Time for a cocktail! (5 Viewers)

After dinner Kentucky Mules with the Mrs.

Enjoying the Oregon summer evening!

IMG_20180708_194509.jpg
IMG_20180708_194345.jpg

9803EE4C-4B6A-471B-BD1E-E34F7B723ECA.jpeg

Picked these up last week when visiting friends in Boston when we escaped heat (kinda) by going to Maine.

Drinking Mezcal Margaritas in them tonight.

Seeing all these fancy drinks and ingredients... I don't fit in here at all :p

I'm drinking at home way more often than at a bar, so it's mostly me who has to prepare the drinks. Being a software engineer and hence lazy by nature (what can be automated gets automated!) I'm of course going for the easy-to-make drinks with easy-to-buy ingredients that still taste good.

Summer time - El Cheapo Mojito. Peppermint plucked from the ever-regrowing supply on my balcony garden, ice cubes instead of crushed ice 'cause I don't have an ice crusher. Limes luckily are among the few exotic fruit my small local supermarket carries, and they have brown sugar as well. 5€ El Cheapo white rum 'cause you don't taste it in the mix anyway.

Winter time - Dude's Laziest White Russian. There's no such thing as half'n'half milk/cream here so I just go for straight milk - cream goes bad way too fast. Getting hold of a bottle of Kahlua is not that easy but with my preferred mixing ratio (1 Kahlua : 2 Vodka : 3 Milk) one bottle lasts for a good while. Vodka is a 5€ El Cheapo brand (I call it "Below Russian Standard", lol) that tastes like glass cleaner when drinking pure, doesn't matter in the mix though since the Kahlua flavor completely runs over it anyway.

In before potential drinking problem comments. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
(do keep in mind I live in Bavaria where beer is considered staple food)

Recently got turned on to the “transfusion”

Vodka (double)
Fill glass w/ ginger ale almost to the top of the glass
Splash of grape juice (or cranberry juice)

So goddamn good.

Wintersmiths did it first, but is very expensive. Others are doing it cheaper now. Trick is to freeze from one direction with a heat sink so the air bubbles can be forced out of the mold.

Experimental Lagarita

1oz lime juice
2oz tequila (I used Jimador repasado)
.5oz Cointreau (triple Sec)
.5oz Harlequin (curacao'ish)
.5oz agave syrup
Float 4-6oz Mexican lager

It's a bit heavy on agave flavor...I think I need to use a Blanco tequila and maybe only .25oz agave, or use simple instead.

IMG_20180718_203227.jpg

We busted the tourney, but we still have our Old Fashioned (y) :thumbsup:

IMG_20180721_213746.jpg

Gordon's Cup

Damn this was tasty!

1 lime, halved and quartered
4 cucumber wheels
2oz London dry gin of choice
.75oz simple

Shake and strain over rock(s)
Pinch kosher salt and cracked pepper

IMG_20180729_212502.jpg

I need to spring for some green chartreuse.

Drinking a couple of maple old fashioned to start the evening, but I'm going to cap it off with a Trinidad Sour...looking forward to trying it.

Oooooh! I love egg white cocktails! Post pics if you can :)

I'm not sure I could drink a drink based in angostura bitters:wtf:. Dont get me wrong I like using them for other drinks and I have some orange and cherry bitters as well. Does the egg white just make frothy or does it add something else

I'm not sure I could drink a drink based in angostura bitters:wtf:. Dont get me wrong I like using them for other drinks and I have some orange and cherry bitters as well. Does the egg white just make frothy or does it add something else

You ought to try it, it's actually quite sweet and smooth up front with a finish that lingers and becomes more sour and bitter over time. It's less bitter than a Negroni/Boulevardier, I feel like the Campari in those smacks your pallette up front. I think the egg white helped with the mouth feel as well.

Just tried one with the egg white...a little dry on the tongue for me. I'll save my bitters for my old fashioneds.

Just got back home from making a cocktail on live TV. Damn, it was nerve wracking! Feeling a little shakey from the experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom