My 1st Ultrasonic Cleaning (1 Viewer)

ADS Aviator

Flush
Reaction score
This was my first ultrasonic cleaning attempt. I followed @ski_ex5 & @NorCalChip directions with the following changes:

1. I used this 6L Ultrasonic : http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Industry-Heated-Heater-w-Timer/181434466620?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
  2. I used Savogran 10621TSP instead of Lundmark
  3. I figured out after the first couple of batches that I didn't have enough distilled water in the Ultrasonic. I think Ski & NorCal were using 3L models & I duplicated their TSP & Distilled water volume in my 6L. Didn't occur to me to double it until I was in the middle, so I just added distilled water & kept going. As a result my TSP concentration was lower.
I cleaned 160 lightly soiled Paris $1s & then 90 very dirty Flamingo $5s. I'm very happy with the results. Now that I know what I'm doing, this will be even easier next time.

Before & After of the $5s.

BeforeAfter1.jpg

BeforeAfter2.jpg

Looks good! 90 seconds is usually good enough for lightly soiled chips. 2 minutes or more required for nastier ones. However, the ultrasonic is not foolproof, there are some types of embedded gunk that it will not remove, so review your chips after. I had about 2 dozen chips out of the 1700 that I did yesterday that had some nastiness that could only be taken out after I brought out the steel wool pad.

I hate to hijack the thread but does anyone know how well the ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight does?

I hate to hijack the thread but does anyone know how well the ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight does?

If someone has experience with the Harbor Freight cleaner, hopefully they will chime in. But the website & manual are unclear how many transducers it has. Possibly only one? I chose the one I did, because it had 3 and it was under $100. In @ski_ex5 thread, he specifically said that if you skimp on transducer power, that you'll be disappointed & more transducers is better.

The improvement is quite unbelievable :jawdrop: That really motivates me taking one of those ultrasonic cleaner. Thanks for sharing ^^

Does a salad spinner fit in this one? If so which spinner? Also did anyone figure out what tsp to use?

FWIW I don't use a salad spinner. I just stir the chips with a spoon

This was my first ultrasonic cleaning attempt. I followed @ski_ex5 & @NorCalChip directions with the following changes:

1. I used this 6L Ultrasonic : http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-6L-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Stainless-Steel-Industry-Heated-Heater-w-Timer/181434466620?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
  2. I used Savogran 10621TSP instead of Lundmark
  3. I figured out after the first couple of batches that I didn't have enough distilled water in the Ultrasonic. I think Ski & NorCal were using 3L models & I duplicated their TSP & Distilled water volume in my 6L. Didn't occur to me to double it until I was in the middle, so I just added distilled water & kept going. As a result my TSP concentration was lower.
I cleaned 160 lightly soiled Paris $1s & then 90 very dirty Flamingo $5s. I'm very happy with the results. Now that I know what I'm doing, this will be even easier next time.

Before & After of the $5s.

View attachment 216530

View attachment 216531

Lol, “this item is out of stock”

8706F9C7-C1AD-4F01-A3A0-9659B69E2E13.png

How important is it to use distilled water? I just set up everything and realized I only have tap...

How important is it to use distilled water? I just set up everything and realized I only have tap...

Highly recommended in most geographical areas, but it really depends on the quality of your water. You would have to have the best quality water in order to forego distilled for ultrasonic cleaning. Luckily for me, I do live in an area with very good quality tap water.

I think it's pretty important. Same thing happened to me & I had to stop & run to the store for distilled. Now I always keep a couple of gallons in the pantry.

Tap instead of distilled - Will they come out cleaner than when they went in? Probably. Will they be as clean as they would have if you had used distilled? Maybe, but probably not. Better to do it correctly the first time.

Thoughts on filtered water? We have two giant pitcher filters that we use for drinking water. Would that work as well as distilled?

So much varying info in all the different threads. I have the 6l unit from the first post here, I think I'm supposed to do 1 tbsp of lundmark with 3 to 4 liters of water? Half the capacity? Around 100 degrees? I min per 30 to 40 chips?

I don't think filtered, gets out all of the minerals?? Ski recommended 2tbsp per 8 cups of water. I think this was good for a 3L, but I feel the water level is too low in the 6L. So I double it. 4tbsp in 16 cups (1 gallon) gets the 6L half full. I try to keep the temp between 37-40C.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom