Crazy Pineapple - What do you put Villan on here? (1 Viewer)

Jaqk80

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Good afternoon.

I ran into another hand that stumped me and would love some thoughts on what you all think villain may be holding in this spot.

We are early in a Crazy Pineapple MTT. Stack sizes:
UTG 159 BB (villan)
CO 17 BB
BT 128 BB (hero)
SB 66 BB
BB 47 BB

No reads.

Hero Open Limps from UTG, CO folds, Hero wakes up with AQJ rainbow. We raise to 4 BBs, SB and BB fold, UTG calls.

Flop

Pot is 10BB
Flop comes Ah 3h 6d

The only heart we're holding is the queen.

UTG leads out with a 12BB over bet.

Question: What should we be putting Villan on here (or are they just a bad player)?

Turn

The only thing I was pretty confident in was that villain was not on a flush draw. AK was one thought and a low set was another. I can also see cases where villain could bluff with a holding like 77-TT hoping to use the ace to scare us off.

I ended up flatting the river and dropping my Jack.

Pot at the turn is 34BBs
Turn comes Jh

Villan continues aggression with a 34BB bet

Remainder of the hand:

The 3rd heart is a gift. I don't think Villain can be holding a flush at this point, but it is something we can convincingly represent.
I ended up min-raising and villain folded

The flop action really confused me. I'm not sure if my line was correct. As always, thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

I don’t like/play pineapple very much but AQJr doesn’t sound like a power house pre, but I guess if it’s only 5-handed (?), maybe it’s fine.

Don’t understand the turn raise. Seems to me you were bluffing with the best hand.

I don’t like/play pineapple very much but AQJr doesn’t sound like a power house pre, but I guess if it’s only 5-handed (?), maybe it’s fine.

Don’t understand the turn raise. Seems to me you were bluffing with the best hand.
It's not a powerhouse hand. It's ahead of most hands though and plays ok from the button.

Where I stand on the flop is really the question though. I will occasionally donk bet a board like that, but not quite so strong and usually with a king on the board instead of an ace.

Usually when I see that level of aggression, villain is ahead of TPTK.

My thoughts...

In retrospect, villain was bluffing. What value hands I could put villain on, this is tough, I would say the low sets are there as all pairs probably become playable 5-handed. Maybe he backed into A3 with some wheel connecter and a suited ace like A23, A34, A35? Probably could have some AK hands too. Beyond, that, really tough to put villain on anything better than AQ, so I can understand the flop call on this board.

Effectively, you used the scare card on the turn to turn your hand into a bluff. The :qh: blocker is significant with the :ah: on board, really limits what hearts villain could have. He might have to fold AK there. You may have had the best hand, but it's tough to get value from anything weaker.

As for preflop, I don't see AQJ rainbow as a raising hand at all, even 5-handed. It might be worth a limp, full handed I think you need to be suited somewhere to play this in early and mid positions for sure. With three starting cards most players leaving the gate will have a pair, making it very tough to navigate flops without a redraw to beat three of a kind.

My thought is that villain was doing this with a weak two pair or weak ace. Sounds like they were trying to bully you off the beat hand and didn't succeed.

I can probably find a fold given the board texture on that turn. Ax isn't a great hand to have here, but incidentally, villain likely had the same.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom