Time for a cocktail! (5 Viewers)

Some of my current favorite cocktails,

Paper Plane
Last Word
Nolet’s gin Old Fashioned
Old Fashioned
Sazerac
Nolet’s and tonic
Whiskey sour(made the classic way with egg whites)
Smokin’ Cactus(a spicy Paloma/margarita hybrid that we serve at work)

Can post recipes later if anyone is interested

Tell me more

0.5 oz 1 to 1 simple syrup
1.0 oz citrus
1.0 oz grapefruit
1.5 oz El Peloton De La Muerte Mezcal
3-4 jalapeño slices.

Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously for about 12 seconds, then double strain into a tajin salt rimmed rocks glass filled with ice. Drink quickly, then have another :D

Our in house citrus consists of a 60/40 mix of lemon to lime juice. If not squeezing your own juice, go with fresh lime.

Edit: double strain to keep veggie particles out of the cocktail.

89368042-BCA4-4574-B9B2-2027B1BDE00F.jpeg

Simple mezcal margarita

3 ... 2 ... 1

3 parts mezcal
2 parts of orange liqueur (Contreau or ...)
1 part fresh lime juice
Pinch of kosher salt

Shake over ice and serve

Attachments

• 039F70B0-AF09-487A-8AA7-E04E295BC754.jpeg
    039F70B0-AF09-487A-8AA7-E04E295BC754.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 136
Currently enjoying a Templeton Rye Sazerac at my local while we shoot the sh*t and watch game 2 of the World Series.

20871BD8-7EA9-4711-9D1F-95CCF3F244E9.jpeg

Lion's Tail

Ingredients

• 2 ounces bourbon
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce allspice dram
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • 1 teaspoon simple syrup (or less, to taste)
Direction

Combine bourbon, lime, allspice dram, bitters, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake well and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

e29a240ea8b2d68e5be4ef0a04200b93.jpg

(borrowed image from interweb as I forgot to snap a pic tonight)

Vesper Martini
  • 3 ounces very good quality gin
  • 1 ounce decent vodka
  • 1/2 ounce Lillet or Cocchi Aperitivo Americano
  • wide strip of lemon zest, for garnish
Mix in a cocktail shaker with ice until very cold and strain into a coupe glass. Garnish with lemon zest.

Pictured here, with my daughter, Vesper.

View attachment 80237

I love this drink! James Bond would be happy, however, I think he uses Gordon’s Gin. You should try it. It’s not that bad actually.

Lion's Tail

Ingredients

• 2 ounces bourbon
  • 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce allspice dram
  • 1 dash Angostura bitters
  • 1 teaspoon simple syrup (or less, to taste)
Direction

Combine bourbon, lime, allspice dram, bitters, and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker and fill with ice. Shake well and strain into chilled cocktail glass.

e29a240ea8b2d68e5be4ef0a04200b93.jpg

(borrowed image from interweb as I forgot to snap a pic tonight)

Not sure how I missed this post. Think I'm going to try making one of these later today.

Lots of coupe glasses in this thread. Impressive that’s a part of your glassware. Very mid-century.

I love a coupe glass for cocktail, but a frosted Nick n' Nora glass is by far my favorite vessel for cocktails

STEE4854RA351.jpg
4854RA351-2.jpg

My latest creation:

0.5 oz Amaro Averna
1.0 oz Aperol
1.5 oz Bulleit bourbon
1 dash Trinity Bittercube bitters
1-2 dashes chocolate bitters to taste

Shake and strain into a large whiskey cube filled rocks glass. Top with Heretic Chocolate Hazelnut Porter. Garnish with expressed orange peel.

The concept was to create a whiskey based beer cocktail based on the classic Boulevardier. In my initial attempt I subbed Averna for the sweet vermouth and kept the Campari in but it resulted in too bitter of a flavor profile. i wanted to keep some of that orange zest flavor so opted for Aperol instead. The bittercube bitters add a touch of spice and the chocolate bitters pairs well the porter and aperol. Averna adds a nice bit of cola to the mix. Up the Averna to 0.75 oz for added cola and sweetness.

I've been calling it the Beervardier :)

Boulevardier recipe for those not familiar:

1.0 oz sweet vermouth
1.0 oz Campari
1.0-1.5 oz bourbon of choice

Expressed orange peel garnish

I am unfamiliar with your "King". However, as I am currently in the planning stages for a trip to New Orleans in February, I will stop by the Roosevelt (3 blocks from my hotel) just to pay homage to your king.

Good plan. The "King" is of course the timeless Sazerac. Picture taken at the Sazerac bar...not the birthplace of the drink but they probably serve the most of them anywhere in the city. They are also famous for their Gin Ramos Fizz. Be prepared for sticker shock with the prices there.

The Sazerac is, since 2007, legally the official drink of the New Orleans. It has a fascinating history and short documentary was even recently made about it. Technically speaking it is simply an "improved" old fashioned using Rye, Pachauds, a little simple syrup or sugar, and an absinth rinse. Stirred and serve up with lemon oil expressed over the top. To me it is the greatest of all cocktails...though I feel I make them better at home.

New Orleans is the greatest cocktail city in that they invented so many drinks that never went out of fashion. I highly recommend a French 75 at the French 75 bar as well as the Vue Carre at the hotel Monteleone. They use cognac instead of gin with much better results. So many great cocktail bars there. Avoid the Hurricane at Pat O'Briens and get a fresh version elsewhere in interested.

Here is the documentary on the Sazerac. The opening scene is in the French 75 bar not the Sazerac bar
http://bittersoutherner.com/the-new-orleans-sazerac-history-film/

Last edited:
4C914294-3775-4029-8252-98E09EC817FC.jpeg

The Backyard

Had this in a restaurant in Los Olivos (kinda near Santa Barbara) last night.

Bourbon, blackberry, honey, rosemary

On the advice of @Old State , we tried not one, but two different Sazerac drinks...
First, a local dive bar. New Orleans natives are very friendly and colorful people. Just finding a hole-in-the-wall and conversing with them for a time is a great way to enjoy a drink.
2018-01-31 18.52.25.jpg

Then we went for the expensive one...
2018-01-31 19.13.24.jpg

C84A5047-8299-40A3-9AB9-492C6D6E90AD.jpeg
On the advice of @Old State , we tried not one, but two different Sazerac drinks...
First, a local dive bar. New Orleans natives are very friendly and colorful people. Just finding a hole-in-the-wall and conversing with them for a time is a great way to enjoy a drink.
View attachment 151913

Then we went for the expensive one...
View attachment 151912

Excellent. My wife just asked if we could do NOLA for New Years and stay at the Roosevelt again (where the Sazerac bar . Twist my arm!
The lobby outside the Sazerac bar looks like this during Christmas

8EB52495-D92A-4BE9-9102-1F75A41F8771.jpeg

Been too long since my last post

Tonight’s cocktail is Sfumato

1/2 oz Sfumato
1/2 gum syrup
3/4 lemon juice
1 1/2 bourbon

For me, it's hard to beat a simple Old Fashioned:
Sugar cube, Angostura bitters, nice cherry, orange peel, splash of club soda--muddle, add ice and bourbon or rye.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom