Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (22 Viewers)

View attachment 1121913if this doesnt prove you are a legend i dont know what would.

I use the salad spinner method (two minutes, hot but not scald in hot water, two tablespoons of faux TSP to 10 cups liquid, a spurt of dish liquid, stir with a flat silicone spatula partway through to make sure chips aren’t sticking together).

I can do two racks at a time. I find this gets all but the dirtiest chips clean on the first try. It’s fast, and I never worry about damage.*

Honestly I think the TSP does most of the work. I’d ultrasound only on chips which still look dirty after two soaks/spins.

The bottom of the spinner and the basket are also great for using the water oiling method.

—-
* The one caveat I have, whether soaking or spinning or ultra sounding, is with hotstamps that are already partially worn. The faux TSP can further wear or tarnish these. I haven’t had that issue with hotstamps in prime condition, but one should always test first, and I use half the amount of faux TSP on hotstamps.

Last edited:
I use the salad spinner method (two minutes, hot but not too hot, water, two tablespoons of faux TSP to 10 cups liquid, a spurt of dish liquid, stir with a flat silicone spatula partway through to make sure chips aren’t sticking together).

I can do two racks at a time. I find this gets all but the dirtiest chips clean on the first try. It’s fast, and I never worry about damage.*

The bottom of the spinner and the basket are also great for using the water oiling method.

—-
* The one caveat I have, whether soaking or spinning or ultra sounding, is with hotstamps that are already partially worn. The faux TSP can further wear or tarnish these. I haven’t had that issue with hotstamps in prime condition, but one should always test first, and I use half the amount of faux TSP on hotstamps.
Do you stir the chips with the spatula while the ultrasonic cleaner is on?

Has anyone had any experience cleaning Borgata Bud Jones chips in the U/S? I did a thing this weekend and, uh, need some cleaned.

Mostly I'm wondering how to get some of the yellowing out of the $1s and the general de-hookering of the $5s.

I wanted to see how the ultrasonic would work before milling 600 chips. Now I will mill, clean, label and then oil.

The seal on the rim of the label must have been poor. Out if thousands of chips I only lost one label the same way. The chip where the label peeled was very used so thinking the edge was compromised to allow water inside.

Yeah these roulettes are VERY used. But they look great once milled, cleaned and oiled though!
1682299120740.jpeg

Well written and very informative. You’ve convinced me to get a ultrasonic cleaner…

I ordered my ultrasonic cleaner today from Amazon. I've seen this on here before, but wanted to confirm that as of today, it is still the case:
View attachment 1127783
(I didn't search for or order a salad spinner.)
i just wonder what little old betty thinks when she orders her 1980s salad spinner and gets a recommendation to buy an industrial cleaning agent.

i just wonder what little old betty thinks when she orders her 1980s salad spinner and gets a recommendation to buy an industrial cleaning agent.
My guess is that she adds it to her cart and then becomes the toast of the neighborhood for bringing salads to the potlucks that just *sparkle*

I’m about to clean my relabeled set for the first time this week. I’m so nervous I’m going to ruin the labels on them.

Going to read through this thread once over again since it’s been so long since I’ve done this. Hopefully my gear labels don’t come off

I’ll try and remember to take before and after pics

Wish me luck!

I just did my gear re-labels and had no trouble. I did 40 degrees C and a few caps of simple green in a half filled 6L unit. Did 25 chips at a time. Here is a shot of 1 clean and 1 still to go. They were both the same amount of dirty before.

20230708_112649.jpg

Fyi i know the spots look lighter in the clean rack but that is just an optical illusion likely from the sub coming in on that side of the picture. You can see from the side by side barrels they are the same. I like to go light on the solution and not too hot to minimize and changes to the chip. Also note I have not oiled these.

EDIT just took a new pic in full natural light. 2 used relabel racks and 1 new unlabeled rack. I mixed and matched the barrel. The middle barrel of the 2 flat racks is the new unlabeled barrel. As you can see the gear labels are better than the originals from the start.

One last note these were all new to start with and the dirt was just from my home game.

20230717_180155.jpg

Last edited:
I cleaned 600 of my chips last night.
I did 45C at a minute per cycle while shaking the little basket in the ultrasonic cleaner. I used a tablespoon or two of TSP

The @Gear labels held up just fine, they are awesome. I’m so happy, the reputation the labels have hold true :)

I’m so happy I bought this cleaner a while back, it saves so much time and effort.

I changed the water twice. The picture of dirty water is the second batch, and it’s cleaner than the first one I dumped!

IMG_7104.jpeg
IMG_7105.jpeg
IMG_7110.jpeg
IMG_7112.jpeg
IMG_7116.jpeg
IMG_7117.jpeg
IMG_7120.jpeg
IMG_7121.jpeg
IMG_7122.jpeg
IMG_7124.jpeg
IMG_7123.jpeg

I cleaned 600 of my chips last night.
I did 45C at a minute per cycle while shaking the little basket in the ultrasonic cleaner. I used a tablespoon or two of TSP

The @Gear labels held up just fine, they are awesome. I’m so happy, the reputation the labels have hold true :)

I’m so happy I bought this cleaner a while back, it saves so much time and effort.

I changed the water twice. The picture of dirty water is the second batch, and it’s cleaner than the first one I dumped!

View attachment 1166050View attachment 1166051View attachment 1166052View attachment 1166053View attachment 1166054View attachment 1166055View attachment 1166056View attachment 1166057View attachment 1166058View attachment 1166059View attachment 1166061
That artwork and theme is amazing.

Looking for some advice. I bought two racks of off-white IOC Bossier City T1s from one seller and three barrels from another seller. It wasn't until after I oiled all of them (derp) that I realized that the three barrels are noticeably darker / yellower. These are hot stamps btw.

What would be your strategy if you wanted to bring the darker chips closer to the lighter chips? I have melamine pads (MagicEraser). I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner. It's hard to capture in a photo, but here is a lighter chip between some darker ones:

MEpyisR.jpg

Thanks for any guidance. @allforcharity tagging you cause it sounds like you have a lot of hot stamp experience.

Edit: Sounds like hydrogen peroxide is good for chip stains. I will try that in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom