Time for a cocktail! (7 Viewers)

mattduck

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
We have a whiskey thread and a beer thread.

It seems appropriate that we salute our own ability and the ability of others who mix and imbibe in the fine art of cocktails.

To kick us off I offer up this afternoon's offering of a Tobacco Road.

1 and 1/2 oz of decent/good mezcal
1 and 1/4 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Fino Sherry
2 dashes Peychaud's bitter
Garnish with a grapefruit twist

IMG_3311.JPG

Vesper Martini
  • 3 ounces very good quality gin
  • 1 ounce decent vodka
  • 1/2 ounce Lillet or Cocchi Aperitivo Americano
  • wide strip of lemon zest, for garnish
Mix in a cocktail shaker with ice until very cold and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with lemon zest.

Pictured here, with my daughter, Vesper.

IMG_6974.JPG

Mint Julep (already thinking about Derby day!)
  • 5 mint leaves LIGHTLY muddled in 1/2 oz simple syrup in a Julep cup (made out of a good conductor to preserve the ice)
  • 2oz Bourbon (we use Four Roses)
  • Crushed ice to the top
  • stir
  • Crushed ice to the top again
  • Add a mint sprig and powdered sugar dusting
  • Place 2 SMALL sippy straws near the sprig (let your nose get in that mint!!)
  • Serve with a napkin to hold and not freeze your fingers off
  • ROOT FOR YOUR HORSE BY A NOSE!!!!! (then collect all the monies)
The Caucasian Dude
  • 2oz Vodka
  • 1oz Kahlua
  • 2oz milk
  • garnish lightly with nutmeg and shaved chocolate
  • the dude abides

HURRICANES MOTHER FUCKERS!
  • 1/2 cup sugar : 1/2 cup water
  • Ice cubes
  • 2 cups rum
  • 2 cups passion fruit juice
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 2 cups pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup Grand Marnier
  • 4 fresh squeezed limes (~1/2 cup)
  • Angostura bitters
  • 8 fresh pineapple wedges
  1. Make the simple syrup with the sugar and water in a small sauce pan and allow to cool.
  2. Fill a pitcher with ice cubes. Add the rum, juices, Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice and simple syrup and stir. Strain the cocktail into glasses, top each with a dash of the bitters and garnish with a pineapple wedge.
  3. Get fucked up
The Night Hunter (aka an old fashioned....sorta)
  • 1/2 fresh squeezed VALENCIA orange
  • 1/2 fresh squeezed lemon
  • 2oz rye whiskey (love bullit)
  • 1/2 oz simple syrup
  • dash of angustura bitters
My Cadillac Margarita is a work in progress. I will post it when I dial it in a bit better......

Had this one at a new bar I went to this Saturday night - not sure if I have the proportions exactly correct. It was spicy though

Blood Orange Pepper Whiskey Cocktail

2 oz blood orange juice or fresh citrus juice of your choice
2 oz whiskey or bourbon
1/2–1 oz agave syrup (to taste)
1 jalapeño or other preferred pepper, sliced
3 oz IPA beer

To make: Fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Add juice, bourbon, agave syrup, and jalapeño or other pepper, and shake well. Strain cocktail into desired glass, add IPA.

IMG_3320.JPG

Vesper Martini
  • 3 ounces very good quality gin
  • 1 ounce decent vodka
  • 1/2 ounce Lillet or Cocchi Aperitivo Americano
  • wide strip of lemon zest, for garnish
Mix in a cocktail shaker with ice until very cold and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with lemon zest.

Pictured here, with my daughter, Vesper.

View attachment 80237
If I drank one of those, I'd pass out too!

I love a good cocktail, but never seem to have the right ingredients for things laying around. What are the staples to keep in the house that will work with a variety of things?

I love a good cocktail, but never seem to have the right ingredients for things laying around. What are the staples to keep in the house that will work with a variety of things?

Booze & fruit juice will get you a good chunk of fruity cocktail drinks. We built up a sizable bar over the years, and unless there is a planned beverage or beverage type, the cocktail of the night depends largely on what mixers we have lying around.

If you don't know much about what you'd like, I suggest the Webtender's "In My Bar" page. If you have the item in your house, you probably already like it. It's just a matter of finding where you want to go...

Booze & fruit juice will get you a good chunk of fruity cocktail drinks. We built up a sizable bar over the years, and unless there is a planned beverage or beverage type, the cocktail of the night depends largely on what mixers we have lying around.

If you don't know much about what you'd like, I suggest the Webtender's "In My Bar" page. If you have the item in your house, you probably already like it. It's just a matter of finding where you want to go...

Honestly, I always forget about that page. I have a ton of different alchol around the house + a large scotch collection, so that's not the issue it's always the lack of mixers that seem to get in my way.

Best suggestion I have for starting your home bar collection is ...

• Start with what you like and expand from there

Second best suggestion I have is ...
  • Begin by making less complex cocktails

Was just on vacation and was making rum cocktails in the room, before we went out to eat. Was pretty much winging it.

Rum (captain morgans spiced) but if i wasn't only there for a week i would have picked up some dark Rum to add to it.
Pineapple juice - Delmonte cans with a ring pull.
Nantucket Nectar pineapple Guava.

Fill glass with ice. VERY generous helping of Rum. Add a glug glug of pineapple juice. Add a Glug of guava. Done.

Can be tweaked for taste.

Honestly, I always forget about that page. I have a ton of different alchol around the house + a large scotch collection, so that's not the issue it's always the lack of mixers that seem to get in my way.

I've been making Side Cars and Kentucky Corpse Revivers lately.

Super easy to make.. VERY simple ingredients. And very tasty.

Bourbon
Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed)
Cointreau.
Simple Syrup. ( maybe for side car. not sure)

Depends On what you like.

Good quality gin, vodka, tequila, bourbon and whisky.
Small bottles (8oz) seltzer, ginger ale, coke.
Bitters
St. Germain (elderflower liquor), cointreau and a few other mixers in airplane bottle size (handy to have, since you'll never use a whole bottle)
Vermouth
Ice
Lemons/limes (or real juice, frozen)
Simple syrup
Jar of cocktail olives
Those little paper umbrellas

I've been making Side Cars and Kentucky Corpse Revivers lately.

Super easy to make.. VERY simple ingredients. And very tasty.

Bourbon
Lemon Juice (fresh squeezed)
Cointreau.
Simple Syrup. ( maybe for side car. not sure)

Sidecars are traditionally made with Cognac. Oh, and not with simple syrup, but with a sugared rim.

Other interesting variations can be made with Calvados or Armagnac.

Since we moved to Florida, it seems that we're drinking more rum than Scotch (sadly?). I've found that when sipping rums aren't appropriate, and we want a mixed drink, the key mixer is sweet and sour mix:

1/3 good rum (for mixed drinks, I use Cruzan Aged Rum)
1/3 sweet-and-sour mix
1/3 whatever fruit drink seems appropriate for that day's sunset -- anything from mango to cranberry juice
-- optional drops of Angostura bitters

Last edited:
Sidecars are traditionally made with Cognac. Oh, and not with simple syrup, but with a sugared rim.

Other interesting variations can be made with Calvados or Armagnac.

Since we moved to Florida, it seems that we're drinking more rum than Scotch (sadly?). I've found that when sipping rums aren't appropriate, and we want a mixed drink, the key mixer is sweet and sour mix

1/3 good rum (for mixed drinks, I use Cruzan Aged Rum)
1/3 sweet-and-sour mix
1/3 whatever fruit drink seems appropriate for that day's sunset -- anything from mango to cranberry juice
-- optional drops of Angostura bitters

Yes Cognac.. thats the one!

The Kentucky Corpse reviver is just the 3 main ingredients i listed (no simple syrup)

Well, it's not a classy drink, but it's the season and I needed a fun drink to unwind with.

20170224_205732.jpg

Hand Grenade
6 oz pineapple juice
2 oz Midori Melon Liqueur
2 oz simple syrup
2 oz ever clear
1 squeeze of lime juice

Throw it in a shaker and pour in the glass.

I've been on the west coast all week and just got in, so I'm just going through my mail and found a nice surprise from @David O.

I love em! Thanks!

Greenpoint Manhattan

2 oz Rye Whiskey
1/2 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/2 oz Punt e Mes
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters

Stirred, on the rocks with lemon peel and cherry

IMG_3372.JPG

Just remembered this one, very simple but complex

Vodka (quality not kwality)
Fresh Red Grapefruit peeled, skinned chunks
Sprig of Rosemary

pinch the sprig to release the aroma, drop it in the glass, drop in ice, add the chunks of red grapefruit, pour vodka over all and stir.

upload_2017-3-15_18-13-37.png

Had this mezcal cocktail this past Friday.

Spicy good with lemon juice + simple syrup.

0F0608E8-B413-4D61-BB25-A77FA3839E85.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom