Ultrasonic Chip Cleaning (6 Viewers)

Okay, but you mention only color. Do you think the fading and the dryness go hand in hand? Maybe they do with TSP, I’m not sure. But I’ve cleaned chips with oxi that have faded (a fading never to be restored by oil) but not all dried out.
That's a good question. When an average chip comes out after 1 minute and is still wet, it looks great! Totally clean and nice saturation. But then the water dries and you can see they've faded as well. The oil brings them right back and they stay looking really healthy. So, in this case, perhaps it does.

You leave a chip in there for 10 minutes and it's no dryer than than the 1 minute chip; but it's colors are messed up. Not even oil can bring it back correctly.

We've all also had that chip that accidentally falls out of the salad spinner and you don't find it for a good 20 minutes

Hence why I dip my hand after every cycle and make sure nothing is on the bottom. I never go to the next until I’ve skimmed my hand across the bottom. I recommend everybody do that so you don’t leave a couple on the bottom throughout the entire process only to find them at the end.

I just spent the afternoon cleaning my animal house 1.0 set (with @Gear labels).
I use 12 cups of distilled water, with 3 tablespoons of TSP, temp at 43 degrees Celsius, 40 chips in the salad spinner for 20 seconds, then into a quick bath of cool water, wash them around for 5 seconds then pour then into the wire basket, run some tap water over then for a few seconds then dump them into towel. Chips are fine, and the @Gear labels appear fine. All the hooker juice comes off. They are not completely minty new looking, but good enough for me.
IMG_7184.jpeg
IMG_7183.jpeg
IMG_7182.jpeg
IMG_7181.jpeg

Wanted to say thanks for all the advice in this thread. I recently bought the Vevor ultrasonic and have been really pleased with the results following this process to clean some very dirty chips.

Thanks so much @ski_ex5!!! I should've done this years ago, but finally bit the bullet. Super fast and easy...1200+ chips without breaking a sweat!

IMG_20240331_165751671.jpg

IMG_20240331_165804682.jpg

IMG_20240331_190004268_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Okay! Finally taking the plunge, followed steps in OP. Worried a bit about fading on these old beatup roulettes. Tried a minute for these and when Im comparing before and after, I think some of it is dirt and just cleaner but also think Im losing a bit.
20240406_144015.jpg

20240406_145516.jpg

Shown with one chip that didnt go through (left, out of column). Ive only seen these with the THC looking like they got filled it, so some of it may be my mind playying tricks now that its uniform, but seems rounder too. Only did a few to test.
20240406_144242.jpg

Okay! Finally taking the plunge, followed steps in OP. Worried a bit about fading on these old beatup roulettes. Tried a minute for these and when Im comparing before and after, I think some of it is dirt and just cleaner but also think Im losing a bit.
View attachment 1306328
View attachment 1306321
Shown with one chip that didnt go through (left, out of column). Ive only seen these with the THC looking like they got filled it, so some of it may be my mind playying tricks now that its uniform, but seems rounder too. Only did a few to test.
View attachment 1306330

Don't be afraid to keep the chips in the ultrasonic for 2, even 3 minutes I necessary to get off all the gunk. You'll be oiling them after, anyway.

I've used a needle to get the most stubborn gunk out of the cane area.

Don't be afraid to keep the chips in the ultrasonic for 2, even 3 minutes I necessary to get off all the gunk. You'll be oiling them after, anyway.

I've used a needle to get the most stubborn gunk out of the cane area.
This is comforting. Once inside they don't look as faded as they first did outside with my eye protection on. My main focus is not permanently damaging them, I love that green color.

Good call on the needle, I've had good success doing a simple toothbruth, then using a dental pick for the outer ring, gotta get into that cane as well.

Edit: And wow my resolution and pictures are bad, thank God I'm no longer dating, pictures are hard.

This is comforting. Once inside they don't look as faded as they first did outside with my eye protection on. My main focus is not permanently damaging them, I love that green color.

Good call on the needle, I've had good success doing a simple toothbruth, then using a dental pick for the outer ring, gotta get into that cane as well.

Edit: And wow my resolution and pictures are bad, thank God I'm no longer dating, pictures are hard.

Beautiful!! 5 minutes just stirring, dawn in water.
20240413_153203.jpg
20240413_153810.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom