TINA Card Mold Stacking.. (1 Viewer)

I did not know that a sticker in the middle of a chip does not constitute an "inlay," so I appreciate the differentiation.

But I also understand that functionally there is a separate material printed and attached to an otherwise continuous chip surface.... so I still don't understand the difference between an inlay and a sticker on a ceramic.

I appreciate the education.
It has to do with the production of different types of chips.

for ceramic chips the chip is dyed on the surface of the chips, and if it has a recessed center (ceramic hybrid) a label (or sticker) is attached into the recessed center at the last stage of production.

For clay chips the inlay is pressed into the chip during the actual pressing of the chip. It means that the inlay will sit more flush with the chip itself and look like its basically a part of the chip.

An inlay is pre-printed, and either paper or vinyl, with a laminate on top. It is tacked to the clay blank with a small amount of adhesive to hold it place before the press mashes the inlay into the chip (and adding the mold) under heat and pressure. What you're left with is a smooth surface on the chip where the clay material and inlay are on the same surface. The inlay is "inlaid" into the chip and the only way to remove it is with a sharp knife to cut it out.
Murder is the term, but it's more like surgery. You're not killing the chip, just removing an organ. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

So the main difference is the process used when adding to the chip, and not necessarily the substance or material added.

Perfect. Thanks.
Inlay (compressed into the chip - in the process of being removed)
1674594816771.png

Inlay removed and ready for a label (i.e. sticker) to be applied
1674594858965.png

Stickers applied. Technically, no longer an inlay.
1674594935519.png

And in conversation when someone uses the wrong word, there will always be a person that corrects them, as well as someone that won’t, but understood what they meant.
I guess this is more about people than poker chips.
It’s not like I’m correcting anybody’s grammar or spelling.
I can’t speak for Dave, but this isn’t about me and it’s not about being right or correcting people. It’s about sharing knowledge about poker chips. Which it seems like you just took the time to do yourself (explaining inlays.). So I guess we’re on the same page?

It’s not like I’m correcting anybody’s grammar or spelling.
I can’t speak for Dave, but this isn’t about me and it’s not about being right or correcting people. It’s about sharing knowledge about poker chips. Which it seems like you just took the time to do yourself (explaining inlays.). So I guess we’re on the same page?
You're right, we are on the same page.
I think what brought this all up is the initial correction didn't seem as much educating but more about scolding.
But I could have read it wrong.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom