Blind Cigar Tasting Competition + Gambol (1 Viewer)

FestiveKnight

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
It’s time for some more cigar fun. This time with a competitive flair and some optional gambol.

Here’s the the gist: blind cigar tasting competition, prize of a couple cigars for most accurate guessing, optional betting on others’ ability to guess.

More Detail:
  1. Members sign up to participate
  2. If we get to 10+ members, we do this thing for real and I collect payment
  3. I order several FestiveKnight Deliciousness Likely Guaranteed (TM) cigars
  4. I remove the bands from said cigars and ship them out to participants
  5. Participants have four weeks to smoke the cigars and fill out tasting reviews (for fun) and score sheets (for COMPETITION). The most accurate guesser(s) wins a couple sticks from me. More info on this below.
  6. [Optional Gambling] Any PCF members, including those not participating in the smoking, can bet on the score order of the participants. The bettor(s) who most accurately guess the scores of the participants wins a couple sticks from me. More on this below.
Even More Detail:
  1. Cost - my target is three sticks around the $8, $12, and $16 price ranges for a total of $45 including reshipping. I am committing now to this price and will swallow the difference if I end up a bit above it.
  2. Tasting Competition - points will be awarded in the following manner. For each stick:
    1. Length (0.5 pts)
    2. Width (0.5 pts) (within +- 2/64”)
    3. Wrapper Origin (2 pts)
    4. Binder Origin (4 pts)
    5. Filler Origin(s) (4pts)
    6. Brand (6 pts)
    7. Cigar (8 pts)
  3. Gambol Scoring - before sticks are shipped out, participating gamblers can bet on the order that the tasting competitors will score. These bets will take the form of a list of the five members you think will score the highest in order of highest to lowest score. 1 pt per guess that is accurately someone in the top 5, 1 additional point of they’re in the correct position for a maximum potential of 10 points (correctly guessing the 5 highest scorers and putting them in the correct order).
Last Details:
  1. Payment will be via PPFF
  2. CONUS shipping addresses only
  3. Any PCF member can participate

For this first round, while I have no clue how this will go, we wont have gambolers competing for anything other than the chance to win some sticks from me. But I wouldn’t be opposed to future rounds allowing betting sticks or something if people want to up the ante.

I will make score sheets that I will send out that also include some rules for the competition (e.g. no rulers to measure length!). Score sheets will also have spots for tasting notes. I think blind tasting discussion alone has been quite fun for me in the past and would be enjoyable here.

I have had this idea cooking for a bit and I hope a bunch of y’all’re interest. Tagging folks who participated in the box pass and will mention in the main cigar thread.

If we get to 10+ participants, I’ll shoot for collecting payment and ordering towards the end of next week.

@Hot Nuts @NotRealNameNoSir @CraigT78 @Lil Tuna @Irish @JustDave @Jonesey07 @chippitydoodah @ngmcs8203 @RowlettTexasChipGuy

I'd love to participate but I'm on the road for the next six weeks and can't commit to meeting a timeline.

Fun idea, but at this point I smoke such a narrow range of cigars (I know what I like lol) that I'd be beyond useless trying to guess all the new stuff.

Okay, pivot — drop all the competition. Just periodic rounds of group blind cigar tastings at cost.

This also allows me to fully participate and means there can be some input on types of stick.

would anyone be in for that?

I used to be a strict "these are the cigars I like and only ones I smoke" group (unless gifted). Then one day a member of the cigar community decided to send a handful of us a blind sample of 10 cigars with the stipulation being that we had to rate the cigar in a handful of categories and then try and guess the price point. They were all Gurkhas. He chose those of us who were so anti-Gurkha it was probably annoying the crap out of him.

Turns out all of us really enjoyed at least 1-2 of the Gurkhas shipped.

If you're stuck in your "these are the cigars I smoke" ways, I highly recommend this exercise. You might end up being surprised.

Blind tasting is not really my thing. I did that with Bourbon and disappointed myself. lol. I am also going to be traveling a lot in the next couple of months. Ten freaking Gurkhas? I don't like those Gurkha die hards. Have one in my circle. He dislikes AJs, but loves Gurkhas.

Blind tasting is not really my thing. I did that with Bourbon and disappointed myself. lol. I am also going to be traveling a lot in the next couple of months. Ten freaking Gurkhas? I don't like those Gurkha die hards. Have one in my circle. He dislikes AJs, but loves Gurkhas.
Yup; reason I put Bulleit in a decanter, people just want it to feel fancier.

If you can figure out 7 Cigar, you can back into the brand, wrapper, filler if you know it. I stopped trying to remember all of that stuff because my brain can only hold so much information at my age. Need that space for other shit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom