Time for a cocktail! (5 Viewers)

I'm not a huge sweet vermouth fan, so I don't really prefer Manhattan's in general...but when I do make them I like 1/2 sweet and 1/2 dry vermouth, give it a try!

I like to mix it up as well and most often use Cynar instead of vermouth all together. I also prefer the Luxardo cherries and have 6+ different bitters I rotate through. This one is a keeper.

1543262601648.png

I like to mix it up as well and most often use Cynar instead of vermouth all together. I also prefer the Luxardo cherries and have 6+ different bitters I rotate through. This one is a keeper.

View attachment 221965

I use cherries pretty rarely as I'm not a huge fan of maraschino in general... Currently working thru a jar of Bada Bing cherries, pretty tasty.

Sitting at the airport waiting for my flight home. The bar here was remodeled since my last visit and it looks like they’ve stepped things up a bit.

About it try the Candied Walnut infused Knob Creek Old Fashioned

FF780836-EB25-47B0-8AC3-D84F2CC6E2D8.jpeg

Colleen and I used to have a Christmas Eve tradition. Part of the tradition included Margaritas. I'm thinking of stopping somewhere after work, grabbing some ingredients, and surprising her.

I haven't made them in a long time. I'm out of practice. She prefers hers on the rocks.

Middle shelf Tequila
Limes
Salt

This is where I falter. Any specific kind of margarita mix? or anyway to make it myself?

Colleen and I used to have a Christmas Eve tradition. Part of the tradition included Margaritas. I'm thinking of stopping somewhere after work, grabbing some ingredients, and surprising her.

I haven't made them in a long time. I'm out of practice. She prefers hers on the rocks.

Middle shelf Tequila
Limes
Salt

This is where I falter. Any specific kind of margarita mix? or anyway to make it myself?

One should *always* make Margaritas from scratch!

The recipe is very simple: 3 to 1 to 1
3 Tequila
1 Triple Sec
1 Lime Juice

Depending on volume, the 1 may be cups, a multiple of ounces, etc. The above as cups is 5 cups of liquid, which will increase in volume with the melted ice. Therefore, you may vary it depending on refills.

Here is what I do:
  1. Fill 2 margarita glasses with ice and water (to get them cold)
  2. Fill a pitcher with cubed ice (not crushed)
  3. Add Tequila, Triple Sec, and Lime Juice
  4. Stir
  5. Fill a small plate with good salt
  6. Empty the margarita glasses and rim the edge with a wedge of lime (the salt will stick better)
  7. Tap the glasses gently into the salt for coverage - amount varies by preference
  8. Fill glasses with crushed ice
  9. Pour margarita from pitcher, blocking ice from pouring out
  10. Hook the lime wedge to edge of glass
  11. Serve
A few key items:
  • Good tequila - since it's the majority of the drink, you want something you'll enjoy sipping
  • Key Lime Juice - this stuff is the bomb and a lovely lime juice flavor (you can find it next to the lemon and lime juice in the grocery store)
  • Real limes - no reason to skimp!
  • Good salt - kosher works well, not table salt
Good luck and happy holidays!

3 Tequila
1 Triple Sec
1 Lime Juice

Depending on volume, the 1 may be cups, a multiple of ounces, etc. The above as cups is 5 cups of liquid, which will increase in volume with the melted ice. Therefore, you may vary it depending on refills.

Here is what I do:
  4. Stir
  6. Empty the margarita glasses and rim the edge with a wedge of lime (the salt will stick better)
  7. Tap the glasses gently into the salt for coverage - amount varies by preference
  11. Serve
A few key items:
  • Good tequila - since it's the majority of the drink, you want something you'll enjoy sipping
  • Key Lime Juice - this stuff is the bomb and a lovely lime juice flavor (you can find it next to the lemon and lime juice in the grocery store)

Thank you for taking the time to post this for me. Outside of the crushed ice (she prefers them on the rocks), I will follow it to a tee. She also likes a little brandy to top it off? Any suggestions? Otherwise I will probably make it as posted.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas.

B

3 Tequila
1 Triple Sec
1 Lime Juice

Here is what I do:
  4. Stir
  11. Serve
A few key items:

yesssssssss. Awesome recipe will definitely try this. Thank you for posting.

This is almost as important as the tequila...
Good...
1545664330549.png

Bad...
1545664515152.png

...and the Ugly
1545664658977.png

(though players have brought us some of this, and I use it as a brine for pork shoulders)

Of course these are best...
1545664586969.png

...but squeezing a whole pitcher of these is some work.

Middle shelf Tequila
Limes
Salt

This is my go to recipe for margaritas these days:

3-4 dashes orange bitters
0.75 agave or simple syrup
1.0 fresh squeezed lime juice
1.5 oz middle shelf reposado/anejo tequila(never, ever blanco tequila)
Kosher salt rim

I haven’t used Cuantro or triple sec in a margarita for many years. I very much prefer the cleaner, more natural flavor of agave/simple syrup to the somewhat artificial orange flavors of Cuantro and triple sec.

I also find that adding orange bitters adds some depth and complexity to the citrus without bringing the orange flavor to the fore allowing the tequila to take center stage, as it should in a margarita. I also believe you should never use a blanco tequila(too harsh and not very interesting) and mixto tequilas are an abomination that should be banned.

Reposado and anejos are much more subtle, smooth, and complex so therefore an easy way to add character and depth to an already great cocktail.

I prefer mine on the rocks, but served up works great as well.

It’s of course extremely easy to make your own simple syrup(never make it on a stovetop!) and I would always cut the agave with hot water in a 1:1 ratio to make it easier to mix. Of course this will also stretch your agave so you’ll have more to use and keeps your margarita from being overly sweet as well as helping with consistency.

I can't find any Triple Sec for the margaritas with Grand Marnier work as a substitute? Feels like it's kind of the same thing

I can't find any Triple Sec for the margaritas with Grand Marnier work as a substitute? Feels like it's kind of the same thing
Yes, it's different but works well for a float for a Cadillac Marg. Cointreau is very close to triple Sec also.

I have been making the Villa Viva cocktail in place of margaritas for a few years now.

2oz Tequila
1oz Lime juice from limes
3/4 oz simple syrup(1:1)
Pinch of salt(only about 10-20 crystals)
Shake with ice
Strain into glass

Optional is a few drops of mescal or glass rinsed with mescal

I've been really crushing on Palomas lately. You can make them fancy but an easy version is

2oz tequila
1/2 lime juiced
Sprinkle of salt
Over ice, fill with grapefruit soda

This is my go to recipe for margaritas these days:

3-4 dashes orange bitters
0.75 agave or simple syrup
1.0 fresh squeezed lime juice
1.5 oz middle shelf reposado/anejo tequila(never, ever blanco tequila)
Kosher salt rim

I haven’t used Cuantro or triple sec in a margarita for many years. I very much prefer the cleaner, more natural flavor of agave/simple syrup to the somewhat artificial orange flavors of Cuantro and triple sec.

I also find that adding orange bitters adds some depth and complexity to the citrus without bringing the orange flavor to the fore allowing the tequila to take center stage, as it should in a margarita. I also believe you should never use a blanco tequila(too harsh and not very interesting) and mixto tequilas are an abomination that should be banned.

Reposado and anejos are much more subtle, smooth, and complex so therefore an easy way to add character and depth to an already great cocktail.

I prefer mine on the rocks, but served up works great as well.

It’s of course extremely easy to make your own simple syrup(never make it on a stovetop!) and I would always cut the agave with hot water in a 1:1 ratio to make it easier to mix. Of course this will also stretch your agave so you’ll have more to use and keeps your margarita from being overly sweet as well as helping with consistency.

.75 agave before or after it's cut with hot water? I assume after?

.75 agave before or after it's cut with hot water? I assume after?

After, otherwise it’s sickly sweet IMO

Edit: 1:1 ratio. That goes for honey syrup as well just in case you want to make a Bee’s Knees or a variation thereof IMO

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom