby, i placed a order with OWPS this past weekend. In light of Sal's passing, should I attempt to cancel the order with PayPal?

I've read the replies and it seems like Sal was a good guy and I'm sorry that I won’t have the chance to know him.

-joedy

Being a newcomer to the chip hobby, i placed a order with OWPS this past weekend. In light of Sal's passing, should I attempt to cancel the order with PayPal?

I've read the replies and it seems like Sal was a good guy and I'm sorry that I won’t have the chance to know him.

-joedy
I thought they were not taking more orders

-joedy
Maybe check in with Gene in this thread for an update or advice?

Wow so sad. I just found out Today that SAL had passed. I guess I don't check the other forums besides the classifieds as much. Sal was such a Great Guy. So easy to communicate with. He answered every email I've ever sent him no matter what dumb question I asked. He made me some custom Dealer Buttons that I love. and I've bought so many Dealer buttons & some samples from him over the last year. I was working on a custom set with him and we were in discussion over Email. He was such a pleasure to deal with. I'm going to miss ordering from him and having him do those awesome designs. What a loss for the Poker chip community and his family.

Top Bottom