Time for a cocktail! (2 Viewers)

After, otherwise it’s sickly sweet IMO

Edit: 1:1 ratio. That goes for honey syrup as well just in case you want to make a Bee’s Knees or a variation thereof IMO

Never have cut the agave with water, since it will mix a lot easier than honey (which I have cut, bee's knees and bitter bee are delish).

I made some margs as you suggested and they were great! Excellent recipe my man.

Out for a nice anniversary dinner with my lovely wife. Had what the restaurant calls The Local—bourbon, Cointreau, rosemary syrup, and bitters. Out of my wheelhouse, but it went nice with my pork chop meal.
05BA50CA-7A0E-4C32-B0DF-EE1A30B7D96F.jpeg
ADE90F9F-647A-4047-B589-7CB51A5BC09F.jpeg

I’ve got to up my ice cube game, but this Old Fashioned is my favorite so far:
1 tsp + Demerara simple syrup
3 dashes Angostura bitters
2oz+ Bulleit rye

Unfortunately, I didn’t have any orange to peel and rub the glass.

Yes, sweet vermouth. Love ‘em.

2 shots Bullet Rye, 1 shot Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth and garnished with Luxardo Maraschino Cherries. Best served with one large cube ice. I like the round ones best.
Sounds good. My local grocery store had Bulleit Bourbon and Rye on sale for $27/bottle, so I picked up one of each. I like the rye a lot! I’ll have to try a manhattan sometime. And like I said, I’ll have to up my ice cube game.

Yes, sweet vermouth. Love ‘em.

2 shots Bullet Rye, 1 shot Carpano Antica Formula Vermouth and garnished with Luxardo Maraschino Cherries. Best served with one large cube ice. I like the round ones best.

I'm not a huge fan of Manhattans, but you've got the right ingredients! I prefer mine with half sweet and half dry vermouth.

There's a video in here somewhere about making your own clear ice, I think...

I love the big clear square ones they serve in nice places. I don't think my freezer will get cold enough to get them clear.

It's not about that, actually less cold is better. It's directional freezing that accomplishes the clear ice. As the ice freezes it pushes the impurities out, so the last area to freeze has that cloudy white portion. Usually this would be the bottom of the ice since it will freeze top down. If it freezes too fast it can actually trap bubbles/impurities in the clear portion.

Here's an example from a channel I quite like:

I use this cooler to accomplish the same thing, freeze for 24 hours than pull it out and cut it up:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-FlipLid-Cooler-Quart-Red/dp/B000W4RV6K/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1548554630&sr=1-6&refinements=p_89:Coleman

Wintersmiths...expensive, but the crystal clear balls and cubes are sexy as hell. Definite wow factor.

You can make clear ice balls with the ice ball molds that @DoubleEagle you posted and a shaker tin. A little more effort...but a lot less expensive :)

(Ice ball starts at about 2:45)

It's not about that, actually less cold is better. It's directional freezing that accomplishes the clear ice. As the ice freezes it pushes the impurities out, so the last area to freeze has that cloudy white portion. Usually this would be the bottom of the ice since it will freeze top down. If it freezes too fast it can actually trap bubbles/impurities in the clear portion.

Here's an example from a channel I quite like:

I use this cooler to accomplish the same thing, freeze for 24 hours than pull it out and cut it up:
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-FlipLid-Cooler-Quart-Red/dp/B000W4RV6K/ref=sr_1_6?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1548554630&sr=1-6&refinements=p_89:Coleman

Anything better than an ice pick to cut ice?

Anything better than an ice pick to cut ice?

I just use a bread knife and an ice mallet.

If you watch that cocktail chemistry vid I posted you'll see the basic technique I use. You just score the ice and split it with the mallet/hammer.

I've heard that a 3-5 prong ice chipper/pick is the best for chipping and shaping.

2 different pics of one of my latest creations.

BS(bar spoon) Demerara simple syrup
BS Luxardo Fernet
0.25 oz Gran Classico
2.0 oz gin

Stir, strain into coupe(or similar vessel) then expressed lemon twist over the top which is then thrown out. I feel like I’m terrible with cocktail names but I went with Mellow Gold due to the color. That’s also the name of Beck’s first album shrug

What is in it?

0.75 oz Gin
0.75 oz Cointreau
0.75 oz lemon juice
0.75 oz lillet blanc/cocchi americano/any quina liqueur
Absinthe rinse

This one was made with cocchi americano but I usually make mine with Kina D’or. Using a quina liqueur imparts more of a slight cherry-orange marmalade flavor and I prefer a orange twist.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom