Unwritten Rules of Chipping (2 Viewers)

Not part of the argument, but just for my clarification I have a general question that seems related enough. I have seen a lot of people post dibs in a thread and then retract it shortly thereafter. Before I knew about calling "backup" it caused me to miss out on some chips I really wanted, but people never seem bothered by the practice. How is that generally seen?
miscellaneous-worms-can-tin-opening_a_can_of_worms-opening-jfa2492_low.jpg

If you post dibs you should honor them, but alot of shit goes down behind the scenes. I would recommend posting dibs with "pending price" if involved in a split or the price is not posted/not clearly stated.
A general rule if you post dibs in a thread you should honor them. People will sometimes dibs and change their minds, it's frowned upon, but it does happen

I figured most didn't seem to mind because there are always plenty of backups in those instances, but I get it's a case by case thing. Thanks y'all.

Not part of the argument, but just for my clarification I have a general question that seems related enough. I have seen a lot of people post dibs in a thread and then retract it shortly thereafter. Before I knew about calling "backup" it caused me to miss out on some chips I really wanted, but people never seem bothered by the practice. How is that generally seen?
If you 're not in the mood of testing people's characters around here, never buy or sell anything; just order what you want from CPC or Key West and carry on living in decency. :)
My 2c

@Rieguy excellent question about dibs.
And I hope this thread does not blow this up out of proportions. Ah screw it....looks like I'm going to myself lol

Dibs are used widely and we often call backup because that's how often a dibs is revoked. It happens regularly. I've never heard of anyone talk negatively about it.
A ton of us have bought chips as a backup dibs.

Sometimes someone may have missed a word in the ad that changes everything and so they release their dibs. Example: thinking the entire rack was mint only to realise only half the rack is mint or something like that.

Are we really going to say releasing dibs is scummy and deserving of negative feedback now?

I'm not sure, but in all my years of chipping I'd be willing to bet I and many of us misread an ad and released dibs within a few seconds upon realizing our mistake.

I never try and take sides on here cause I don't want to be judged, but here goes:

If I called dibs for 30 seconds and realized I misread, am I an asshole deserving of negative feedback? Genuinely curious of your answers here.

If so, no more backups.
Make it a PCF rule. 1st dibs bites the bullet even if you misread and buy the chips.
Yall just lost your chance at backup dibs.
By the way...I'm pretty quick with the dibs. So good luck.

@Rieguy the worst part is that I 'm being honestly serious :(

I believe you, but I have had roughly five transactions now and everything has gone well. Not to mention PMing people questions and having conversations with them out of the blue with wonderful responses. Every internet group has its bad apples and I am bound to come across one eventually but I appreciate everyone I have come across thus far.

@Rieguy excellent question about dibs.
And I hope this thread does not blow this up out of proportions. Ah screw it....looks like I'm going to myself lol

Dibs are used widely and we often call backup because that's how often a dibs is revoked. It happens regularly. I've never heard of anyone talk negatively about it.
A ton of us have bought chips as a backup dibs.

Sometimes someone may have missed a word in the ad that changes everything and so they release their dibs. Example: thinking the entire rack was mint only to realise only half the rack is mint or something like that.

Are we really going to say releasing dibs is scummy and deserving of negative feedback now?

I'm not sure, but in all my years of chipping I'd be willing to bet I and many of us misread an ad and released dibs within a few seconds upon realizing our mistake.

I never try and take sides on here cause I don't want to be judged, but here goes:

If I called dibs for 30 seconds and realized I misread, am I an asshole deserving of negative feedback? Genuinely curious of your answers here.

If so, no more backups.
Make it a PCF rule. 1st dibs bites the bullet even if you misread and buy the chips.
Yall just lost your chance at backup dibs.
By the way...I'm pretty quick with the dibs. So good luck.
You're going to get yes and no here. The defense being, you should clearly read the listing before committing to buy something. I personally dont care one way or the other, I think the definition of dibs is up to each seller how they want to deem its binding capabilities. They also should probably post said feelings in their ads.

I'm pretty new here so I can't speak for the majority, but to me it seems like "dibs" means first shot at it. Lots of the good stuff here can go really REALLY FAST! Like within minutes. Suppose you need to ask the seller a question about the item. By the time you post a question and wait for an answer, someone else may have bought it. So I would take "dibs" to mean "I'm very interested - PM on the way" as opposed to a "I'm absolutely buying this" especially within the first hour or two of the For Sale post. So you express your interest with dibs, but the sale can only be consummated by PM.

Only if you've done it before. Everybody can make a mistake. But if you're in the habit of shooting first and asking questions later, yeah, I think that sucks.

Dibs gets way overused around here, and don't get me started about dibs pending price. Wtf does that even mean.
Don't get me started on people who start calling dibs on parts of sets that the seller isn't looking to split. If I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd hang out on this site all day every day and wait for people to call dibs on the fracs (of course you want the fracs, idiot, EVERYBODY wants the fracs) then I'd buy the whole set.

I don't really like threads that use a dibs system, because that encourages people to call dibs before fully reading the post, especially because so many chips here can sell within minutes, so then that causes more people to go back on their dibs. I like systems where everybody who wants some chips can show interest, and then there's a draw later on, which also makes it less harmful to the seller if someone backs out before the draw is done. It does, however, make it more devastating and negative feedback-worthy if the person backs out after being drawn.

If dibs are supposed to be binding as far as getting the chips when dibs are called, then they shouldn’t be allowed to be released as easily as we see all the time. Either they carry weight or they don’t.
I think the key is intent. Where else is someone expected to make a decision about spending hundreds or thousands of dollars within a matter of minutes after seeing an item posted? Dibs means you intend to reach out to the seller and make every effort to close the deal. Within a TIMELY manner. So yeah, if you call dibs at 10:00 PM, but don't PM the seller until 9:00 AM the next morning, or wait several hours to release the dibs for no apparent reason, then yeah, that's a dick move. If you reach out immediately, then determine after discussing with the seller that you'd like to release the dibs, and there's another buyer or two that's called backup, then what's the harm?

That's a good point. People calling dibs on the tiniest, most desirable part of a giant set that the seller doesn't want to split does make me chuckle.
It's because poor people are generally indeed poor :D
Had they won the lottery, and without any pshychic counselling, they would buy anything that moves, around here:)

Where else is someone expected to make a decision about spending hundreds or thousands of dollars within a matter of minutes after seeing an item posted?
Right here.
Everybody knows how much money they're willing to piss away. They should know what it is that they're actually pissing that money away for. I'm sure it can be confusing to people who are new to the hobby. Maybe those people should spend some time learning about chips before they jump right in and start trying to buy things that they don't know anything about.

I don't think I've ever released dibs, other than holding onto a specific single or 2 for someone else, when I would've really bought it if they didn't.

I'd hope if I ever messed up one time and corrected myself within a few seconds to a minute that it would pass.

Definitely think someone calling dibs and backing out regularly would be unacceptable.

Thanks for all the replies. I, like probably others, wanted honest answers/opinions and got them.

I am very disappointed however that I was not called a dirty pirate hooker.

Only if you've done it before. Everybody can make a mistake. But if you're in the habit of shooting first and asking questions later, yeah, I think that sucks.
I think one of the biggest reasons you see a lot of these snap dibs being called minutes into a sale post is one of the other unwritten rules. This actually came from one of your earlier posts. “If you buy chips from a PCF user, you should sell them for the same price.”

You have a very limited number of some of these sets, and a LARGE number of buyers who want them. And yet we want to hold prices down in order to not encourage profiteering on quick flips. So first one to post dibs gets first shot at it. We're intentionally holding down market value rather than letting the market determine the value like we would if all sales were auctions. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just saying it is the way that it is. So unless we're going to revamp the way we set fixed price sales like the method suggested by @GianThaMan or some other method, then we probably need to accept and live with the dibs system.

I think one of the biggest reasons you see a lot of these snap dibs being called minutes into a sale post is one of the other unwritten rules. This actually came from one of your earlier posts. “If you buy chips from a PCF user, you should sell them for the same price.”

You have a very limited number of some of these sets, and a LARGE number of buyers who want them. And yet we want to hold prices down in order to not encourage profiteering on quick flips. So first one to post dibs gets first shot at it. We're intentionally holding down market value rather than letting the market determine the value like we would if all sales were auctions. I'm not saying this is good or bad, just saying it is the way that it is. So unless we're going to revamp the way we set fixed price sales like the method suggested by @GianThaMan or some other method, then we probably need to accept and live with the dibs system.
You're so sweet. I think most times people just didn't know there was that type of excitement or desire for the chips (and it's not an innate desire to control pricing). You'll often see chips go in seconds at a market price, where you might get 5 dibs in 5 minutes, but if it was $60 higher noone would have gone for em. I'm not disagreeing that a lot of people do try to help keep things somewhat low, heck if anyone buys from me via PM, I will state publicly the sold cost and close the sale just so that people have visibility to that price.

I'm not being a downer, I'm just being honest. Because it took me a long, long, looonnnnngggggg time to figure out this unwritten rule of chipping:
We are a community, and we are great together. But unless you explicitly have an open and mutual friendship with someone, expect to be angled. People may disagree, but that would be BS. When new people join here, they are surely helped along and invited with open arms, but they're also gassed up and only shown one specific side of people and the site. For new people joining who are huge on loyalty and great good and community and all that, well they're going to get hit once or twice before they catch on.

We're intentionally holding down market value rather than letting the market determine the value like we would if all sales were auctions
That might be the result of my proposed rule, but it isn't the intent.
As far as this "dibs system" goes, there's only one reasonable response to a for sale ad: I'll buy those!

You're so sweet. I think most times people just didn't know there was that type of excitement or desire for the chips (and it's not an innate desire to control pricing). You'll often see chips go in seconds at a market price, where you might get 5 dibs in 5 minutes, but if it was $60 higher noone would have gone for em. I'm not disagreeing that a lot of people do try to help keep things somewhat low, heck if anyone buys from me via PM, I will state publicly the sold cost and close the sale just so that people have visibility to that price.

I'm not being a downer, I'm just being honest. Because it took me a long, long, looonnnnngggggg time to figure out this unwritten rule of chipping:
We are a community, and we are great together. But unless you explicitly have an open and mutual friendship with someone, expect to be angled. People may disagree, but that would be BS. When new people join here, they are surely helped along and invited with open arms, but they're also gassed up and only shown one specific side of people and the site. For new people joining who are huge on loyalty and great good and community and all that, well they're going to get hit once or twice before they catch on.
You're so sweet? Is that like when in Texas we say "Bless your heart"?

Look, I already said I'm new and I only speak for myself based on the observations that I have made. If those in charge wanted to eliminate dibs, then they would do so. They haven't, so we're stuck with it. If someone wants to codify exactly what it means and put it in the forum bylaws, then by all means do so. Until they do, each person has to decide for themselves what it means. I've explained what it means to me. Others have described it differently. Absent an official definition, this is where we stand, with some of us disagreeing with others of us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom