Very average ordinary play (edited from previous title) (1 Viewer)

Quads with KKK on board, got paid by two boats...

Hand #236241-111 - 2020-12-20 21:07:46
Game: NL Hold'em ($50 - 100) - Blinds 0.50/1
Site: Windy Crest Poker
Table: NLHE 1 (.50/1)
Seat 1: Woolworth (76.25)
Seat 2: WedgeRock (98)
Seat 3: pmc63 (98.75)
Seat 4: Lazer (124)
Seat 5: Viking (101.75)
Seat 6: Shippy24 (24.75)
Seat 7: sicko (401)
Seat 8: br1974 (179.75)
br1974 has the dealer button
Woolworth posts small blind 0.50
WedgeRock posts big blind 1
** Hole Cards ** [8 players]
Dealt to WedgeRock [Ad Kh]
pmc63 raises to 3
Lazer folds
Viking folds
Shippy24 folds
sicko calls 3
br1974 folds
Woolworth calls 2.50
WedgeRock calls 2
** Flop ** [9s 7c Kc]
Woolworth checks
WedgeRock checks
pmc63 bets 7
sicko raises to 16
Woolworth folds
WedgeRock raises to 66.75
pmc63 raises to 95.75 (All-in)
sicko calls 79.75
WedgeRock calls 28.25 (All-in)
** Turn ** [Kd]
** River ** [Ks]
** Side Pot 1 Show Down ** [9s 7c Kc Kd Ks]
pmc63 shows [9d 9h] (a Full House, Kings full of Nines)
sicko shows [7h 7s] (a Full House, Kings full of Sevens)
pmc63 wins Side Pot 1 (1.50) with a Full House
Rake (0) Pot (1.50) Players (Woolworth: 0, WedgeRock: 0, pmc63: 0.75, Lazer: 0, Viking: 0, Shippy24: 0, sicko: 0.75, br1974: 0)
** Main Pot Show Down ** [9s 7c Kc Kd Ks]
WedgeRock shows [Ad Kh] (Four of a Kind, Kings +A)
WedgeRock wins Main Pot (296.50) with Four of a Kind
Rake (0.50) Pot (297) Players (Woolworth: 3, WedgeRock: 98, pmc63: 98, Lazer: 0, Viking: 0, Shippy24: 0, sicko: 98, br1974: 0)
To be fair, action here is just a LITTTTTTTTLE bit different than the hand in the OP.

pmc63 raises to 3
Lazer folds
Viking folds
Shippy24 folds
sicko calls 3
br1974 folds
Woolworth calls 2.50
WedgeRock calls 2
** Flop ** [9s 7c Kc]
Woolworth checks
WedgeRock checks
pmc63 bets 7
sicko raises to 16
Woolworth folds
sicko calls 79.75
** Turn ** [Kd]
** River ** [Ks]
Rake (0) Pot (1.50) Players (Woolworth: 0, WedgeRock: 0, pmc63: 0.75, Lazer: 0, Viking: 0, Shippy24: 0, sicko: 0.75, br1974: 0)
Rake (0.50) Pot (297) Players (Woolworth: 3, WedgeRock: 98, pmc63: 98, Lazer: 0, Viking: 0, Shippy24: 0, sicko: 98, br1974: 0)
Omg you filthy luckbox :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

pmc63 raises to 3
Lazer folds
Viking folds
Shippy24 folds
sicko calls 3
br1974 folds
Woolworth calls 2.50
WedgeRock calls 2
** Flop ** [9s 7c Kc]
Woolworth checks
WedgeRock checks
pmc63 bets 7
sicko raises to 16
Woolworth folds
sicko calls 79.75
** Turn ** [Kd]
** River ** [Ks]
I think the real message to take from this hand is that all under full houses sucks and should be folded.

Okay, so the *real* real point is that if the board comes out reverse, there is no way quad kings gets paid on that board. The underboats put their money in ahead, not behind.

Omg you filthy luckbox :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Pmc took it like a champ. "That never happens again. I want that call every time."

Sicko couldn't help but tell every reg that sat down about the hand and how it was the longest of odds. Pmc even reeled him in saying that any combo of AA/AK/KK would've won the hand, so there were longer shots out there (any Kx hand where x < 7). But after all the digusting run-outs that Sicko hits, he was yammering on and on -- without saying it to me directly -- chastising my play.

To be fair, Pmc was about 96% on the flop, but it's not the first time I got my stack in bad...

Sicko is just a dick.

Last edited:
Pmc took it like a champ. "That never happens again. I want that call every time."

Sicko couldn't help but tell every reg that sat down about the hand and how it was the longest of odds. Pmc ever reeled him in saying that any combo of AA/AK/KK would've won the hand, so there were longer shots out there. But after all the digusting run-outs that Sicko hits, he was yammering on and on -- without saying it to me directly -- chastising my play. To be fair, Pmc was about 96% on the flop, but it's not the first time I got my stack in bad...

That guy is a dick.
Yep. Such a douche

pmc63 raises to 3
Lazer folds
Viking folds
Shippy24 folds
sicko calls 3
br1974 folds
Woolworth calls 2.50
WedgeRock calls 2
** Flop ** [9s 7c Kc]
Woolworth checks
WedgeRock checks
pmc63 bets 7
sicko raises to 16
Woolworth folds
sicko calls 79.75
** Turn ** [Kd]
** River ** [Ks]
Some people are just better at poker than others. :D

Last edited:
Good fold but not unheard of. The aces and tens are out, and I wouldn’t be jamming a 5 there. As played, AX is the most likely holding to jam there.

Sicko couldn't help but tell every reg that sat down about the hand and how it was the longest of odds. Pmc ever reeled him in saying that any combo of AA/AK/KK would've won the hand, so there were longer shots out there. But after all the digusting run-outs that Sicko hits, he was yammering on and on -- without saying it to me directly -- chastising my play. To be fair, Pmc was about 96% on the flop, but it's not the first time I got my stack in bad...

That guy is a dick.
Any pocket pair 10’s or higher would beat them by the river as well as any combination of Kx.

Obviously it was a huge suck out, but at the end of they day it cost them $98 and Sicko got his money’s worth telling his BB story to everyone.

Why is Sicko complaining anyways? He would have lost even if you didn’t suck out.

Why is Sicko complaining anyways? He would have lost even if you didn’t suck out.
bingo.gif

We’re getting off topic here:
When is it “quads,” and when is it “four of a kind,” and, most importantly, why in the name of all that’s holy would that ever make any difference?

When is it “quads,” and when is it “four of a kind,” and, most importantly, why in the name of all that’s holy would that ever make any difference?
Four of a kind = quads. The only time the composition makes any difference is if there is some type of 'held-in-the-hand' requirement for a bad-beat or high-hand jackpot payout.

1) His boat is also losing to KK QQ JJ and chopping Tx
Yes, but @Marhault didn't raise pre which is the paradox here.

If people are open-liming AJ in middle position and not raising over 4 limps from the big blind with pocket tens, I'm assuming this is a passive scaredy-cat game, so yeah.
I think this is the best explination.

It's just plain scared not to 3-bet TT preflop here, and I think it's that timidity that leads to the laydown on the end.

However if you've played with suitedaces he's very loose with his approach.
Even very loose players that like to draw a lot find big laydowns on the river. They don't like calling the river as much because, well there is no draw to hit at that point. He's going to decide whether you have to "have it" or not.

He had to have thought he was slow playing me sitting with a 5 or maybe a couple over cards. I didn't display hand strength at all really.

I disagree with that, you bet 3 streets, that's a show of strength. Doing the math in my head, looks like about half-pot, half-pot, and then pot on the end. That's a line I would interpret as a player trying to get max value unless I know that player is capable of three-barrel bluffs.

I was trying to represent the 5 giving me a lower boat. Hoping that he had the 5. I obviously failed.

This doesn't really make sense either. How many hands with a five are you open-limping aside from A5s? (Which is still quads.) Maybe K5s? 65s? 55?

Plus OP still betting after a River ten pretty much says he has a AAA/TT boat beat, one way or another. May be a harder fold with a river 9 or less.
This is a great point too, villain just can't put you on a bluff or overvaluing a boat smaller than aces full of tens. A river 4, for example, at least keeps 66-99 in your range, betting into the ten on the river really polarizes you into an ace or nothing. So that goes along with your original point KK-JJ don't make sense for you to have as hero without a preflop raise.

I know you don't think much of villain's game here, but if all villain understands about this spot is that hero isn't likely to bluff into four other players on the flop and is still betting this river hero may simply never have a bluff hand here, he has to have Ax even if that's the only possible value that fits the action.

There's more to it that I would consider if I were villian, but the more I think about hero's action, the more I think betting into the flop combined with the runout betrays the strength of hero's hand. Not meant as a criticism, there really isn't much you can do about the runout scaring off even loose villains. It's hard to say you are better off checking an earlier street because you got paid in multiple spots on the streets you did bet. You would be trading that pot-growth away in hopes of a river call big enough to offset the missed value? I think I'd rather do exactly as you did, even if it's a spot that proves impossible to get paid on the end. The only possible consideration is maybe villain could be teased into a river call for a smaller sizing? But really no way to know for sure if that would even matter. Be glad you got paid in multiple spots on two streets and don't worry about no money on the river, even if villain made a biggish laydown. I think you took the line that made you the most money. You played it the best you could.

Last edited:
I threw this hand in Snowie - it is a fold for TT on flop, turn and river.

Given it's a five way flop, this makes sense.

So if you think about it in a sense, hero got WAY MORE value than he should on average given there were multiple calls on flop and turn. Several villians were playing too loose for hero's benefit.

Last edited:
Let me say how I play this hand, from each seat.

Pocket tens in the BB playing deep is no walk in the park. Plenty of ways to get into trouble playing difficult villains. I see two lines:
1. Limp and set mine. Minimal risk and far fewer hard decisions. The basic plan for the hand is flop a set or check/fold. There will be rare exceptions, the key word is rare.
2. punish the limpers. Hero can't hope to collect 4bb and think he did well. I suspect the set mining line has significantly more +ev than 4bb. So Hero has to raise, then get a caller or two and then take down the pot post flop. That could rake in +15bb. Hardly chump change but not a big score.

Me? I take the safe line. It might also be the biggest EV line but that depends on the table. Punish the limpers could actually turn out -EV vs the worst sort of villains. Call me chicken. Call me weak. But do call me greedy - the set mine line is a better mix of risk vs reward.

The flop comes and I take a check/fold line. Sure I get stolen from sometimes. But with four other players in the hand, each is kept more honest by the risk someone does have that ace. And in the life of a poker player, getting robbed for 5bb is a very small thing. Better than paying off trip aces.

AJo in good position is a raising hand, but in this case AJo is in average minus position < two worse, four better, two folds > Vs a good, aggressive table this is a fold. Vs a passive table I raise - let's make it 5bb to go. That is a raise / fold to a three bet.

Post flop, bet 60% pot each street.

DrStrange

Given the thread title, I was thinking my mind was going to be blown with some story about an insane fold or an instance of catching a superuser account making an impossible fold.

Then after reading the hand history it was a bit of a letdown lol. Not 'too amazing' and frankly not in the category of 'amazing'.

Given the thread title, I was thinking my mind was going to be blown with some story about an insane fold or an instance of catching a superuser account making an impossible fold.

Then after reading the hand history it was a bit of a letdown lol. Not 'too amazing' and frankly not in the category of 'amazing'.
I've changed the thread name to avoid any further confusion.

I will say I don't think I personally would have laid down the 10's, however I see the point and will crawl back into my donkey shed where I belong.

That pity jacket doesn't fit you well at all. More than one person has stated that you played it reasonably well, and got about as much out of the hand as was possible. Glass half-full, bro.

I will say I don't think I personally would have laid down the 10's,

I agree, I don't think this is an "easy" laydown, but it's not an "automatic" one either.

If I were in the shoes of the guy with the full house, I would only be laying this down against certain opponents. (But obviously I would be playing the pocket 10s very differently.)

I’d this where we post our average play? Saturday tourney I was in the big blind with K9os and there was a raise and reraise before me. Blinds were 25/50 and I had starting stack size so I folded. I was thinking I should have tanked for about a minute before folding, but I didn’t. What do you think, should I have feigned a show of strength before folding or was insta-fold ok?

Just kidding, one of the things I love about poker is that with the same cards and the different players the hands never play the same depending on a whole host of extraneous actions and thoughts. You have a multitude of probabilities to work with and your action sometimes determines them, based on vague bits of information.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom