Ultrasonic cleaning fluid (any chemists around?) (1 Viewer)

weak

Pair
Reaction score
So, I've purchased an ultrasonic cleaner (3.2l, 120W, 2 transducers) and now I'm wondering if people have used an ultrasonic cleaning fluid instead of (fake) TSP?

I know @DerberAlter has used this one, so I've ordered the same. He didn't report any problems, but I'd like to make sure ;)

Ingredients: <%5 non-ionic surfactants, polycarboxylate, colorants (E102, E133), methylisothiazolinone, benzisothiazolinone

I've googled the ingredients and they seem harmless. But I'm no chemist so I'm wondering if anyone has some insights about this stuff or general recommendations/experience to share regarding the usage of ultrasonic cleaning fluids instead of TSP.

Thanks

Why don’t you want to use tsp (fake or otherwise)?

None of the American brands people are using are available here. So far I've only found Savogran 10621 and I think that's the real deal, and not the fake TSP most people seem to recommend.

Just want to mention: After using the Octopus fluid, the chips are really thirsty. They dry out within a minute and really needs oil. It seems like the Octopus fluid is really removing all oil on the surface of the chip.

After using the Octopus fluid, the chips are really thirsty. They dry out within a minute and really needs oil. It seems like the Octopus fluid is really removing all oil on the surface of the chip.

So far I've been using Oxy and elbow grease which has pretty much the same result. So I'm not too worried about that, but thanks for pointing it out.

Depends a lot on what kind of chips are being cleaned. Real TSP (and Oxy) can seriously damage or disolve some clay formulas (Burt/ASM/CPC), as well as hot-stamps (regardless of base material).

Always test a new cleaning solution on chips you don't mind destroying.

Is amazon an option? The fake tsp is really sodium metasillicate. My spelling may be off, but you might have success searching locally for that.

Is amazon an option? The fake tsp is really sodium metasillicate.

Amazon is an option and in fact I did search for sodium metasilicate but couldn't find anything useful. There's Savogran TSP-PF (phosphate free) which has a bit of sodium metasilicate in it: SODIUM SESQUICARBONATE (90% - 95%), SODIUM METASILICATE (0.1% - 5%), EDTA/TETRASODIUM (0.1% - 5%)

I tried to compare the concentration to Lundmark's TSP, but their data sheet doesn't say much...

What type of chips are you cleaning? See @BGinGA 's post above. If they are inlaid paulsons or inlaid TRK scrowns, you should be good with real TSP. I would be more inclined to stick with a different brand of real or fake TSP than some other cleaning agent... always test first.

Depends a lot on what kind of chips are being cleaned. Real TSP (and Oxy) can seriously damage or disolve some clay formulas (Burt/ASM/CPC), as well as hot-stamps (regardless of base material).

Always test a new cleaning solution on chips you don't mind destroying.

Based on what I've read, the sodium metasillicate is not so much a cleaner as it is a very strong base compound that reacts to acids.
It "cleans" by turning the Hooker Juice and greasy gook into soap. :vomit:

Fellow EU chipper here - what did you end up getting, and from where?

I did use the cleaning fluid. Didn't cause any damage, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it if your chips are really dirty.

It works ok for home game used chips, but even some of those needed a second run…

@DerberAlter what are you using atm? Did you find a source for TSP?

Real tsp works fine. Fake stuff only exists because the us bans the good stuff.

Thanks @weak ! Looking at cleaning some dirty Roadhouse chips by hand, and figuring if I should stick to Fairy (Dawn) or invest in something more potent.

@mrplacey My thought was that the ultrasonic will last for years. If you value your time it's a no-brainer imho.
I like my chips clean, so especially the brighter ones will get cleaned far more often than I'd do by hand.

Furthermore it's the first poker related purchase my gf approves.
She even asks me if I don't have any chips to clean, so she can put her jewelry in :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom