Thoughts on AK in this spot... (1 Viewer)

kirchhausen

Flush
Reaction score
20 person tournament with rebuys up to the first break, there were 5 rebuys. Buyin is $40, $5 of it is a bounty. Average stack is $31250.

We are 8 handed, blinds are 800/1600.

UTG (24,100 chips) Ultra-nitty tight ultra-passive player limps.

folds to cut-off.

Hijack (27,300) shoves. She is a unique poker player. She is ultra loose, usually passive, but can also be aggressive in weird spots. Her aggressiveness usually appears as scared play, when she thinks she has a good hand but not quite premium. This is a big shove.

CO (Solid Tag) folds with pained look on his face.

Hero (36,200) wakes up in SB with AK off.

What to do?

Last edited:
How many get paid out?

slow blind progression?

If its a slow blind progression I might fold.

If the blinds are moving quickly then I might re shove.

Edited to reflect new blinds of $800/$1600 in OP.

A shove here from the bettor is still 17x the BB, which is high in my opinion and certainly indicative of a low to medium pair (to your point). If Hero truly ranges Villain in a manner that leaves 2 live overcards, then it's likely a flip. Blinds are low enough that Hero still has time to make a move, but it's close. I wouldn't fault either decision.

Personal preference, I'm probably folding.

Last edited:
Top 5 get paid. Usually everyone chips in $5 for the bubble, so likely 6th gets $30 back as well. Blind levels are 15 minutes.

Top 5 get paid. Usually everyone chips in $5 for the bubble, so likely 6th gets $30 back as well. Blind levels are 15 minutes.

What I meant by "quick" wasn't the time length (part of it). More so the BB progression. Is the next level 300-600, then 400-800, 500-1000 ect...... or does it jump from 200-400 to 400-800?

OK I had my hand histories wrong, the blind level was 800-1600. Sorry for the mix-up, I though that seemed wrong when I typed it.

That changes things. I think this is a good spot for her to shove with 16 x's the BB. With only 20 ish BB's left I think I might just shove here. Folding isn't bad. You have a little time to wait. Its getting close for you.

Just to add a little more depth to the "uniqueness" of the Hijack player - I observed her earlier in the same evening leading out 1/2 pot for about 3k on a 235r flop into the pre-flop raiser, who shoved for about 20k more. She snapped him off with KQo (not even a backdoor draw) and his 44 held up. Her play is pretty erratic, but she tends to make more rash decisions in the later stages of tournaments. I rarely try to bluff her but do go for max value, even pretty thin value, when I know she's not going anywhere. She also seems to have difficulty folding hands with pre-flop value even after bad boards come out (i.e. calling off with 77 on a KJx board). Most of the time I've seen her overshove she's had the nuts or pretty close to it and scares away any action and then proudly shows her hand.

I would probably range her pre-flop shove in this spot as any pair, KQ+, AT+, weighted more towards the stronger hands.

UTG's range is actually probably even tighter, TT+, AJ+ and it's entirely possible she's sitting on a premium pair and not even considering her limp to be a trap.

I lean towards agreeing with the other player you discussed this with afterwards for the main reasons (in no particular order):
  • You're potentially up against 2 opponents with strong ranges. Even if you dominate one of the two, your 3-way equity is not ideal.
  • You have little/no fold equity, other than the possibility that UTG will fold after you overshove and show strength.
  • You have one of the larger stacks at the table and are putting the majority of it in if you call, possibly on a big flip or worse. Probably a bad ICM move, given the payouts and structure.
  • You have a skill edge over both opponents and have plenty of time to outplay them.
  • UTG and Hijack have similar stack sizes, so you won't gain much from a sidepot if you do get it in 3-way.
  • What Krafty said.

I don't think calling is super bad overall, but it's not the ideal spot to put a lot of chips in. It'd be totally different if you were shoving over a limp and normal-sized raise or a raise and call.

SO I re-shoved AK.

my read on Hijack shoving light was right, I had her dominated (A-10 off). Unfortunately, UTG limper had the higher part of her narrow range (QQ) and I didn't improve.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom