TINA Card Mold Stacking.. (1 Viewer)

I ordered 3575 cards mold customs expecting to toss ~20%, In the end 2 broke in shipping and the rest were all very good from the early alternate supplier "Anita" who was slightly cheaper than "Tina". Some of my chips have seen play in a cash and tourney on different days with my CPC's playing in the cash/tourney portion of the night. Players love HSI's so are hard to break away from them.

I believe with extensive use the ceramic cards chips will become slick once worn smooth. This should take some time however and if you only play games a few times a year this may never happen. High use facilities like anything will require replacements and higher end options in that case may last longer.

As for handling they are huge upgrade from China Clays in my opinion, I had a big set of Crazy horse chips, played them once and after having Pauslons in the past needed higher end.

Where are you in Canada? I am in Georgina Ontario, I have cards molds "Anita's" and various Paulson's if you want to get a sampling of what's avail.
I’m in Orangeville. Maybe about an hour from you. I appreciate that and might take you up on it. Kind of a tricky spot I’m in now….still back and forth on just cancelling and holding out for a better set

Here’s a stack of 100 crazy horse. I couldn’t figure out how to upload the video of moving it around. Granted this is on a flat coffee table vs my felt and nobody would stack this high in my game but my point is these are fairly low end chips and they stack pretty well. If the card molds get slick over time and have stability/spinner issues I think that’s a concern for me.

I also think I need to start researching how to oil these chips as they getting brittle and leave a mess on the table after a game.

I think I’m going back to the drawing board for a new set.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• 7FA9C90A-9716-4537-8AAD-0C4A68873D4D.jpeg
    7FA9C90A-9716-4537-8AAD-0C4A68873D4D.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 1E89B817-9A1D-4605-9DB9-1BBAC6930B8C.jpeg
    1E89B817-9A1D-4605-9DB9-1BBAC6930B8C.jpeg
    146.1 KB · Views: 136
^ Exactly. Order 10% extras and ditch the rejects (spinners, misprints, misaligned, and/or broken). Still a win at these prices.

Poor @TheChipRoom gets orders of 324 x $1, 324 x $5, 214 x $25 etc… haha
This is exactly what I did. I hate the odd numbers that I ordered, (205, 405, 165, etc) but I did it just to cover any really bad chips in production as I imagine Tina won't replace those bad chips on her own unless they really stand out for some reason.

I got caught in Chinese New Year also, so my chips are finished, but the inlays still need to be applied... and they won't be until first week of February. @ChippinUp Have you considered getting Tina's Hybrid chips? Since you are getting no mold anyway it might be the best option to avoid what you are worried about. According to my research, and others on the forum, the hybrid chips have virtually no spinners. I can imagine that because the inlay takes up almost 26mm of the 39mm chip, 2/3rds of the chip is covered by the inlay causing the ceramic surface area to wear slower from handling. Also, the inlay is slightly recessed, so the possibility of spinners is greatly reduced.

@Himewad has hybrid Tina chips but I'm not sure he has felted them yet...

This is exactly what I did. I hate the odd numbers that I ordered, (205, 405, 165, etc) but I did it just to cover any really bad chips in production as I imagine Tina won't replace those bad chips on her own unless they really stand out for some reason.

I got caught in Chinese New Year also, so my chips are finished, but the inlays still need to be applied... and they won't be until first week of February. @ChippinUp Have you considered getting Tina's Hybrid chips? Since you are getting no mold anyway it might be the best option to avoid what you are worried about. According to my research, and others on the forum, the hybrid chips have virtually no spinners. I can imagine that because the inlay takes up almost 26mm of the 39mm chip, 2/3rds of the chip is covered by the inlay causing the ceramic surface area to wear slower from handling. Also, the inlay is slightly recessed, so the possibility of spinners is greatly reduced.

@Himewad has hybrid Tina chips but I'm not sure he has felted them yet...
To be honest I haven’t looked at the No mold texture chips. My current order is for the card mold design. Is the hybrid basically a ceramic with a large inlay? Are the costs similar?

I’m going to look into this. Appreciate the lead!!!

Do they come with inlays, or is that entirely separate?
Inlays are included in the price. Technically, the chips are 30-something cents each, then Tina charges a $150
-ish setup fee for the labels. So it’s much cheaper to order a large number of the same chips than a small order.

You need one design for the chips, and one design for the labels.

i have a lot of cards mold sets now and there are a few spinners, which I’ve never bothered to remove. However my players almost all make stacks of 20 with them in play and we’ve not had any real issues stacking them.

Yes my Paulson and CPCs stack a little better, but not one player has had an issue playing with the cards mold sets.

Inlays are included in the price. Technically, the chips are 30-something cents each, then Tina charges a $150
-ish setup fee for the labels. So it’s much cheaper to order a large number of the same chips than a small order.

You need one design for the chips, and one design for the labels.
Do they come with inlays, or is that entirely separate?
To be honest I haven’t looked at the No mold texture chips. My current order is for the card mold design. Is the hybrid basically a ceramic with a large inlay? Are the costs similar?

I’m going to look into this. Appreciate the lead!!!
I was quoted .32¢/chip on cards/diamond mold and .35¢/chip for the plain mold textured with inlay in addition to the $158 inlay setup fee.

I ordered 2280 chips total, though 80 of those were 43mm chips... 2200 were 39mm hybrid.

Including shipping, Alibaba platform fees, taxes, inlay setup, cost per chip, and discounts (I got $50 off for ordering before 12/30/22) the grand total was about $1220. Dividing the math on 2280 chips gets us to around .54¢ per chip.

I totally imagine that if you order direct (not in a group buy) a set of cards mold chips it would come out around the same. Granted the inlays take about 2 weeks for the manufacturer to receive before they can finish the chips, so instead of a 7 day turnaround time to shipping it's like a 3-4 week turnaround to shipping. Totally worth it in my opinion if the chips look, feel, and play better, even in the slightest.

And I agree with @Himewad that ordering more chips makes the inlay cost almost nonexistent. I'm already thinking about adding on to certain denominations but I want to wait to receive the chips before I do. I'm wondering if that setup fee will be waived or if they'll charge me again for more of the same chip inlays.

I was quoted .32¢/chip on cards/diamond mold and .35¢/chip for the plain mold textured with inlay in addition to the $158 inlay setup fee.

I ordered 2280 chips total, though 80 of those were 43mm chips... 2200 were 39mm hybrid.

Including shipping, Alibaba platform fees, taxes, inlay setup, cost per chip, and discounts (I got $50 off for ordering before 12/30/22) the grand total was about $1220. Dividing the math on 2280 chips gets us to around .54¢ per chip.

I totally imagine that if you order direct (not in a group buy) a set of cards mold chips it would come out around the same. Granted the inlays take about 2 weeks for the manufacturer to receive before they can finish the chips, so instead of a 7 day turnaround time to shipping it's like a 3-4 week turnaround to shipping. Totally worth it in my opinion if the chips look, feel, and play better, even in the slightest.

And I agree with @Himewad that ordering more chips makes the inlay cost almost nonexistent. I'm already thinking about adding on to certain denominations but I want to wait to receive the chips before I do. I'm wondering if that setup fee will be waived or if they'll charge me again for more of the same chip inlays.

Wow! Perfect info! I was thinking of designing a huge set for next Xmas gifts for my aunts and uncles with our family name on them or something of that sort. Would probably need about that many to split into useful sets for people.

Wow! Perfect info! I was thinking of designing a huge set for next Xmas gifts for my aunts and uncles with our family name on them or something of that sort. Would probably need about that many to split into useful sets for people.
I think these are probably the perfect gifts for casual card players.... price is great and these are probably an upgrade to any casual user used to dice chips or cheap chips from Target/Amazon. Customizable too.... wow, probably gonna steal your idea and get some as gifts too...

Thanks again for all the replies everyone. I ended up canceling my Tina ceramics and ordering a set from BrPro last night. I decided on the tiki kings as they were the first set I ordered samples for. I know the design isn’t for everyone but for some reason I just love the vibrant colours. I ordered a fairly stock set of 700 but added an additional 60 semi custom .50 cent fracs. I’ll probably add to this set to make it work if we ever play a tourney.

I’ve always wanted a set of ceramics but now that they are on order I want to take my time and build another cash set of Paulson’s.

Thanks again guys!

Thanks again for all the replies everyone. I ended up canceling my Tina ceramics and ordering a set from BrPro last night. I decided on the tiki kings as they were the first set I ordered samples for. I know the design isn’t for everyone but for some reason I just love the vibrant colours. I ordered a fairly stock set of 700 but added an additional 60 semi custom .50 cent fracs. I’ll probably add to this set to make it work if we ever play a tourney.

I’ve always wanted a set of ceramics but now that they are on order I want to take my time and build another cash set of Paulson’s.

Thanks again guys!

Not sure what breakdown you’re looking for but did you see @calfdemon ’s set for sale

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/tiki-kings-800-chip-cash-set.100002/

Ceramic hybrid chips do NOT have inlays. They are adhesive-backed labels/stickers -- some with lamination attached, some without.

But please stop calling them inlays. They don't meet the definition on any level.

If the CM get slippery, has anyone tried sanding them? I did this with my matsui set and seemed to help the slipperiness.
A14DC0FF-D90D-4B54-9CE2-7C896B41A772.jpeg

If the CM get slippery, has anyone tried sanding them? I did this with my matsui set and seemed to help the slipperiness.
View attachment 1065412
Sanding ceramics not a good idea; doesn't take much to remove the dye-sub printed layer and reveal the white base ceramic chip beneath.

Plastics are different -- the colored spot material is usually pretty substantial, and actually usually solid on most high-end chips.

Ceramic hybrid chips do NOT have inlays. They are adhesive-backed labels/stickers -- some with lamination attached, some without.

But please stop calling them inlays. They don't meet the definition on any level.
It's just a term so people know it's not printed on the ceramic chip itself. It's not a big deal to call it an inlay. Sticker / label / inlay ... same thing when referring to ceramic hybrid chips.

It's just a term so people know it's not printed on the ceramic chip itself. It's not a big deal to call it an inlay. Sticker / label / inlay ... same thing when referring to ceramic hybrid chips.
I was going to make the same correction as I was scrolling through, until I saw that Dave already had. A lot of what we do here is teach people about poker chips. Or at least that’s how I see it. So we might as well get it right.
A ceramic hybrid has a label. You can also call it a sticker. You cannot accurately call it an inlay because it isn’t inlaid into the chip.

I was going to make the same correction as I was scrolling through, until I saw that Dave already had. A lot of what we do here is teach people about poker chips. Or at least that’s how I see it. So we might as well get it right.
A ceramic hybrid has a label. You can also call it a sticker. You cannot accurately call it an inlay because it isn’t inlaid into the chip.
I understand the difference, and I get that people are trying to teach others about proper terminology. AKAIK the only time this would even matter is if you're talking about clay chips. I've never seen a true inlay (by the pure chip definition of the word) on a plastic, ceramic, or china clay chip. So if people are just talking about ceramic chips, I don't see why it matters. We all know it's a sticker.

Typically, I will say the "inlay area" when discussing this stuff. Because I've been yelled at before.

I've never seen a true inlay (by the pure chip definition of the word) on a plastic, ceramic, or china clay chip. So if people are just talking about ceramic chips, I don't see why it matters.
Because it's not correct. With new members joining PCF every day, it's just bad form to promote inaccurate terminology.

We all know it's a sticker.
Collectively, as a group, no 'we all' don't.

Most of the time 'inlay' is misused is because the poster doesn't understand the difference..... yet. If not corrected, they may never learn. Same for those that show up here considering buying 13g slugged 'clay' chips.

Part of the community aspect of this place is enlightening people, educating, and passing on knowledge. To promote inaccurate and lazy terminology is to do all members a disservice.

And in conversation when someone uses the wrong word, there will always be a person that corrects them, as well as someone that won’t, but understood what they meant.
I guess this is more about people than poker chips.

I did not know that a sticker in the middle of a chip does not constitute an "inlay," so I appreciate the differentiation.

But I also understand that functionally there is a separate material printed and attached to an otherwise continuous chip surface.... so I still don't understand the difference between an inlay and a sticker on a ceramic.

I appreciate the education.

I did not know that a sticker in the middle of a chip does not constitute an "inlay," so I appreciate the differentiation.

But I also understand that functionally there is a separate material printed and attached to an otherwise continuous chip surface.... so I still don't understand the difference between an inlay and a sticker on a ceramic.

I appreciate the education.
A ceramic chip either has a label (sticker) applied to a recessed area or sub-dye directly onto the chip

A ceramic chip either has a label (sticker) applied to a recessed area or sub-dye directly onto the chip
That's the part I understood already lol.

I'm assuming that a "real" inlay is not a sticker? But if it's not a sticker, then how is an inlay murdered? etc etc etc

Edit: Inlay for me was more of a verb: to apply something on top of the otherwise continuous surface. I'm looking for the noun definition of inlay now that it has been pointed out there's a difference. Thanks.

That's the part I understood already lol.

I'm assuming that a "real" inlay is not a sticker? But if it's not a sticker, then how is an inlay murdered? etc etc etc
It is compressed into a clay chip but you can still remove them with some effort and tools

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom